The longest prayer ever ...

by Vivamus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

The last prayer of the convention several years ago (I think 2003) at the Silverdome in Pontiac, MI. That arena was one of the most miserable places for a convention. No air conditioning, terrible acoustics (it echoed so bad you could barely hear anything, which looking back may have been a blessing), 40,000 people, and a parking lot that took 2 hours to leave. Anyway, this prayer was at least 10 minutes long. It was so long, I actually got up and left my seat on the 3rd level during the middle of it and was halfway out the building by the time it was over.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Oh my, thanking for the flowers ??? Don't think I heard that one ever.

And B-Deserter, shame on you walking out on a prayer, lol.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Onacruise, I remember that prayer at the Rose Bowl. 100,000 people, most of them grabbed their stuff and stood up for the prayer, thinking they would dash out to their cars when the prayer was over. Only it went on and on and on and on...

The subsequent traffic jam was horrific and I'll never forget it. It took us four hours to get out of the parking lot!

• lawrence
    lawrence

I remember an old brother who would forget his pointers when he prayed and lose track of his thoughts. He once walked off the podium without concluding with the formula: in the name of our now reigning king Christ Jesus. When he realized the KH puppets still had their heads bowed he went back to the podium and started anew thanking the FDS. He wasn't called on again at a public meeting.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'd prefer to listen to Siouxsie & the Banshees' 20-minute rendition of the Lord's prayer. Has lots of great lines like:

O! O! Shake it, shake it, baby, Shake it, shake it, baby, now. Twist and shout! Ow! A knife, a fork, a bottle, and a cork That's the way you spell New York.

Yedelay shedelay. Ding-a-ling-a-ling. Ding-a-ling-a-ling-a-fucking-ding On the door, on heaven's door. Bawk bawk bawk Bawk bawk bawk BAWK! Bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk BAWK!! My little chickadee, carry on. Carry on. Our father which art in heaven. Hallowed be thy name.

• 5go
    5go

I find it funny that it is usually the last one. Wonder why?

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I always remember being nervous when I said the prayer. I can't even remember the formulaic closing now... "in Jesus name amen" maybe? That sounds right in my mind... (would you believe I had to sit here for at least 5 minutes running through "prayer" crap in my head to think of that! I'm not even 100% sure that's even RIGHT!

Anyway I think the reason that many went on so long was nerves. With me it was exactly the opposite I gave a 45 sec prayer max! That said I once stood through a prayer that was so long one of the older sisters passed out halfway through. At least I ASSUME it was halfway he seemed like he might just be warming up when she went down and once we got her sitting down and good to go no one offered to let him start over! This was in upstate NY and I think the brothers name was Wolf, Wulff? Wouliff? Something like that but I don't remember for sure he was a visiting speaker... He might just be sticking in my head because he had a SMOOOOOOKIN' hot daughter!

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

She passed out during the prayer ?! Oh thats terrible, and reminds me of the time of of the sisters got an attack during the meeting.

The shocking thing for me to see was that she was taken back, waiting for the ambulance .... and the meeting went on like nothing happened.

• golf2
    golf2

Back in 1957, the branch overseer (Percy Chapman) at a Toronto Ontario convention (who later by the way was replaced) gave a prayer that had to be over ten minutes. I still think of to this day, UNREAL and very disturbing. Many of the meetings I attended were ruined by brothers going overtime. These brothers loved to hear themselves talk, what crap! I hear ya. Golf

• 5go
    5go

I am waitng for the time when they are forced to write out the prayers said at big events. That would be a scandal I hope.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit