The longest prayer ever ...

by Vivamus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

The memory of this just popped back into my mind.

I was at a 3 day congress, and the ending prayer was said by this really old brother. He was one of the survivors of WO II concentration camps were he was put for being a JW.

Anyway, the poor man started his prayer with thanking Jah, and then he recalled EVERY piece and play of the three day congress. I bet the man had written his prayer on paper and rehersed it each day adding a new 15 minutes to it ... He even mentioned a part where a witness lady replayed an incident on the street - she gave witness to by-standers - and one of the people she talked to had a stuffed dog. I remember this cuz the brother said "and thank you Yah for giving us the enjoyment of the piece with the little dog".

Halfway through the prayer I opened my eyes and peeked around me to see if every one was having trouble concentrating ... and sure enough, lots of people were shifting and opening / closing eyes etc.

How about you, ever had such a thing happening ?

• Renegade
    Renegade

When I was about 6 or 7, I remember a brother doing a reaaaally long prayer. Not as long as that but I was only a fidgety little kid. I wonder how they remember them.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Sadly, I recall GIVING a stupidly long prayer like that. It was one of those emotional meetings and I got all caught up in it. I remember having several people praise me after the meeting for it. Which is probably exactly the opposite of what they were really thinking.

Funny how often we encourage the wrong behavior in people!

I've seen people standing for a prayer that sat down when it got too lengthy.

Dave

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

How about you, ever had such a thing happening ?

Everytime a ca or dc was closed in prayer. I mean come on, it's time to go eat!

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I remember when I was a kid, we were at bookstudy and the guy saying the ending prayer farted in the middle of the prayer, he tried to cough like we wouldn't notice, anyway I was trying to keep from laughing as well as other people, even being pinched in the arm by my mom didn't help, anyway he kept on praying and everyone left in a hurry, not sure if it was the smell or wanted to get to their car as fast as they could so they could laugh.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Lol Dave, I am sure the brothers and sisters were actually in awe. Maybe not gratefull, but definatly in awe for you remembering such a lengthy speech

Renegade, yeah for a kid it's esp hard to stand still for such a time

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

LOL Andy, that's just too funny

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

My favorites were the ones where the brother was actually talking to us, not Jehovah. "Help us to turn in on our time, and help us to not chew gum in the hall, and help us to come saturday and mow the lawn...."

Sometimes they would even screw it up and leave off the "help us". C'mon guys, at least APPEAR to be putting on appearances!

Dave

• onacruse
    onacruse

The longest prayer I ever suffered was at a Pasadena assembly..I think it was in the 60s.

Knorr closed it out with a prayer that went on for like, well, forever (15 minutes, at least). As I looked left and right, everybody was shifting their feet, and the kids were getting cranky.

Boy, did we all hit the exits as soon as the Amen was said. LOL

• lawrence
    lawrence

I remember Greenlees praising all the boys in the audience, as well as the flowers at the race track, and the days of his life - this went on for 15 minutes. Also, Grant Sutter praying (talking at) the audience ad infinitum - almost as long as a Jerry Springer show.

Then there were the prayers I gave after delivering public talks - what a bombastic hypocrit being groomed for Bethel's usage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit