Watched TV evangelists for the first time today

by shopaholic 34 Replies latest jw friends

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Sorry for the late response but was I out ..well..shopping. The preacher I saw is named David Jeremiah or something like that. But I know witnesses that have mentioned Joel Osten and said that he would make a good witness if he had the "truth" and when I found out who he was, I was surprised that several witness I knew watched his program from time to time. He has a book with daily thoughts and I usually read several pages whenever I stop by Borders...its pretty good. I'll lookout for his program.

I recently wondered why they do not use the television media to broadcast a show.

I've at times wondered the same thing. However, maybe this means I'm making progess towards freedom because in the past I would have NEVER watched anything like this. It felt very liberating.

• martinwellborne
    martinwellborne

they all seem like gameshow hosts to me

• blondie
    blondie

I like Joel Osteen's positive approach and as long as Joyce Meyer stays away from intense religious crap, she is good on practical living advice. Better than the WTS any day. But I am not delusional not to know they have an agenda and that recently Joyce Meyer's group has been held to the light of living sumptuously on the rank and file dime.

Blondie

• calico
    calico

I like the "Farting Preacher"

• VM44
    VM44

Remember Gene Scott?

Nobody topped him!.

I remember watching Gene go on ranting for half an hour on air once because someone on his staff opened a door in the auditorium that Gene said should not be opened. He told the viewers that if they didn't like his ranting over the one mistake someone made, then call in, give your name to the staff, and he (Gene) would see that you never get tickets to hear him speak! (oh, the punishment!)

He was a very unusual man.

I understand Gene's wife has taken over the ministry after he died.

--VM44

• dinah
    dinah

I haven't given Joyce Myer any money. I checked a couple of her books out of the library. When they start begging for money, I turn the channel.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

A little story about Robert Schuller. He was on a flight my friend was working from LA to Cabo. She said he must have driven 500mph to get from his church that Sunday to make the flight. He bullied the agents into putting him into first class. Once there he demanded white wine and kept demanding refills to the tune of one whole bottle during the boarding process. He never once said thank you. He would ring the call button (he was reading a newspaper) and shake his empty glass at her. Of course Mrs Dr Robert Schuller was not going with him. He has a big boat in Cabo. He went to use the lav up front and as he passed my friend he put his had on her arm by her elbow which ment his knuckles were touching her breast. He said something like, "I hope youre not one of those politcally correct feminsts types are you? She burned holes in him staring him down.

He also was involved on a United flight and slapped a flight attendant because they would not hang his robes where he wanted. He was on Larry King for that one I think with either his son or lawyer.

You simply cannot give humans any position of authority/power/eminance because they become AHs.

• Gregor
    Gregor

All these characters eventually get around to asking for money donations as a way for the viewer/listener to practice their belief. As the record shows they also have a very difficult time resisting sexual temptations in their private life.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I like to listen to Charles Price from the Peoples Church in Toronto....Also Charles Stanley !
    He did put Betty Scott on TV telling why she left the Watchtower..

I believe in England the Watchtower does preach on T.V

• Mary
    Mary

The only one I like to watch is Charles Stanley......some of his ideas are pretty strict......but I still think he's probably the best one on TV. He's not a frothing-at-the-mouth-raving-lunatic like some of them are......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit