God and Evolution

by BurnTheShips 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    You tell me, you're the one saying it's a belief system.

This is getting old. But I will post for the benefit of onlookers.

A belief system can refer to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief_system

Now you're probably going to tell me that atheism is not a philosophy or world view.

Burn

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

I'm sorry but I couldn't help the notice the quote from the current Pope about all of us being planned, willed and loved...Ummmmm wasn't he in the Hitler Youth????

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

[His father served in both the Bavarian State Police (Landespolizei) and the German national Regular Police (Ordnungspolizei) before retiring in 1937 to the town of Traunstein. The Sunday Times described the older Ratzinger as "an anti-Nazi whose attempts to rein in Hitler’s Brown Shirts forced the family to move several times.".......Following his 14th birthday in 1941, he joined the Hitler Youth, membership in which was legally required from March 25, 1939. [7] According to National Catholic Reporter correspondent and biographer John Allen, Ratzinger was an unenthusiastic member who refused to attend meetings. Ratzinger has mentioned that a Nazi mathematics professor arranged reduced tuition payments for him at seminary. This theoretically required documentation of attendance at Hitler Youth activities (deliberately planned at Sunday mornings at that stage, to prevent church attendance) - however, according to Ratzinger, his professor arranged that the young seminary student did not need to attend those gatherings to receive a scholarship.........In late April or early May, days or weeks before the German surrender, Ratzinger deserted. Desertion was widespread during the last weeks of the war, even though punishable by death (executions, frequently extrajudicial, continued to the end)]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_life_of_Pope_Benedict_XVI

It isn't like you seem to be making it sound. It really doesn't discredit him IMHO.

Burn

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

You're right Burn. It's not a philosophy or worldview.

It's like when you assumed I was completely supportive of abortion. You were wrong. Being an atheist says nothing about my views on abortion. It says nothing about anything I believe. One atheist's worldview can be the complete opposite of another atheist's.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    You're right Burn. It's not a philosophy or worldview.

Dude, your brain is stuck.

Go wiki "Atheism".

First. Damned. Sentence.

Atheism, as a philosophical view, is the position that either affirms the nonexistence of gods [1] or rejects theism. [2]

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

http://atheism.about.com/od/definitionofatheism/p/AtheismReligion.htm

"As with ideology, atheism can be part of a philosophy." It is not a philosophy.

Even with the wiki article, read the rest.

"Although many self-described atheists tend toward secular philosophies such as humanism [5] and naturalism, [6] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere"

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Atheism is based upon a materialist philosophy, which holds that nothing exists but natural phenomena. There are no supernatural forces or entities, nor can there be any. Nature simply exists.

http://daphne.palomar.edu/mlane/ATHEIST/atheist_philosophy.htm

I really don't feel like a linkwar. So I'll leave it there.

Burn

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

atheism neither is a philosophy nor is it a belief system. it's a NON-belief. it simply means not being a theist. nothing more, nothing less. it's that simple...

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Oh Dear, not this again.

Atheism is not a belief. It is the lack of belief. There is a difference between believing that there is no god and not believing that there is a god. Both viewpoints are atheistic, though it is impossible to get a religionist to understand the latter.

HS

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    it simply means not being a theist.

Exactly.

Naturally, it can become a philosophy, especially in a world still so permeated by superstition and dogma.

But in its essence, it is simply the rejection of the belief in the existence of a god and/or gods, due to lack of positive inarguable evidence.

Nada mas, nada menos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit