Was mold a problem in your hall?

by DT 28 Replies latest jw friends

• chickpea
    chickpea
    faulty design, workmanship,lack of windows or that tacky vinyl wall paper they use! Anyone ever hear of sick building syndrome

omg!! did you read the RBCs evaluation of the hall i attended ?!?! evidently the design, provided by the WTS, led to a saturated ventilation system....... nearly $ 85K in remediation, taken out in a "low interest loan" from the original purveyors of the design!!! what a racket!!! fortunately at that point in time we were fading and never "pledged" to cover the repayment schedule.....

• noni1974
    noni1974

Yes the hall that used to be down the street from me closed a few years ago and was sold off because of mold.Now the JW's are SOL because there is no land to build on in my city.I never went to that one but it was tiny they had the schools in the basement.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

DT, do you live in Florida? Do they have mold in other states?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

It was surrounding every brain cell of every JW I ever spoke to. What a crock of $%i#. I must have been suffering long term sinus problems never to have smelt it. And the spores covered my neurons for years afterwards.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never noticed a major problem with mold in our Kingdumb Hell. However, I have noticed that the climate control system is the crappiest I have ever seen (what Kingdumb Hell ever has a climate control system that actually works). And no ventilation to speak of.

But, then again I never had a problem with mold sensitivity. So it could have just been me that didn't notice a problem. But, that doesn't mean that the Kingdumb Hell couldn't one day develop a mold problem or that a mold problem that I am not acutely bothered with hasn't had a share in sapping my health and I didn't notice it. (One thing that is sure: I was bothered by having to put in time in field circus.)

• DT
    DT
    DT, do you live in Florida? Do they have mold in other states?

I live in Minnesota and have noticed the problem in many halls here and in nearby states. In addition to climate, I think some of the moisture comes from a lot of people breathing in a poorly ventilated building. (There's a lot of hot air at the meetings) It has also been suggested that once one hall gets toxic mold it's likely to spread to the other halls in the area on the clothes of visitors where it will likely have a suitable environment for growth.

• seawolf
    seawolf

yes. had an odor problem, too, that might have been helped if people ever bothered to flush the toilets.

• flipper
    flipper

Yeah, one congregation I was in had mold all over the microphones on stage. Every time the brothers or sisters spoke into them, the brother doing the sound system had to crank the volume up , as the information was getting old and redundant. They tried ordering new microphones, but the elders got all emotional and said, " What Jehovah provides is sufficient . " Brother " hard of hearing " had to crank up his hearing aid volume to high , but when they saw the mold had transferred to his hearing aid , the elders just shrugged their shoulders and gave up

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

As NewYork44M said, no windows, and insufficient fresh air is often a problem. The three older halls I attended had no mold problems, because they all had windows for sunlight and occasionally fresh air. One of the new Quick Build Halls I attended was suspected of mold, and many publishers had problems. They inspected and tested the building. It wasn't mold as much as it was a lack of clean fresh air. It was found that the artificial flowers were one of the things creating fumes inside, and the HVAC system was pulling 'fresh' air from a dank, shady, wet side of the Hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit