Judge: 14-year-old Jehovah's Witness can refuse blood transfusion

by Gilberto 38 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Makena1
    Makena1

What a waste of a young life! Nathan you probably saw this re: his parents from the article: Born to drug addicted parents, Lindberg moved into a Mount Vernon home with his aunt four years ago. He joined his aunt's faith and became a Jehovah's Witness

• Tatiana
  • CPiolo
  • Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I do not agree with the Society's position on blood. However, I agree with the Judge. The judge ruled on whether or not this young man was a mature minor; he did not rule on the correctness of the blood issue.

If ANY young person met the legal criteria to be considered a mature minor, this young man did. He was born to substance abusing parents, and went through more in his young life than most of us will ever face. Four years ago, he found some semblance of normalcy with his JW aunt.

It is only logical that he would adopt her authoritarian religious beliefs and view them as a source of stablity. I have no doubt that to force a blood transfusion upon him would, IN HIS MIND, make life not worth living.

Just about a month ago, I watch a UWTV (University of Washington TV) special regarding medical issues when patient beliefs conflict with medicine. Dr. Diekema is a very committed medical bioethicist; it is my understanding that Chidren's Hospital supported this young man's attempt to be deemed a mature minor.

• 5go
    5go

I hope the judge gets the public rebuking he deserves and this gets overturned quickly.

He should be disbarred for giving the child mature minor status so the child can keep practicing to his suicidal beliefs.

• uninformed
    uninformed

Toth you wrote:

Jehovah's Witnesses claim Jesus is their model, but Jesus would most certainly allow blood transfusions to save human lives. The Sabbath law was just as binding upon the Jews as the law concerning blood. Showing that such laws could and should be disobeyed if a human life is at stake, Jesus said: "Who will be the man among you that has one sheep and, if this falls into a pit on the sabbath, will not get hold of it and lift it out? All considered, of how much more worth is a man than a sheep! So it is lawful to do a fine thing on the sabbath." (Matthew 12:11, 12) "And he said to them: 'Who of you, if his son or bull falls into a well, will not immediately pull him out on the sabbath day?' And they were not able to answer back on these things." (Luke 14:5, 6) The leaders of Jehovah's Witnesses will likewise be speechless on Judgment Day when Jesus confronts them about their evil ban on blood transfusions even when human lives are in danger.

Darn good point!! One other point--They are just so f--king inconsistent with this whole issue. Brant

• 5go
    5go
    I hope the judge gets the public rebuking he deserves and this gets overturned quickly.

OK the child is dead never mind I hope the judge never makes that mistake again.

• fahrvegnugen
    fahrvegnugen

Just heard about this--link on front page of MSNBC.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22032266/

BTW I think the judge got it right...as strongly as I believe the JW blood issue is bunk, I once would have preferred death to taking blood and you don't force someone to do so against their will. At the same time, I hope this will get as much bad press for the org. as possible--maybe if it scares away a few potential converts the boy's death will have helped others in some way.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

So sad.

I discovered it on MSN's homepage a minute ago. Everyone logging out of hotmail will see it.

• juni
    juni

Thing is.... their blood policy is so convoluted and their fear mongering is so great.....most of the members will not accept any blood fractions that are "allowed". Very, very sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit