Are the Anointed real?

by yknot 21 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

Dear JWDers

As I continue to question all that I have ever known, I am now at the subject of the anointed .

Was there ever anyone really anointed after Pentecost? Is there Biblical scripture to show that there are such a group of people with special appointments? I am really confused on this subject and trying to understand greek is well "greek to me". Are they real and alive now or is this just a JW fairytale ?

Cordially,

?Yknot?

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

We have 2 who claim to be annointed in our small congregation. I know - what are the odds? We're truly blessed.

One of our smarter elders referrs to one of these psychos at least as "one of the disappointed". He's cool.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Biblically there aren't two classes of Christians as the JWs claim but there is only one faith, one Lord and one body or Church. All Christians should be part of the New Covenant and adopted by God through the Holy Spirit so as to be sons and inheritors rather than servants as were the Jews under the Mosaic Covenant. Otherwise there is no salvation possible.

The JW separation of Christians into two classes one superior to the other is a crude, way out cultic deception based on the gross misinterpretation of a couple of verses, the other sheep who are in fact the gentile Christians as opposed to the Jewish ones and the Great Crowd who are in fact another way of presenting the members of the one and only Christian church and not some supposedly inferior christians.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The annointed that I knew when I was a witnoid back in the 70's would be described by functional worldlings as borderline retarded.

But I could touch them and they would squeak if you stuck them with a pin.

So as far as I could tell they were real.

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

In the light of OLD truth, most of the annointed were born before 1914. This concept now seems unrealistic. I am led to believe in a rapture as mentioned in the bible. Not really sure as to the specifics, but I am also leaning toward all people going to heaven at death. The GREAT CROWD is BEFORE the throne as John said in Revelation 7:9. I think we may have a skewed concept of this because of our wtbts background.

I am sure NEW light will clarify things before 2014 rolls around.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

nah im calling bulls*** on them as the jws refer to them. they try to say that only some of the scriptures apply to me and some apply to those special better than me people............ BULLS***

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I think the only ones who know who go to heaven are the ones that are there.

momz

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Of course they're real ... real dillusional! lol

• changeling
    changeling

Is the tooth fairie?

changeling

• onacruse
    onacruse

This has been a question that has haunted the WTS for decades. For example (bolds added):

*** w82 2/1 pp. 28-29 "Born Again"—Man’s Part and God’s Part ***

How Can a Person Be Certain?

Those sharing in preaching this good news of the Kingdom in modern times are confident that Jehovah God is leading his dedicated servants by means of his visible spirit-begotten organization, the "faithful and discreet slave." (Matthew 24:45-47) Under its direction the heavenly hope was held out, highlighted and stressed until about the year 1935. Then as ‘light flashed up’ to reveal clearly the identity of the "great crowd" of Revelation 7:9, the emphasis began to be placed on the earthly hope. (Psalm 97:11) It is reasonable to conclude, therefore, that by that time the full number of 144,000 would have been nearly completed. Of course, any individuals proving unfaithful would need to be replaced. But, understandably, these would be comparatively few. And by whom would these be replaced? It seems reasonable also to conclude that most likely this heavenly hope would be extended to some who had endured in integrity, who had stuck to their dedication over the years, rather than its being held out to unproved newly dedicated ones. (Compare Luke 22:28-30.) However, from reports at hand it appears that even some newly dedicated Christians have considered themselves to be "born again."

Any who in comparatively recent times dedicated themselves and were baptized and who consider themselves to be "born again" would do well to reflect seriously on the following questions: What reasons have you for feeling that Jehovah God has planted this hope in you? Could it be that your emotional feeling is a holdover from the mistaken belief you previously held while in Babylon the Great that heaven is the destiny of all good people? Or could it be that you feel this way because you had great inward disturbances, that you at first fought against the idea but it gradually won out? But did it win out because you wanted it that way, perhaps even unconsciously? Such struggles do not of themselves prove that you were "born again."

Or do you feel that you have been chosen by God to be one of the 144,000 anointed ones because of your keen appreciation of spiritual things, because of your fondness for deep spiritual truths? Then note that ever so many who do not profess to be "born again" are ‘spiritual men’ in the fullest sense of the word. (1 Corinthians 2:14, 15) And there is no question about the spiritual strength of those men and women of faith listed in Hebrews chapter 11. None of those were "born again." All of them looked forward to "a better resurrection [to life under God’s kingdom]" right here on this earth.—Hebrews 11:35.

Or might it be that you feel the way you do because of your displaying more zeal than some of your fellow Christians? But that of itself could not be the determining factor, for the apostle Paul time and again found it necessary to counsel anointed Christians in regard to taking their spiritual obligations seriously. (1 Corinthians 11:20-22; Galatians 4:9-11) Or could it be that your profession to be of the anointed is due to a lack of modesty? There are some who quite recently have professed to be of the anointed but who, instead of building unity in the congregation, have felt they must have their own Bible study group. To the contrary, mature "born again" Christians remain close to the local congregation even though it is largely comprised of the "other sheep." (John 10:16) However, a person’s being "born again" is a personal matter between God and each Christian. No one should judge another on this question.—Romans 14:10.

And:

*** w76 2/1 p. 76 "Keep Doing This in Remembrance of Me" ***

Occasionally there are some former partakers who have come to realize that their relationship to God is not that of an anointed son. They should properly cease partaking, but this would not be an indication that they have become unfaithful. It is just that their personal relationship with Jehovah has become clarified as being one with a earthly hope.

And:

*** w96 8/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

There is no need for any of us to be concerned if a person begins to partake of the emblems or ceases to do so. It really is not up to us whether someone actually has been anointed with holy spirit and called to heavenly life or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit