So, Did you do the TWIST anyway?

by nomoreguilt 19 Replies latest jw friends

• unique1
    unique1

Blood oranges?? Seriously??? They are only called that because the pulp is a reddish color not because they are injected with blood!!

Speaking of dancing has anybody recently read the WT stance of "freakdancing"? Like I wonder who actually broke that down for them

I remember when one of the older ones had been told about moshing and crowd surfing about a decade ago. She about had a heart attack.

• shell69
    shell69

You'll like this one.

When a girl, mid seventies, two daughters of a very respected local elder, set about a scheme where all us little ones would congregate at the front of the hall after the meeting, they would divide us into groups, give us a waste paper basket and send us on our way.... 'Wombling' We'd pick up any bits of paper/rubbish from the floor.

God how I loved going Wombling! It was the highlight of the tedious meetings!

Until the CO visited (Noble Bower's I seem to remember his name being) and put a stop to it because it was 'worldy'.

I wonder how many youngsters really didn't get it?, how many were dissallusioned even at that young age?

And yes I did twist at local pioneers weddings in the eighties, even though my mother had told me it was not good due to its sexual conotations.

Hey guys, I did a pretty mean twist for an eighties gal!!

Shell69

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Oh yeah, a blast down memory lane. Do you remember Albertson's was owned by the Mormon's and Safeway the Catholics? I had a worldly neigbor friend and she had a record player and so I learned all the latest. How bout "the pony' and "the mashed potato...the jerk' etc THE BEATLES!!!!!!! Couldn't play the game called "Twister" bodily contact. Two piece bathing suits!!!! No way. No dances at school, games, clubs, take part in anything. Folk songs. How about the John Denver phase until he asked JWs to leave his concert. I was really busy being horse crazy for a long time. Saved my babysitting money and bought a guitar and spent hours in my brothers old room learning to play, listening to Peter Paul and Mary. We had a guy in our cong who would be pretty wild and instigate people getting in trouble and then running to the elders to confess and everybody but him would get in trouble. He's still in but has been married 3 times.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I did any kind of dance that I could preform...yeah I can dance. Years ago when I was 19 my sister and I went to a jw youth gathering (party) held by an elder's son, it was heavily chaperoned. We got to play the music we wanted to dance to, all the while the parents were asking "What does that song say?" we kids would shrug our shoulders and say "Don't know" we knew. At one point during the evening when we were out on the dance floor my sister pokes me and says "Josie stop shaking your butt, Sister Gardner is watching you!" Good times, good times.

Josie

• Farkel
    Farkel

After it first came out, I practiced the Twist alone and In my closet! (So Mom wouldn't catch me!)

Farkel

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Oh my God, speaking of "What did that song say?1"

You know that song by the Killers, "when You Were young" the one were he goes, "something-something like Jesus but he talks like a gentleman and so on..." and that was my song (thats why I can't remember it anymore so when I play it again it'll be all brand new) and my mom was all, "What did he say was like JESUS?!" and I'm like what? I mean the guy is basically saying that the man may not be like Jesus but he's god enough but all she hard was one name and her mind flew.

Oh, and what about holiday music? My fam was a nazi in turning it off whenever it cae on in the home, whether it was on tv, the radio, antyhing they wwould sometimes jet to the source just to change it.

I remember gatherings where we would be good.. until the adults went upstairs and then we would lose our minds. We'd give each other the lok like who was gonna come out of their shell first, who was gonna hit the radio, who had the good cds, "No no don't turn it up to loud!" and wh would get in the middle of the dancefloor and yeah-

Freakdance! Or harlem shuffle! Or... hell, do anything iinteresting! then we'd act all shock that a certain song was on when an adult came down eying us like.. "I din't turn that on.... " and then go back into our corners.

Ah. those were the days.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

An elderly, childless elder had a fit!

He dug up ancient WT's stating the evils of the twist and how it was a pagan fertility dance originated in Africa.

A huge bru ha ha ensued.

Remember that Bigdreux????

do i ever!!!!! that was so funny to me.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I learned the Twist many many years after it emerged.

We learned it at Rock & Roll lessons. My JW wife had no idea that it had been frowned upon in my youth and I didn't bother to enlighten her.

We had been going to the gym at the time and we were pretty fit, but, done correctly the twist is a real workout and I would get the stitch very quickly.

Heel toe step, heel toe step. I get the stitch just thinking about it.

Cheers

Chris

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Bad bad Josie shaking yo butt like a wet dog! Shame on you girl!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Bad bad Josie shaking yo butt like a wet dog! Shame on you girl!

*Sigh* Got just that close to calling me a B****, huh?

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit