God and Evolution

by BurnTheShips 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

you have a pm.

• Caedes
    Caedes

However, the basic acceptance of whether a God exists or not is one of, if not the basic building block of an individuals philosophy.

BA

BA,

It may be the building block of your philosophy in which case is your lack of belief in Zeus (or the easter bunny) a basic building block of your philosophy too?

Whilst it may be that my philosophy may well be different where I not an atheist, it would be more accurate to say that a scientific understanding that the universe is entirely natural is a basic building block of my philosophy.

It is a ridiculous notion to suggest lack of belief in anything can be classed as a philosophy, to me god is as risible an idea as santa claus and to suggest that I spend any time basing decisions around what I don't believe in, is silly. My philosophy is based around what I do believe in I.e the golden rule.

To think that anybody makes any life decisions based around bronze age myths and legends is somewhat akin to doing the same based on your daily newspaper's horoscope in my view.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    You live in a cramped world HS. I am quite free to believe that there is a considerable amount of settled order and inevitable development in the universe that can be explicated by means of the scientific method. But you are not allowed to admit into your mechanism the slightest speck of spiritualism or mote of miracle lest the cogs seize up.

I noticed JCanon raised a similar point in another thread, I hope you manage to do better than he did.

I find it overwhelmingly arrogant and condescending on the part of (some) theists that believe this. You honestly seem to believe that life is somehow lacking in wonder or joy without a belief in the supernatural. As Douglas Adams said is it not enough to find a garden beautiful without having to look for fairies at the bottom of it? When I look up at the night sky and I think about how far the light has travelled just to get to my eyes don't you think I find that wondrous and mysterious.

When I look at the results of an experiment and I find that things have worked as I predicted don't you think I feel amazed that all those calculations match up with what happens in reality, not just once but every time.

The lack of basic human empathy required to think that an atheist is in any way lacking a sense of the majestic and mysterious is quite contemptable and extremely disturbing. Perhaps you might like to think about what it is that you are saying about a sizeable minority of the population.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit