The longest prayer ever ...

by Vivamus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• skin
    skin

I remember a prayer that was getting lengthly and the bro said "In the name of Jesus Christ" (Everyone else said Amen) and the prayer conditued so we had to wait for him to say the real "In the name of Jesus Christ" about a minute or so later.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

yo riseing eagle.......... were you at the OKC district convention where that bastard from bethel.......... one of the annointed.......... said the final prayer sunday afternoon.......... and it went between 10 and 15 minutes long. my family of course were the type that never left until it was time...... so no heading out to the cars until the convention was truely over. so everyone was like screw this and they started picking up their sh** and heading out............. while i stood there WISHING I COULD Be DOING THE SAME

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

There was a PO from a hall in the north shore and he was FAMOUS for giving long prayers. Since it had gotten around the circuits, it became a game of - bet how long bro. ? prayers are go'na be. Whomever came up w/ the best number got a free meal that evening. There were 2 guys that I knew of that had stop watches as part of their watch, so they were responsible for timing the dude. That I remember the longest one went past 15 minutes ... it was a recap of the 2 day assemble. He essentially summarized the whole thing. No one won that one because it was so over the top. That I remember, 1/2 the audience was seated by the time he wrapped it up.

• ssrriotsquad
    ssrriotsquad

While most concluding prayers are majority the longest, but at one DC at Warwick Farm Racecourse late 80's - early 90's, the brother doing the OPENING PRAYER went for 17 minutes and 38 seconds and this was for a Friday morning. One of my mates timed it - he was notorious for his very long prayers. The saddest bit was the lunch session was cut 30 mins shorter because most of the morning talks went overtime. Then the afternoon went overtime again by 35 minutes due to some stupid experiences. I hated that day. I thought skipping would have been great. I should've went to school.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes - District Convention - Elderly brother - 10 minutes long

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

aligot ripounsous: not a problem at all - I totally understand what you're getting at

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

LMAO, this thread is hilarious!

I suffered a long prayer too by a brother who wasnt too eloquent, and you could tell he was trying to get to the finishing words but it was like his mouth couldnt say them. Every time he seemed like he was winding up he sort of took a breath and found something else to say. Sad thing was poor guy was really wanting to finish but didnt know how to, and was running out of new thoughts to add.

I just wanted to shout 'for gods sake the words are 'in Jesus Name Amen'.

I didnt know whether to sit down and take notes or not!

Halfway through the prayer I opened my eyes and peeked around me to see if every one was having trouble concentrating ... and sure enough, lots of people were shifting and opening / closing eyes etc.

We used to have elders at our congo that told people off for having their eyes open (I mean told people off individually!) It never occured to me for years to wonder how THEY knew which people had their eyes open.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit