Watched TV evangelists for the first time today

by shopaholic 34 Replies latest jw friends

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I was flipping through the channels while doing cardio and I decided to hear what a couple of these people had to say. While I've determined that I'm agnostic, this one guy was pretty good...he was practical and funny. He made the bible seem more like a good self-help book than a "book laws to be obeyed or else you'll die". He also explained a couple of scriptures really well and highlighted parts typically passed over by JWs, which was very interesting. There was another guy that was so boring I almost fell asleep on the treadmill so I flipped back to the other guy.

This is the first time I've ever watched church on TV in my life. He said a few things that made me uncomfortable, like "God takes people" but other than that it felt like a motivational seminar. I watched for about 15 minutes. I don't see myself going to church or getting involved with any religion anytime soon but I'm open to watching church TV for about 15-20 minutes if someone good is on.

I knew a few JWs that would give their talks in a lively fashion but they would always get told that it was "too churchy" and to tone it down.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Hi Shop!

I've been watching TV evangelists for a long time even before I stopped association with JWs, but more recently I have been watching 2 programs on the EWTN network (the Catholic channel). I never thought I would find programs which appealed to me there but I found two. They are both 1/2 long, both are 3 women having a discussion, with one being the "teacher." One group discusses Jesus' life from the gospel of Luke and it's called "Reasons For Our Hope" and the other group discusses Jesus' life from the gospel of John and it's called "For God So Loved The World." I have actually learned some things which have added to my understanding of the gospels, and things which you would not hear at the KH.

As I look back in retrospect, I truly believe my mom would have never left the Catholic religion and become a JW, if she could have found a disuccsion group to join as these ladies have. She was born and raised Catholic and her siblings were appalled that she became a JW in the 1940's. I would say her parish priest failed her in not being able to answer some of her questions and that's why she turned to JWs, and raised me as one. My dad was not a practicing Catholic, so he didn't interfere too much with that but I really wished he would have put his foot down on some issues, such as him wanting me to go to college. I didn't find out about that until a few years ago before she died.

• POs Son
    POs Son

My favorite is Joel Osteen. www.joelosteen.com He is not fire and brimstone, rather preaches the good news of the bible. He is refreshingly positive, and proclaims faith and grace, not duty and field service!

• horrible life
    horrible life

I like Joel Osteen also. And Robert Schuller. His program is called Hour of Power. His son has just about taken over, because time marches on. Robert Schuller was one of the first to tone down church, and start preaching love. Money flows in.

Notice, that with both of the above ministries, they were not included in the witch hunt, that the U.S. Senator has going on. Neither one of them beg for money. Please send it, but they don't beg.

edited to add... " God Loves you, and so do I "

• dinah
    dinah

I love Joyce Meyer. She has practical ideas on depression. Also, she breaks things down into simple, everyday things. There is no fire and brimstone, but she does point out how we can make better decisions in our lives.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

I am rather entertained by the TV people. John Hagee, CornerStone baptist in Tx. is a favorite. I was especially curious today as to whether any of them would have picked up on the JW scandal on NBC. Didn't hear a word. Perhaps their programs are pre-recorded? Would you think? I know some are re-runs. Tell me though,how do those afro-american Preachers do that gasping stutter whatever you call it thing?

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

I have varied opinions of the people mentioned but I can comment on one thing.

I don't remember any one preacher or ministry downing the JWs and I don't know why but I GUESS that it is because they really don't know for sure how bad the JWs really are or how wrong they are, how wicked they are, etc.

Or maybe they don't want to resort to name calling like the JWs do.

sacrebleu

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I always got a kick our of Ernest Angley- trans. honest angel- I just can't take someone who wears an animal for a wig and has no neck too seriously. He smacks people unconcious on the forehead to heal. I also notices he sticks his fingers in his followers ears to suck the evil spirits out so the poor folk can hear again. Is that a wet willy??

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Aw come on - someone please call these teleidiots the swine they really are. I sometimes watch these jerks for humour but never for truth.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

To perhaps answer Sacrebleu's question, perhaps the Society is really insignificant in numbers. After all there are only 6 million plus. There are 22 million Catholics in Mexico City alone. Big difference.

I recently wondered why they do not use the television media to broadcast a show. Seems a much way to bring in the sheep than door to door pestering.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit