You know something I'll never understand...

by RisingEagle 19 Replies latest jw friends

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Is just how deep the witlings manage to get their carp into the minds of people. Let me clarify that. With my active relatives I understand the brainwashing, because they continuously feed on the pap from the book publishing company. What I truly don't understand is the wife's relative that has been out for years and in no way lives the lifestyle of a witling. Smokes, drinks, celebrates holidays blah, blah, blah.

On Saturday my 7 yr old had her first gymnastics meet (three blue ribbons and a red, thanks for asking) and we talk the relative into goin along with us. This is a typical 'worldly' event made even worse by the fact that it's run by religious folks. So the event starts with a prayer followed by the national anthem. This bothers the former jw enough that he separates from us and goes to sit in another spot, in between leaving the building to go outside and smoke. I focus on my daughter and let it, and him, go (sort of, he's held hostage because I drove).

The event somes to a close and it's time to hand out ribbons. The gym has it set up so Santa Claus is the one handing out the ribbons to the girls. Very cute, lots of great photos and memories.

We go to lunch afterwards and listen to our daughter tell us all the 'cool' stuff that went on even though we were right there, because nothing beats a childs excitement. Mr ex-jw says nothing all during lunch, so after I paid I followed him outside to watch him smoke. I asked what was bothering him and he starts reading me the riot act about all the things he saw that in his opinion ***inhale marlboro*** were wrong and 'against what we were taught about jehovah' ***exhale***. So I started pointing out some of the obvious garbage that the WTS has been doing in the years since we left, pedophilia scandals, UN involvement and on and on. After I get so far he actually pointed in my face using the two fingers holding his smoke and told me, 'I don't care about any of that apostate crap xxx tells me you read about. If I ever make the decision to quit these things and get my life straightened out, I'll go back to the witnesses. They are the only ones with the truth, and you know it!"

With that ringing endorsement, how could I ever have left?

• penny2
    penny2

Yes it is amazing, his mind is still trapped. I know of several people disfellowshipped in the past who have gone back. One was disfellowshipped for many years. They still always believed that it is the "truth" and if they had the courage to straighten out their lives, they would go back.

It's the power of brainwashing.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hard to understand, for sure :(

S

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

You've got to remember that most people are actually pretty stupid, and there's nothing you can do about that.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

he's got it both ways: he gets to smoke and live his life the way he wants AND criticize you.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Df'd people are often the most hardcore about their beliefs because they know they have to try extra hard to get back in the good graces of friends and family. I've heard of a few df'd people who think they "are not living up to Jehober's righteous standards." Really they're not jumping through the Borg's hoops, but that never sinks in for them.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Sorry, I don't have much to say except I found the description of the Marlboro pretty funny!

• Aphrodite
    Aphrodite

Good story, entertaining and typical of so many.

• Maddie
    Maddie

I do know that being df'd doesn't automatically mean that the indoctrination and mind control goes away. I was df'd many years ago at a time when I was very ill and at an extremely low period in my life. However, I still believed the JW's had the "Truth", defended them to everyone and went back and got reinstated. I grateful that my mind has been freed from their control now.

Maddie

• Quentin
    Quentin

It happens...my father was df'd for many years...got reinstated...stayed active about 10 years....left for twenty, than went back...he was a full time pioneer when he died...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit