Life after the Cult.

by whyamihere 19 Replies latest jw friends

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Dear JWD,

As I ponder on how many we've lost, I can't ignore how much we've gained. Those that are left behind, I feel sorry for, they'll never experience anything "real."

I don't miss what I left behind and I am lucky that some have made it to the other side with me.

Let us be thankful for what we have today and tomorrow.

To cheer this place up a bit - please share with everyone what you're thankful for after surviving the cult:

Bri and I made it!(one of my best friends growing up)

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

While it appears I have lost my mother, I have my brother, sister, hubby and kids. In addition to an extended family that cares for me.

I have made true friendships right before and after leaving.

I am grateful my children are no longer under a cloud of fear, or that they stand out as odd at school.

I am also glad my 2 yr old tells everybody he sees "Merry Christmas".

I am grateful to this board for the love and support they have provided my self and others like me.

Merry Christmas everyone!Santa Clause

momz

• free2think
    free2think

Thats such a lovely post Brooke.

Im thankful for my mum, for her love and support without which i couldnt have made it this far.

Im thankful that have left the cult behind and have finally started living, really living.

Im thankful that i no longer have to feel guitly or not good enough.

I have learnt so much this past year and although i have had many ups and downs i wouldnt change a single thing. It has been a real learning curve and im grateful for my experiecnes because they have helped me grow.

• dawg
    dawg

Oh lord God Jehovah, please let me be 30 just one more time, and be allowed to hang with Whyamihere, Bri and her friends... amen!

THat said, i was hanging with my bluegrass buddies a few weeks ago, it was 6AM and we were still jamming, and I didn't have to stop and get ready to go out in service... That made me so damn happy.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

I am thankful my kids never have to stand outside the hall while the national anthem is played at school. I am thankful, they have birthdays, christmas, halloween, and have normal friendships with kids their age not based on religious beliefs but who they "like" as people.

I am thankful I am not limited to a dating pool of men who consider whether or not you are submissive enough to make a fine christian wife. GAG!!!

I am thankful that for the first time in my life, I have friends who love me for me. Not because we share a common religious belief or set of ideals. We respect each other's differing beliefs and ideologies and I can be 100% myself with them. Something I could never do, with my witness friends. Oh, and I am thankful I can test drive a man before I have to buy.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Good thread, Brookie!

I have gained -- a greater sense of reality, friends who don't judge me based on factors set by some religious organization, a truer sense of freedom and responsibility, much time in my week.

I have lost - a judgmental attitude, conditional friends, all sense of connection to JW's (other than an occasional admonition from my dad to go back).

Because of leaving the JW's, I was able to discover the friendship and intellectual stimulation that this board has provided.

There's more, but these are some of the important things for which I'm thankful now.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'm thankful for everything.

I almost wasn't here to enjoy it.

Nice topic, Brooke.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Thanks to me for having the common sense to avoid the invitation to that annual meeting in April. Could have been step 1 into the cult.

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

I'm thankful to have a place like this! Where we can get together with people who understand.

And of course BEER!Oh and shots, cocktails.....etc

• whyamihere
    whyamihere
    And of course BEER!Oh and shots, cocktails.....etc

LOL! With that being said - I am thankful for Las Vegas! I feel closer to God there! Can't you tell?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit