Your Cong = Which Songs or Band were "Demonic?" Did you toss albums?

by Witness 007 81 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Easy to see why JWs with their "trained christian conscience" would want to stay away from "If You Want Blood (You Got It). (It's still a great song today.)

It's criminal
    There ought to be a law
    Criminal
    There ought to be a whole lot more
    You get nothing for nothing
    Tell me who can you trust
    We got what you want
    And you got the lust

CHORUS:
    If you want blood, you got it
    Blood on the streets
    Blood on the rocks
    Blood in the gutter
    Every last drop
    You want blood, you got it

It's animal
    Livin' in a human zoo
    Animal
    The shit that they toss to you
    Feeling like a Christian
    Locked in a cage
    Thrown to the lions
    On the second page

CHORUS

Blood on the rocks
    Blood on the streets
    Blood in the sky
    Blood on the sheets
    If you want blood - you got it

(I want you to bleed for me)

• pseattle
    pseattle

Oh, goodness, I should bullet-point these...

(1) A speaker from the lectern once claimed that Neil Sedaka's hit song "Bad Blood" was about gonorrhea. Neil Sedaka.

(2) My first big music hero as a kid was John Denver. My mother heard the oft-repeated urban legend that in concert once, John Denver asked anyone who was a Jehovah's Witness to leave the theater. The more likely possibility is that Denver was about to play a medley of patriotic songs, and suggested that "Those of you who are JWs might not like this next set... you might want to go to the bathroom or get some refreshments right now."

(3) My mother got mad at my hanging up a poster of the Commodores in my bedroom, calling them "adulters, drug users and alcoholics." She made roughly the same disparaging remarks about ELO, except they were also "demonized."

(4) My mother once ripped up the album cover for Bruce Springsteen's album "The River." She claimed Bruce "looked demonized" --

alt

Yeah, get out the split pea soup, I'm feelin' all Linda Blair over here.

(5) Same thing with Steely Dan, in the inner sleeve for their first greatest hits anthology, called "Gold." Steely Dan just look bored, surly, only possibly stoned. A great argument commenced about this, in which my father (not a JW) finally decided he'd listen to the entire album to verify if there was anything offensive on it. He found one: In "Show BIz Kids" they use the word "fuck." The album wasn't thrown away, but they called a ban on future music purchases, which I believe lasted a month.

Amusing side note: In 2006 I interviewed Donald Fagen of Steely Dan for my music writing job. I was so tempted to tell him about this, and ask him if he'd ever been demonically possessed, but I chickened out.

I so hope I get the chance to interview Bruce someday -- "Say, Bruce, don't take this personally, but my mom thought you were demonically possessed in the 80's. Were you?"

(6) My mom thought punk rock was evil because she saw Gilda Radner doing a parody of punk rock on Saturday Night Live.

(7) In 1977 my mom read an article in Time magazine about Billy Joel, in which they quoted lyrics from his then-current song "Only the Good Die Young," which is roughly about an attempt to deflower a Catholic girl. I believe they quoted the line "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints/The sinners are much more fun." My mother asked me if I had any Billy Joel albums; I didn't at the time. She said, "Good. Don't buy any." Since I was a kid piano player, I wound up buying quite a few. I believe she'd forgotten all about the Time magazine article. (My tastes have changed, though, and now it's not like keeping your kid away from Billy Joel is a bad thing...)

(8) Yeah, all the KISS stuff, the AC/DC stuff too. JW's are curiously quite eager to cite urban legend as documented fact, even if they originated from bible-thumpers in completely different religions, as those two rumors did.

(9) When I was in high school I appeared in our drama department's production of "The Sound of Music." It ticked mom off that I had to miss some meetings to make rehearsals. Her exact words: "It's a stupid show! It's got all those Catholics in it!"

(10) The last thing that bugged her was when I got Tom Waits' "Heartattack And Vine" album, in which there's a line where Tom signs "I spent fifteen dollars on a prostitute, with too much makeup and a broken shoe." She overheard my playing this. She smirked about it. I think by that time I'd left the religion, and there was nothing she could really do about it.

Yep, music is my life.

--P

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    1) A speaker from the lectern once claimed that Neil Sedaka's hit song "Bad Blood" was about gonorrhea. Neil Sedaka.

Hahaha, pseattle, we need to set that speaker strait. This one's about gonorrhea.

AC/DC "The Jack"

She gave me her mind and she gave me her body
    But it seems to me
    That she gave it to anybody
    But I made her cry, and I made her scream
    And I curdled her cream
    But how was I to know that she had been there before
    She told me she was a virgin
    She was number nine ninety-nine on the clinical list
    And I fell in love with the dirty little bitch

She's got the jack, she's got the jack
    She's got the jack, jack, jack, jack, jack, jack, jack
    She's got the jack, gonorrhea

• pseattle
    pseattle

Ha!

Man, do I love Bon Scott.

• JK666
    JK666

Let's make it a medley about VD! Here's an old song of Frank Zappa about da sitchiachum:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uFabg3VLi4E

Why does it hurt when I pee?
    I don't want no doctor
    To stick no needle in me
    I got it from the toilet seat
    I got it from the toilet seat
    It jumped right up
    'N' grabbed my meat
    Got it from the toilet seat
    My balls feel like a pair of maracas
    Oh God I probably got the Gon-o-ka-ka-khackus!
    Ai-ee-ai-ee-ahhhh!
    Why does it
    Why does it
    Why does it
    Why does it hurt...
    when...
    I Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

• LaniB
    LaniB

Kate Bush, I had to get rid of one of her albums as it contained "Wuthering Heights" which was about ghosts..... I really loved that album.

John Farnham - because a ministerial servant and his wife went to one of his concerts and said afterwards that he told really disgusting jokes and they had to get up and leave so we all had to get rid of our Farnham albums but it didn't bother me that much as I wasn't a big fan.

John Denver (urban legend). I was told his ex wife was a JW and that is why he hates witnesses.

Anything that could be considered "heavy metal"

• LaniB
    LaniB

I forgot the Eagles.

Hotel California was apparently about satanism

Doobie Brothers

Taking it easy was about immoral group sex according to one ministerial servant

"I'm a running down the road, trying to loosen my load

I've got seven women on my mind"

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    anyone remember the article or box

Yup - 'Music That Debases' - a talk at a district assembly sometime in the late 80's. Following that all my friends purged their albums.

One friend was made to throw out all his Queen albums, and his younger brother snook out and stole them right in from the bin.

ELO was demonic because they had backtracking on a song - sure sign of messages from the devil. (it was the Secret Messages album - not so secret as it was in the title.)

Earth Wind and Fire was demonic because they conjured up spirits as part of their set and they asked any Jehovahs Witnesses in the audience to leave or it wouldnt work! (gotta be an urban piece of crapola)

MeatLoafs 'Bat out of Hell'. One friend bravely drew a T shirt on the bare torso of a girl on the front cover with a marker pen. The rest of us threw the album out. Sigh.

Led Zeppelin - they were self confessed the most demonised band out and Satan took one of their sons.

The only thing I can guarantee is that all the BEST music was thrown out, but then it must be true what they say - the devil has all the best tunes.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

oooohhh, just remembered some more!

I had to get rid of Duran Durans Rio album because it had a song on called 'New Religion'.

Guns N Roses because guns meant penises and roses meant vaginas ??!!

Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood was banned on Radio 1, and it sparked a witch hunt in our congregation. A pair of elders was despatched to every teenager in the congregation for a meeting in their home, where we were asked 3 questions:

* what does Relax mean?
    * are we engaged in any wrongdoing that we need to confess?
    * do we know of any wrongdoing that the other teenagers are up to?

Very funny in hindsight, but very frightening and intimidating at the time for a 15 year old to be having this serious meeting when no wrongdoing had even been alleged - it was a pure fishing trip. Fortunately I was squeaky clean so was able to get on my high horse and say I thought it was a witch hunt and unwaranted. And they should look up the word 'Relax' in the dictionary.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood was banned on Radio 1, and it sparked a witch hunt in our congregation. A pair of elders was despatched to every teenager in the congregation for a meeting in their home, where we were asked 3 questions:

* what does Relax mean?
    * are we engaged in any wrongdoing that we need to confess?
    * do we know of any wrongdoing that the other teenagers are up to?

KK i can remember much the same in our cong!

I can also remember when Mike Read banned the song..i always reckoned he was in cahoots with frankie..notoriety and all that selling copies....

After the radio 1 ban,me and a mate..(we were schoolkids..hes now an elder lol)tape recorded it from lazer 558 pirate radio station.Jeez that takes me back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit