God and Evolution

by BurnTheShips 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

BurnTheShips,

The proofs for the existence of God, he believes, are all invalid, since among other defects they leave unanswered the question “Who made God?” “Faith,” he writes, “is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. . . . Faith, being belief that isn’t based on evidence, is the principal vice in any religion.” Carried away by his own ideology, he speaks of “the fatuousness of the religiously indoctrinated mind.” He makes the boast that, in the quest to explain the nature of human life and of the universe in which we find ourselves, religion “is now completely superseded by science.”

That arrogance

Where the writer sees arrogance I see none.

Please, in your own words, explain why what is said above by this author is "arrogant". It seems perfectly factual to me. Perhaps to a religious mind a statement of the obvious is interpreted as "arrogance", but that should certainly not set our moral compass. I also believe that "faith is the principal vice of any religion". I would love to see how you would try to prove that it was not.

An explanation would be welcome.

HS

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Science can purify religion from error and superstition, while religion purifies science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each discipline should therefore retain its integrity and yet be open to the insights and discoveries of the other.

This sentence made me laugh out loud! What idolatry and false absolutes has religion every purified science from? The only "absolutes" in science are "laws" not theories. What scientific "laws" have ever been debunked by religion. I challenge anyone to name one. Idolatry? What idols does science set up? The only idols I know of are to be found in churches, OK, maybe a few in Hollywood, but they have nothing to do with science. What insights and discoveries of religion should science be open to? I know discoveries have been made by educated, religous men. I submit that those discoveries were made, not because of anything to do with their religous faith but due to their innate intelligence making use of scientific methods in spite of their faith.

Cog

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Where the writer sees arrogance I see none.

Well then we disagree.

I also believe that "faith is the principal vice of any religion". I would love to see how you would try to prove that it was not.

Faith is not a vice. It is not morally depraved, corrupt, morally failed, faulted nor immoral. It is not a blemish. It is not a defect, habitual or otherwise. It is in no way abnormal, and does not make a believer unfit in any way.

I would like to see you prove that faith is any of the above.

Unfaith often is morally depraved, corrupt, morally failed, faulted and immoral. It is a blemish. It is a defect. It is abnormal as evidenced by the enervated minority that believe it. It makes them unfit, as evidenced by the weakened tribe of humans it creates. The founding fathers of modern unbelief, such as Marx and Nietzsche, are wonderful examples of this. They are long dead, but their poisoned seed still bears fruit.

I would love to see you prove otherwise.

Burn

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

when debating with religionists, the biggest problem is semantics. take "faith". "having faith" as "trusting" can't be immoral per se, neither can not having faith/not trust. both can be faulted though.

if i bet my money on a horse, i do that because i have faith that it will win the race. i hope so, i put my trust into that horse. if it does not win, i'll lose my money and i put my faith/trust at the wrong place.

shifting the burden of proof around can be funny, but does not lead a discussion anywhere. neither do arguments ad populum et al.

i wonder if you ever read marx or nietsche to call their "seed" "poisoned". one could say the same thing about luther, calvin, jesus, muhammad or whoever you wish.

one thing christian and muslim religionists have in common with marxists and the like: they made books more important than humans - even though the writers most probably didn't even have the intention of setting any standard.

while atheists are no homogeneous group, they usually adhere more to logic when reasoning, while religionists of any coleur usually take refuge in a logic-free zone.

• justhuman
    justhuman

There is nothing wrong in Evolution, or does come in any conflict with the religious aspect of a God that created the universe through an evolution process.

For the Orthodox Church there is nothing wrong about it, because simply the Church deals with the spiritual aspects of humans. It does not deal, or want to deal with the scientific aspect of how God created the universe. The scientific explanation it is left for science to explain how we get here.

Very simple

• proplog2
    proplog2

The ball is in "God's" court. So far he hasn't hit it back. This makes for a boring game. Atheists win by default.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The ball is in "God's" court. So far he hasn't hit it back. This makes for a boring game. Atheists win by default.

Why don't you take your ball and go home proplog. We'll try to make do........... Burn

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Is this a timeloop? I've pointed out 'bad things are not done in the name of atheism' and 'evolution says nothing about how the universe began' a billion times now (or so it feels). Whatever faith is, it seems to give people the minds of goldfish.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Is this a timeloop? I've pointed out 'bad things are not done in the name of atheism'

I think I've demonstrated that to be false on this forum.

Cheers.

Burn

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

BurnTheShips,

I also believe that "faith is the principal vice of any religion". I would love to see how you would try to prove that it was not.

Faith is not a vice. It is not morally depraved, corrupt, morally failed, faulted nor immoral. It is not a blemish. It is not a defect, habitual or otherwise. It is in no way abnormal, and does not make a believer unfit in any way.

I would like to see you prove that faith is any of the above.

Now, I wonder why you took a literalist approach and focused on one dimension of the word "vice" ignoring its numerous other meanings.

For example, apart from its moral concepts the meaning is variously shown as:

1) A defect; a fault; an error; a blemish; an imperfection; as, the vices of a political constitution; the vices of a horse.

2) A mild failing or flaw in a persons character or personality.

3) A flaw, defect, or bad habit.

As to your next statement:

Unfaith often is morally depraved, corrupt, morally failed, faulted and immoral. It is a blemish. It is a defect. It is abnormal as evidenced by the enervated minority that believe it. It makes them unfit, as evidenced by the weakened tribe of humans it creates. The founding fathers of modern unbelief, such as Marx and Nietzsche, are wonderful examples of this. They are long dead, but their poisoned seed still bears fruit.

I would love to see you prove otherwise.

An absurd statement, undone by your own use of the word "often" and the use of personal moral judgments as opposed to providing evidence for your statement. If you have read Dawkin's book, you will note that his use of the word "vice" accompanied reams of information and evidence to back up his concept.

Apart from the ease which one can view religion historically and conclude that faith is as immoral in its actions, a more accurate reading of Dawkins statement would suggesting that "faith" is a vice in the sense, not of moral corruption, but in the sense of a flawed viewpoint that a person hangs then hangs all their flawed philosophies upon.

As you have previously admitted on another thread that faith is "the belief in something that cannot be proved", how can Dawkins be wrong in describing it as a "vice"? Self deceit is a flaw, and one might even argue in another setting it is a moral flaw, though I stress that unlike yourself, Dawkins use of the word "flaw" should not be taken as literally as you have..

Unbelief, or "unfaith" as you call it, is not a religion, a way of thought, or even a philosophy. It is a position reached on evidence thus far gained. If science found proof of the supernatural, then this position would change. My feeling is that you do not understand what atheism really is. I also see that your understanding of evolution as a process is also quite innacurate.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit