No Excuse to Shun Families - Almost Lost my Son Today

by Gretchen956 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I had such a shock today, its almost bizarre, my son was involved in an accident at work. He's an ironwoker, which means he works the high steel on skyscrapers and such. Today he was working and tied his safety harness off to the cable as usual, and went to work.

Lots of times they have to lean out and rely on that harness to keep them secure while they reach out to do whatever the hell it is they do (best mom's don't always know all), and today his dumbass bosses didn't have the cable attached on one end. So he leaned out to do his work, the end of the cable slipped out of whatever it feeds through (I don't know all the terms), and flipped him off the building.

He's falling, all his harness flapping useless above him, and he instinctively grabs a cable that is hanging off the edge of the building. Thankfully he had on leather gloves. He was able to catch onto the cable. Now he's dangling up there above the ground. He got himself swinging and was able to drop on to the floor below where he fell from.

So he fell only 27 feet, the total drop was over 50. Fortunately instead of being dead right now he only has torn muscles in his shoulder. I'm something like 250 miles away so my knees are a bit weak, but his girlfriend is taking good care of him, he's on pain meds, and he's already talked to his lawyer.

I may or may not have posted this, but I got a PM tonight from someone who's mom is shunning them. And well, it just hit me how senseless it is and wrong for a parent to let a religion or its dogma keep them away from their kids. And all the while smirking about how righteous they are for doing it (and yes I know they are not all like that).

SO all you son's out there, who's moms are shunning you, I am sending a cyber hug to you. My heart is full right now, and my eyes are full right now and I'm sending you all some love.

Sherry

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I am happy beyond compare that your post didn't have a horrible ending. I bet you are dying to hold him in your arms. As a daughter whose mom is shunning her, may I accept a hug? As my son jumps off the couch head first.

momz

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

OMG!!! (((HUGS)))

I am so happy your son is OK!! How very flucky he is!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

((((((Sherry))))))

How a parent can shun a child is beyond me.

I'm so glad your son is safe!

BB

• changeling
    changeling

(((((((((((((((gretchen))))))))))))

I'm so glad your son is OK.

What a scary experience!

changeling

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

((((Sherry)))) OMG. I'm such a realist and so "in control" of my emotions -- except with my kids. I can't allow myself to even think about scenarios in which they get hurt or it just cripples me. I can't even begin to imagine where you must be emotionally/mentally.

I'm glad it turned out as well as it did.

And your point is so good. Every person shunning a family member should have to read your post.

Dave

• Mary
    Mary

I'm really glad your son is OK Sherry.....geeze, that was a close one.

You're right about the shunning of family members too. It's just a sick, sick practice.

• Quandary
    Quandary

I am really sorry to hear about your son Gretchen, thank God he wasn't seriously hurt. I so agree with parents, moms and dads, NEVER letting anything stand in the way of them giving of their unconditional love to their children. Only a cult would demand or even encourage parents to shun their children, it so unnatural. The Witnesses apply 2 Tim 3:3 to the "world" (those who are alienated from God). However they seem to be fullfilling that verse all by themselves. They are the ones with their disgraceful shunning practices who have "no natural affection"!

I am hoping that although my mom is a die hard witness (reg. pioneer for the last 30 yrs) she will not be able to adhere to the suggested shunning when I make my exit.

Hoping your son is up and about soon!

Q

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I'm sooooo glad that he is o.k.!!! Whew!!!!!

Swalker

• Poztate
    Poztate

Hi Sherry,

Glad to hear that things worked out OK.

((((HUGS TO YOU)))

POZ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit