For any who were raised a JW...

by rache31 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Almost everyone I grew up with left also...and if they didn't leave their only doing it for social reasons.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I am 38, and have tracked what happened to 40 young ones I grew up with. 75% (30) have left.

Jehovah's Witnesses have the highest turnover of any Christian religion.

http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/statistics.htm shows that up to 50% of those getting baptised are now leaving, and the conclusion of http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/mindcontrol.htm also shows independant research that makes the same point.

• rache31
    rache31

Thanks for the feedback. jwfacts, that sounds right. I remember as a kid, hearing from the platform how many thousands in the US were df'd each year. Of course, they were telling us like it was a warning but I used to wonder what the total was every year. And that wasn't counting those that left willingly...

• yknot
    yknot

Good question!

To the best of my knowledge there are no "true believers" left of my age group. Few still attend because of parents. Some have moved and are inactive. But all in all because of the family ties no one has outright and publically declared "Bull S**t".

The only main "leaving" I can recall was for financial gain. The couple in question joined the Baptist (in a Baptist run town 6 counties north of here) but don't profess trinity.

We have 2 atheist now, and most others just retain the the no trinity, hell or immortality of soul.

Frankly more would openly leave if there were a place to worship/fellowship without having to subscribe to trinity.

The trinitarians in my area can be downright hateful.

Y

• Es
    Es

I only know of a few that left, and one ended up going back!

The funny thing is the people who have left dont celebrate bdays and christmas as they think its wrong and so they dont really have much to do with me because I do!!!! Which is really quite ironic as one of the girls cheated on her hubby with another bro in the congo, and yet sat there and told me she still believed it was the truth and that one day she would go back!!!!

es

• rache31
    rache31

Es, Merry Christmas to you and your family! Whether I celebrated or not, I wouldn't treat someone like they were wrong for doing it. Well, it is hard to deprogram...

• changeling
    changeling

I'm 48. Most of my age group are still "in".

changeling

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

A lot of the older kids left, you know, the ones you look up to. From my generation some have left that I know of for sure. I moved accross the country when I was 23. Our best man was raised in and he left 12 years ago. My husband left 8 yrs ago. My sister and I left 2 months ago. I know of about 4 others for sure. My best friend in high school who pioneered longer than I did, is still in. Married with no kids.

momz

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Out of the 6 or 7 close friends I had when graduating from High School 1 passed away and the rest left, and rather rapidly I might add. And yes, we were considered trouble.

• Twitch
    Twitch

I have no idea who's still in; it was so long ago now and lots of ppl have come and gone since. If I were to meet someone from the old days who left, it would be kinda cool but I ain't lookin' for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit