Heartbreak - A Marriage Divided By Religion

by daniel-p 22 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

It's very hard for me to type these words - just as it was when I first knew I didn't believe in the WTS and Jehovah anymore.

I have a huge ball in the throat, my stomach refuses to settle down, I feel like vomitting, crying, wretching, heaving. When I first left the truth my self-esteem plummeted. I thought to myself, "my wife would be better off with another man - someone she can go to the meetings with, someone she can go out in service with." But I got over that, partially in thanks to some comments posted here when I spoke about it. Someone said, don't even think about it - it will kill you.

A few days ago I learned that my wife (who still goes to meetings and so forth) has/had a "crush" on a man in the Hall. In her own words, she became obsessed with him. She avoided him whenever at the meetings, but was still drawn to him and felt comforted by his presense. He was the only one who treated her like she wasn't "weird," asking her where I was and giving awkward stares. Something about his eyes attracted her, as well as his firm handshake. It was this very man who fleetingly entered my mind a year ago - the man I briefly thought she would be better off with. That was my lowest moment when I was leaving the truth. And now I'm forced to relive that moment. Except now I know its actually possible.

A couple of months ago he left the country and went to a place where my wife has always wanted to go. She told him before he left that "he was living her dream." I'm not too sure how big of a factor it is that I'm no longer in the truth. Would she still be attracted to this man if I were in?

She tried to forget him during this entire past year. She said she drank martinis every night so she wouldn't have to feel her reality. He is everything she would have wanted. So now she has to find a way to be happy with me.

What can I do? I've tried to be a good man at home. I work hard to give her what I think would make her happy. Maybe I'm not as present as she would like. I come home from work and need my queit time, sometimes ignoring her when she talks, as I sit in my chair. I know I'm a good man. Has she lost sight of my passion? What causes her to be so unhappy with me? What causes her happiness to hang on a thread, and tip over, whenever he comes back into her life?

We talked late into the night lastnight. What it came down to was this: would she be able to be happy with me knowing I cannot giver her religious companionship? If we glossed all this over, had children, and looked back at 20 years, would she view this time as a missed opportunity for real happiness?

The past couple of days have been surreal. I see myself walking toward the door, telling her to go and see if he'll take her in, to be happy with him and forget about the last 5 years she's spent with me. That I had thought we were doing fine, I thought we were happy, but now I realize you were in much pain and agony over your love for him. But you really weren't happy and tried to distract yourself from your circumstances. But me and my household can't serve as your distraction.

I don't feel any less affection for you. But where I once felt overwhelimingly grateful to have you as my companion and friend, I feel sorrow now. We've both lost something. Should I assume crushing pain to give you up? Would it mean you feel less pain?

Now is one of those moments when I'm afraid to act or say anything - our lives hang precipitously, will they fall together or fall away?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Now is one of those moments when I'm afraid to act or say anything - our lives hang precipitously, will they fall together or fall away?

I am so sorry you (and she) are in such pain.

-Aude.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Daniel-p

While your situation is a little different from mine, I too am in a marriage divided by religion.

I stopped believing a number of years ago and consequently I am almost inactive.

I have persuaded my wife that all is not well in the cult, but she still wants to go to meetings and that's where her friends are.

Our marriage has been stormy - we've both had the divorce/separation speech over religious arguments. Fortunately, she still cares enough to stay, knowing that one day I will leave the religion forever.

It's difficult to know what to do.

Don't berate yourself or be hard on yourself.

It sounds like your wife's dream is to have a husband taking the lead and suppporting her in her worship. This was my wife's wish as well.

I ruined my wife's expectations of me as a spiritual head.

She even says to me on occasion that "I've ruined her life." - No doubt you probably hear the same thing.

Just keep doing what you're doing, take her out, talk to her, put your interests aside if you hope to keep her.

We're all here for you.

Truthseeker

• dawg
    dawg

That's a sad post, but I'm not certain that love can doesn't change over time... you still love them but can't live with them becasue so much has changed.. good luck bro...

• Balsam
    Balsam

The fact is even if you had been a strong witness and right there with her she could still feel drawn to this brother. The question is does he feel that way? It may be one sided on her part and she using your lack of interest in the religion to be looking for romance elsewhere. She may be hungry for being romanced, it is intoxicating.

The JW religion does not necessarily equal happy marriages. People often stay together because they believe divorce is wrong long after the love has died. Your wife may be imagining a so called perfect marriage too and part of her love for you was tied to your love of the religion.

There are many things that draw people together and when one element dies out it can cause a cascading affect. My JW husband and I stayed married for 30 years, but the love I felt for him disintegrated 7 years into the marriage when he fell in love with other sister whom he claimed he never was intimate with. He and she stayed in their respective marriages but the damage was done. I never felt the same for him after that. We just coasted all the rest of the 22 years of marriage.

Sorry your experiencing such pain, relationships are hard to maintain. I can only assure you can survive this all. Many of us here have been through the same thing.

Ruth

• 4mylove
    4mylove

I'm so sorry. I hope the answer comes quickly and this isn't dragged out. Have you shared all of your reasons for leaving with her? I know that is extremely hard. Best of luck to you, keep hope. Stick around here, there is much needed advice and help.

• Bourne
    Bourne

daniel-p,

I too have been in a similar situation. Because of my own paranoia, though, I can't go into many details. You can look at my 1st post to see my basic story if you want.

However, in my particular instance, religion has been only a "part" of our problems. Yet, I can attest to the divisive tendencies that the JW religion has in regards to marriage.

Your description of your feelings and emotions echos my own. Yet, as others have said, time has begun to heal my own wounds. All I can say is find someone to talk to, even if it is just YOU going to a marriage councilor. The following is a link to a website that I whole-heartedly agree with.... http://www.marriagefriendlytherapists.com/index.php?v=1.

Hang in there. Remember to take care of yourself WHILE you're trying to attend to your marriage. And if things take a turn for the worst, at least YOU can have a clear conscience about how YOU have handled the marriage. She will have to make HER OWN decision.

Take care,

Bourne

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Having walked in your shoes I can say I don't have a clue where you're going to end up, but you sound as unhappy as your spouse about being in a marriage that is divided spiritually. I wonder if you aren't passively aggressively trying to get her to make the decision to break the marriage so you don't have to. Sorry you're having to go through this.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

(daniel)

Sorry to hear it bro. It sounds like hell.

I don't know what is going to happen to you. I'd like you though to keep reminding yourself that it's not your fault that she wants something from you that you can't give. JWs go into a marriage assuming that nothing will change, but they still take a risk that something might, she must know that. If she decides that you're now unacceptable to her, tell yourself that that makes her unacceptable to you - you both made vows. They obviously don't mean anything to her if she's willing to let a little thing like you changing your religious views get in the way of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit