God and Evolution

by BurnTheShips 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Burn,

Where?

Atheists have done bad things, but atheism is not a belief system so it can't have been because they were atheist. People do things based on what they do believe, not what they don't.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Where the writer sees arrogance I see none.

Well then we disagree.

Surely you can do better than that.

The ball is in "God's" court. So far he hasn't hit it back. This makes for a boring game. Atheists win by default.
    Why don't you take your ball and go home proplog. We'll try to make do........... Burn

Sounds like you're losing, Burn, and what's worse, taking a very meaningful comment, deserving of response, as some sort of personal insult.

I'm sure it wasn't intended that way, but you've felt a need to dismiss the poster. Touched a nerve, perhaps?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

BurnTheShips,

Is this a timeloop? I've pointed out 'bad things are not done in the name of atheism'

I think I've demonstrated that to be false on this forum.

I think I missed this. Would you please present your evidence that "bad things" are done in the name of atheism for my perusal.

Many thanks - HS

• Caedes
    Caedes

Just posting this so I can find this thread later for a proper reply.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

1) A defect; a fault; an error; a blemish; an imperfection; as, the vices of a political constitution; the vices of a horse.

2) A mild failing or flaw in a persons character or personality.

3) A flaw, defect, or bad habit.

As to your next statement:

I pretty much integrated those meanings in the comment you respond to.

An absurd statement, undone by your own use of the word "often" and the use of personal moral judgments as opposed to providing evidence for your statement.

I use "often" so as not to say ALL. Because I think it is not always true of all. does that compute? Try to learn a little nuance, Hillary Step. It'll help you scale that face and see beyond the summit.

Dawkins statement would suggesting that "faith" is a vice in the sense, not of moral corruption, but in the sense of a flawed viewpoint that a person hangs then hangs all their flawed philosophies upon.

I disagree with that. It is not flawed at all.

If science found proof of the supernatural, then this position would change.

Science is only equipped to explain the natural. This can never change. You have a very dim understanding of the epistemological limits of scientific knowlege HS.

As you have previously admitted on another thread that faith is "the belief in something that cannot be proved", how can Dawkins be wrong in describing it as a "vice"?

How can he be right?

Unbelief, or "unfaith" as you call it, is not a religion, a way of thought, or even a philosophy.

It most certainly is "a way of thought" or a philosophy, or an ideolology, and it comes in many flavors and variants, much like belief or faith does.

My feeling is that you do not understand what atheism really is. I also see that your understanding of evolution as a process is also quite innacurate.

Huh? LOL.

You live in a cramped world HS. I am quite free to believe that there is a considerable amount of settled order and inevitable development in the universe that can be explicated by means of the scientific method. But you are not allowed to admit into your mechanism the slightest speck of spiritualism or mote of miracle lest the cogs seize up.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Surely you can do better than that.

Do I have to? Its hrair to one in here.

Sounds like you're losing, Burn , and what's worse, taking a very meaningful comment, deserving of response, as some sort of personal insult.

I'm sure it wasn't intended that way, but you've felt a need to dismiss the poster. Touched a nerve, perhaps?

No I didn't. I merely turned the comment on itself.

Do I seem nervy to you?

Burn

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Burn,

What beliefs, ideology and philosophy stem from atheism?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I think I missed this. Would you please present your evidence that "bad things" are done in the name of atheism for my perusal.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/146941/2671983/post.ashx#2671983

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    What beliefs, ideology and philosophy stem from atheism?

Perhaps more correct:

What beliefs, ideology and philosophy does atheism stem from?

Burn

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

BTS,

Didn't you read my replies to you in that other thread? I addressed all that, so why repeat something that's been dealt with? Respond to the answers that were given.

Perhaps more correct:

What beliefs, ideology and philosophy does atheism stem from?

You tell me, you're the one saying it's a belief system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit