Comments and questions that came to mind while on "the" site.

by bite me 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bite me
    bite me

Unlike another post of someone trying to trick us into looking at the watchtower.org I am not doing that, I have an honest question regarding something that was on the site. I was actually looking up missing verses and other information. Doing a little research of my own if you'd want to call it that. Anyway, I came accross their Christmas article. It looks oddly familar, like the one they had last year and the year before.. You get the point. :0)

Well, as I was reading it, the section of How Should Jesus Christ be remembered. I really do not see a comment(s) of being "allowed" or not being allowed to celebrate Christmas. They give history of the orgin of how Christmas came to be. They throw verses from other translations. By throwing verses from other translations, I think this catches the innocent reader off guard into think that JW's use other Bible translations aside from their own published version.

To me, the article did not make too much sense. I felt like the article was going back and forth on information and did not have a final point other then how they end every other point they try to prove.

"Jehovah’s Witnesses have made an extensive study of the Holy Scriptures, which has helped them to understand what the commands of God and Jesus are. They would be pleased to assist you in gaining insight into those vital commands so that you can remember Jesus as he should be remembered."

This is the article I'm talking about. What are your views on this?

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20041215/article_02.htm

• Rooster
    Rooster

Rbi8Matthew1:20-2:12 ***

But after he had thought these things over, look! Jehovah’s angel appeared to him in a dream, saying: "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary your wife home, for that which has been begotten in her is by holy spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you must call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." 22 All this actually came about for that to be fulfilled which was spoken by Jehovah through his prophet, saying: 23 "Look! The virgin will become pregnant and will give birth to a son, and they will call his name Im·man´u·el," which means, when translated, "With Us Is God."

Then Joseph woke up from his sleep and did as the angel of Jehovah had directed him, and he took his wife home. 25 But he had no intercourse with her until she gave birth to a son; and he called his name Jesus.

After Jesus had been born in Beth´le·hem of Ju·de´a in the days of Herod the king, look! astrologers from eastern parts came to Jerusalem, 2 saying: "Where is the one born king of the Jews? For we saw his star [when we were] in the east, and we have come to do him obeisance." 3 At hearing this King Herod was agitated, and all Jerusalem along with him; 4 and on gathering together all the chief priests and scribes of the people he began to inquire of them where the Christ was to be born. 5 They said to him: "In Beth´le·hem of Ju·de´a; for this is how it has been written through the prophet, 6 ‘And you, O Beth´le·hem of the land of Judah, are by no means the most insignificant [city] among the governors of Judah; for out of you will come forth a governing one, who will shepherd my people, Israel.’"

Then Herod secretly summoned the astrologers and carefully ascertained from them the time of the star’s appearing; 8 and, when sending them to Beth´le·hem, he said: "Go make a careful search for the young child, and when YOU have found it report back to me, that I too may go and do it obeisance."9 When they had heard the king, they went their way; and, look! the star they had seen [when they were] in the east went ahead of them, until it came to a stop above where the young child was. 10 On seeing the star they rejoiced very much indeed. 11 And when they went into the house they saw the young child with Mary its mother, and, falling down, they did obeisance to it. They also opened their treasures and presented it with gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh. 12 However, because they were given divine warning in a dream not to return to Herod, they withdrew to their country by another way.

Gifts were giving to Jesus for being born king. Was it on his birthday that the wise men showed up to his house? Why did "Jehovah" allow these men to make it to Jesus' house in the first place?

So Jesus’ birthday was celebrated with gifts and it was acceptable to God! (or as you would like to call Him Jehovah)

• bite me
    bite me

So Jesus’ birthday was celebrated with gifts and it was acceptable to God! (or as you would like to call Him Jehovah)

personally I call Him God. :-)

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

The gift giving was for the preservation of life as they would be fleeing to Egypt until called out of there as he prophecy says, not focusing on gifts but rather why. The gifts were used later for living in Egypt.

abr

• oompa
    oompa

Biteme....PLEASE tell me it was not my post yesterday that you thought was a trick to get ANYONE to go to WT.org! I never meant to give that impression from the subject line, but the content could not be mistaken for that purpose.

And your post is dead on about that stupid article. But really how can anything focusing attention on Jesus be bad! But as far as the Bible account, it was his actual BIRTH being celebrated with gifts and that is still done as well today with showers, not his birthday. But I get your point, and there is NOTHING wrong with celebrating Birthdays and if you want some fun, ask ANY dub to prove that birthdays are any worse to celebrate than a wedding anniversary. That is all it frikkin is...an anniversary celebration of a birth. I love remembering all the times I got to go home or to the frikkin library when everyone is school was having cupcakes!!!!!

Rooster quoted this: And when they went into the house they saw the young child with Mary its mother, and, falling down, they did obeisance to it.

I thought he was in a manger, barn, cave or something? How have I never nocticed a house?....................oompa

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Rooster quoted this: And when they went into the house they saw the young child with Mary its mother, and, falling down, they did obeisance to it.

I thought he was in a manger, barn, cave or something? How have I never nocticed a house?....................oompa

Dr. Luke is the only writer that describes the birth of the Christ child and he does mention a manger or feeding trough. The quote above is from Matthew and may have taken place much later, "young child" later.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The Watchtower Society excels in taking a snippet of scripture out of context and using it to back up its own doctrines. They will take other snippets, also out of context, to further back it up. When necessary, they will alter their own Bible and make it fit. Then they build an article, usually poorly written and full of specious logic, and reuse most of it year after year. Occasionally they will change the details, but the specious logic is always the same.

There are reasons for banning Christmas. One is that the money spent on gifts and decorations can now go into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. Time spent on Christmas shopping, decorating, and baking those Christmas cookies can now be spent out in field circus during the campaign. And, people can be pushed out in field circus on Christmas Day when everyone is going to be at home. But most important is that they do not want children to have any fun. Giving and receiving gifts is too much fun. Of course they will not tell you that. So they resort to the scriptutes taken out of context, specious logic, and good old fashioned force.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

a) It's plain that the pejorative language used to describe Christmas and celebrating Christ's birth equate to damning the Holiday.

b) Of course they won't in such a public forum tell people flat out "you're following Satan if you celebrate Christmas" - no one would then click on the link to have someone "assist" them. You gotta entice people with a modicum of mystery to get them to, er, bite.

• bite me
    bite me

oompa, noooo it was not your topic that I was refering to. It was another guys post. I'm sure he was being silly and all or trying to be, a tiny bit rude, but he drew a lot of us to look at the site looking for something.

Aside from that, you are in the clear of any wrong doing in my view. :-)

• bite me
    bite me

I'm actually going to have to look this up. It actually says house? amazing..

Off hand I cannot remember the verse. can anyone share that?

edit.. i found the chapter.. lol guess i should have looked up further in the message.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit