Email being circulated among JWs regarding the Golden Compass

by The Oracle 43 Replies latest jw friends

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Thought I would share this warning email that is circulating among hundreds of JWs...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to inform you all of a children's movie that is coming out in December, during the Christmas season, which is entitled " The Golden Compass". The film stars Nicole Kidman and is based on the first of a trilogy of books for children called "His Dark Materials" written by Phillip Pullman of England . Phillip Pullman is a proud atheist who belongs to secular humanist societies. The movie is based on the least
    offensive of the three books, and they have dumbed down the worse elements.

The concern is that unsuspecting parents will take their kids to this movie, and say "this wasn't troubling" and then buy his trilogy books where in the end the children kill God and everyone can do as they please. So basically the movie is bait for the books. In the movie God is at times called Yahweh, that was done on purpose so the movie would
    seem a little milder when viewed. Phillip Pullman is hoping that
    unsuspecting parents will take their children to see the movie, they will enjoy the movie, and then the children will want the books for Christmas . Writer Phillip Pullman says he wants the children to read his books and decide against God and the kingdom of heaven. Pullman also made the remark that he wants to kill God in the minds of children, and that's what his books are all about.

The movie is a watered down version of the first book, which is the least offensive of the three books. The second book of the trilogy is "The Subtle Knife", and the third book is "The Amber Spyglass". Each book gets worse and worse regarding Pullman 's hatred of God. In the trilogy, a young girl becomes enmeshed in an epic struggle against a nefarious church known as the Magisterium. Another character, an ex-nun, describes Christianity as "a very powerful and convincing mistake". Inthe last book, a boy and a girl are depicted representing Adam and Eve and they kill God.
    Pullman left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a 2003interview that "My books are about killing God." Conservative Britishcolumnist Peter Hitchens labeled Pullman "The most dangerous Author in Britain " and described his as a the writer "the atheists would have been praying for, if atheist prayed".

You can google a synapsis of the The Golden Compass , you will be surprised to find that in a children's book part of the story is about castration and female circumcision.

• eclipse
    eclipse

oracle, I predict you will have a pm in your inbox in very near future

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I've read all three books and didn't get that out of them...it's fantasy nothing more nothing less...I've even let my 10 year old daughter (she was nine at the time) read them and she's really excited about the movie coming out.

Josie

• Narkissos
  • AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I've real all three books and thought that they were amazing !

Anti-religion yes... but not anti God. They may kill the decrepid personification of a religious tyrant, but they do not kill true spirituality and the true God.

Can't wait for the film to come out here... December 5th.

We had a different name for the books over here - the first one was called "The Northern Lights", but the rest were the same.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Eclipse!

Your prophecy has come true!

Eclipse: 1 - Watchtower: 0

LOL!

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Very interesting Alpha,

Needless to say I'll be at the advance screening...

• DJK
    DJK
    Writer Phillip Pullman says he wants the children to read his books and decide against God and the kingdom of heaven. Pullman also made the remark that he wants to kill God in the minds of children, and that's what his books are all about.

Is there somewhere I can research this Philip Pullman myself?

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I don't know much about him myself but here is a link with some info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Pullman

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I saw this production as a series of plays in London a few years ago - again, it was breathtaking.

http://www.philip-pullman.com/pages/content/index.asp?PageID=92

Afterwards Philip Pullman did a Q & A session.

He seemed to definately be anti-church and anti-religion but there is a definate spirituality to this trilogy.

His main gripe seems to be the oppressive nature of the church

http://www.thirdway.org.uk/past/showpage.asp?page=3949

There are two other books in the series, Lyra's Oxford and "The Book of Dust"

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2176386.ece

Pullman defending the book here :
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21595083/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit