How many of you were the wife of an elder? Please post your story here!

by averyniceguy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

Thank you! It might help lurkers to post here!

• Dansk
    Dansk

Great idea!

Ian

• Honesty
    Honesty

BTTT

• blondie
    blondie

I was the wife of an elder, sister of an elder, cousin of an elder, and granddaughter of an elder. I found how cruel the elders are to each other and how catty the other elders' wives are. I was so glad when my husband stepped aside (down) from the position. I learned that elders can't believe in God and do the things they do in his sight.

Blondie

• changeling
    changeling

Wife and daughter here.

changeling

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

keep it coming

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

OMG blondie , does all your family outside in the sun playing the banjo?

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

to R. Crusoe,

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

That elder guy sure does get around in her family!

• tinker
    tinker

My husband was an elder, 10yrs before he stepped down. The reasons were cumulative but it all hit the fan when he was a visiting speaker at a neighboring congergation. Our son, 13 had cut his own hair, shaved the sides, normal on top. He showed he was sorry and the situation was resolved and we attended with dad to his speaking assignment. At our next meeting the other elders informed him that he would not be giving public talks until further notice. Why? A brother had complained about our son's haircut, too worldly - fadish, and that he did not have his own family in control so he could not teach others.

Another issue was that my husband had to remind the others to open each Elder Meeting with a prayer. They would always just start talking about the business at hand and forget to 'ask for Jehovah's guidance' He began to call the meetings the 'Boys Club' with the secret handshake instead of a God directed arrangement.

During the teenage drama years, he saw many elders cover and sweep under the rug the disapproved behavior of their own children while others had the screws put to them.

He was on a judical committee for a couple with marriage problems. He knew the husband to be verbally abusive and controlling. The wife left and was eventually DF and the husband got off scott free. He has not yet gotten over the saddenss he feels for that women.

He felt the power struggle and peer pressure to climb the ladder, kiss the CO butt and be an outright hypocrite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit