Our Fine Feathered Friends in the Backyard!

by AK - Jeff 35 Replies latest social physical

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Sad Emo - is this the bird you are calling a Robin?

Hi Jeff - yes our robins look more like that Romanian variety than yours! I think the robin we have is slightly smaller and rounder than the flycatcher maybe?

• BrentR
    BrentR

We have alot of owls also but they are tough to photograph since they only come out after sunset.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Hi Jeff - yes our robins look more like that Romanian variety than yours! I think the robin we have is slightly smaller and rounder than the flycatcher maybe?

Funny how terms differ all over. The US Robin is about 8 inches tall [maybe the size of a blackbird ]. Yours looks much like the flycatcher.

I wish we had your robin over here - what a pretty bird.

Jeff

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I don't have to feed 'em, there's enough food around for 'em to eat.

Plenty of dead deer and varmints all around.

Some get hit by vehicles, others die after a bad marksman doesn't hit them in the right place.

Here's a bird I see often (Turkey Vulture) feeding on a carcass:

BA- Nature warms the heart.

• Celia
    Celia

all of thes birds show up at my feeder, and chickadees :

alt and tufted titmice : alt

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I love all of the bird pictures!!! I took a pic of some baby chickadees this spring...I couldn't believe how big they were and still in the nest!

080807156.jpg picture by Frosti1

• TD
    TD

Whole flocks of these damn things: (Great tailed grackles)

They're not a native here. They're aggresive and drive off most of the birds that are native.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Hadn't ever seen any of these in the wild around these parts until 1995, when the first nesting pair in a long time moved in:

http://islandfox.org/uploaded_images/beagle-706532.jpg

BA- Nowadays, I see Bald eagles around here on a regular basis.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Nowadays, I see Bald eagles around here on a regular basis.

That is AMAZING! I have heard there were some around this area (between PA and NY) but I have yet to see one! I can't imagine how excited I would be if one flew into my range of vision! The prettiest wild bird I have ever seen was a small white owl along the roadside in a tree in WVa. I must have sat there 20 minutes just watching him from the car until everyone wanted to get home and I had to leave.

He was SO beautiful.

• oompa
    oompa

No photo does this rare bird justice. I have a plethora of other birds here in NC, but

have only drawn 2 Indigo Buntings. They are actually iridescent........oompa

, alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit