One of the most horrible things I've ever seen...

by Gregor 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gregor
    Gregor

On weekends I am the conductor on a luxury train (Fri. and Sat evening. dinner and Sun. morning brunch) that takes passengers on a 31 mile trip through the Hood River Valley. Yesterday we had 125 guests for the brunch trip. There was a man of about 40, his wife and little girl about 11. This man had no lower face. His neck came up to just under his nose and he had a hole that looked like an anus where his mouth would be. He could talk to his wife in a kind of piping, grunting sound.

The waitress who served them also works for an oral surgeon during the week and she had seen the man before. Turns out he used chewing tobacco from his teens until he got jaw cancer. He had part of his jaw and a few teeth on one side that allowed him to chew food. I wish every kid who walks around with a tin of Copenhagen in his back pocket could set across the table from him while he poked his food through a hole in his face.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

All the "cool" guys in construction around here (they're all out killing Bambi today- first day of rifle- yeeeeehaawww!) chew.

Yeah.

They're cool.

Spit the crap wherever they feel like.

True gentlemen.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

It is surprising that various things can lead to mouth cancers and most end in fatality. It is also incredible that some people with all manner of ailment proceed through life with a psychology no one feels they understand. Maybe there are forums on which they share their emotion and thoughts. I'm aware that some communities seem happy and functional whereas an otherwise regular appearance individual can be quite the opposite. I believe this is down to the invisible cage some humans spend their lives in as part of The Human Zoo and societies poor inclusional hospitality or practice of tribal dominatrixes who insist everyone takes part lol! Maybe every community needs its fair share!

• Gregor
    Gregor

I believe this is down to the invisible cage some humans spend their lives in as part of The Human Zoo and societies poor inclusional hospitality or practice of tribal dominatrixes who insist everyone takes part lol! Maybe every community needs its fair share!

R. Crusoe, So you're saying that in addition to the disfigured face this poor bastard lives with that his wife ties him up and whips his ass?

• ninja
    ninja

where's pt barnum when you need him?...roll up...roll up....come and see walrus man.......ninja ....always thinking ahead

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have seen a few disfigured men from the effects of chewing tobacco.

Its very cruel how it eats away at flesh.

I can't believe anyone chooses it over smoking thinking it is less harmless.

purps

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Gregor it is difficult to respond to your question without inviting further ambiguity so I will defer! The individual in question is most certainly one who's thoughts may have difficulty accentuating the positive, but sometimes it depends on the community to which they belong as to their quality of life and overall outlook. I have been surprised at how some disabled individuals maintain a relatively happy mindset whereas individuals in the family around them may not. It is intriguing!

• bem
    bem

Shawn Marcy a friend of my cousins living in Southern Oklahoma lost his face slowly to cancer from chewing tobacco he started at a very young age. It was big national news back around thirty years ago, his mom was one of the first people to sue the tobacco companies, and her lawsuit did not go in her favor, we applauded the courts when they started finding for people and the change now that more recent lawsuits have gone against the tobacco companys, mainly because of finding "smoking gun's" which are notes and facts that came to light in writing that proclaim executives for the tobacco companys have known for decades the harmfulness of tobacco use.

But yes, seeing the effects of what the cancer does to a person kept my family from chewing tobacco.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

How sad!

I don't see a lot of 'chewers' here, though there are some. I find it disgusting to begin with, and with the dangers, what is the appeal?

Part of it is our choke response to such things. Victims of fire burns are often quite a sight - yet in those cases it was not usually personal choice that lead to the disfigurement. It is a hard thing to see though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit