Email being circulated among JWs regarding the Golden Compass

by The Oracle 43 Replies latest jw friends

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    #3 Luna said on November 9, 2007:

I'm 13 and I heard about this from my dad, who received a warning email about the movie. I looked into researching the entire movie and what Pullman said, and I'll say it myself - I am ENGRAGED with this horrid man and his intention on killing God. For Pete's sake, how idiotic is this man? His "Adam and Eve kill God" is a misinterpretation on the book of Genesis. Adam and Eve did NOT choose to not believe in God, they just chose wisdom over Him. This man once believed in God, it's evident, if he knows the book of Genesis. That means he's not atheist...he's SATANIST!
    My friend and her brother handed out flyers advising people NOT to see this movie and saying what it's about and what it's propoganda for. We met together and we've decided that she, another friend, and I are convincing three local youth groups (two of which we attend) to do a "Golden Compass" protest outside a local theater on the date of its release and the day after. The Lord is an important part of my life and anyone who criticizes or tries to destroy belief in Him is dead to me.I understand that the protest will just bring more attention to the movie but if we phrase our posters right and such, we CAN and we WILL encourage people to boycott!
    GOD IS KING ABOVE ALL!

http://www.danzfamily.com/archives/2007/10/the_golden_compass_movie_by_philip_pullm.php

There's none so blind as those that cannot see.

Who are they to shout their mouths off about something that they haven't even taken the trouble to read for themselves ???

Puppets !

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

There's none so blind as those that cannot see.

Who are they to shout their mouths off about something that they haven't even taken the trouble to read for themselves ???

Puppets !

Reminds me of a District Overseer that was speaking disparagingly of the film The Passion of the Christ. He was scandalized because of all the reports HQ had received about brothers and sisters going to see it. How can you criticize something as inaccurate if you haven't seen it?

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

It's daft... just another version of the emperor's new clothes.

One dubbie shouts "fire", so they all see it.

Whatever happened to freedom of thought ?

What kind of a spiritual connection are these people ever expected to make if they get fed some sterile over-processed Watchtower version of the truth ?

How is anyone ever expected to chew life and pick the meat from between their teeth days after the meal - if they are only fed pureed Watchtower slop ?

There you go, I'm grumpy and tired... it's 2:30am, and I'm off to sleep. Night all.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Is this like harry potter all over again?

• 5go
    5go

Sound like my type of movie then I guess I might see it then.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My JW mom sent me an article making the same claims. It came from a fundamentalist christian site. There is apparently some controversy regarding it outside of JW land. I will probably see it, I see most kid movies.

The Arlington Olympic theater is a old fashioned one screen theater and they are probably going to be showing it. BTW, support your old fashioned mom and pop theaters. They are so wonderful in our little towns and add character. . .plus they are going the way of the dinosaur, and just think what most of your kids would give now for a dinosaur!!!:)

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I commented on this in another topic before I saw this thread. It doesn't surprise me that JWs are getting on the bandwagon of the "ban the movie/book" contingent.

One poster commented on the bloodthirstyness of the bible. It brought back a comment my daughter made when she was just a toddler. I asked her which story from the Book of Bible Stories she wanted me to read to her. She responded, "cut the baby in half"

Kids are incredibly intelligent. Parents who try to stifle their growth by severly limiting what they are allowed to see/hear/read are doing their children a great disservice, in my opinion.

• Caedes
    Caedes

The books are so good, I read the first one and by the end of the week I had gone out and bought and read the other two as well. Mrs Caedes is reading northern lights as we speak.

I have offered to take take my sisters kids to see the film, just hoping that this e-mail passes their JW dad by.

It's funny that watching all the old biblical epics that used to show for whole afternoons on a sunday, never convinced me that christianity was right. Somehow I doubt that a series of fantasy novels or films are likely to have kids marching out en mass to pick up the god delusion.

For a bunch of people who have 'the truth' they are strangely terrified of dissenting opinion.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

LOL.. I thought this was so funny,

My son has read all 3 in that trilogy and cant wait to see the film, which I shall be proudly taking him to next weekend. As another poster commented, there are far more scary things in the Bible.

He also has every Harry Potter book and his favourite childrens author Darren Shan writes a series of books called 'Demonata'..

Empty Headed Witnesses. I'm so glad I'm not one anymore.

Poppy

• poppers
    poppers

My curiosity is certainly piqued. I am looking forward to reading the book and watching the movie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit