God cannot break his own laws!

by LtCmd.Lore 16 Replies latest jw friends

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Interesting thread Lt.

One scriptural story pops to mind, in the god cannot break his own rules/make mistakes category, right away.

Noah and the ark. The biblical account, said that god regretted making man, hence the flood. So, god who is perfect, and cannot break his own rules, gave mankind a chance at redemption after Adam and Eve screwed up, then took a hissy fit, with the people of Noah's day, regretted making them, and poof, wiped them all out, then he says, he'll never destroy all living things again, oh wait, yeah, armageddon, he'll just destroy all the wicked people, same thing, different method perhaps? Isn't that sort of like bending the rules?

And I always found it funny that the bible never says god regretted making the angels after they came down to earth and bonked the local chicks, yet he regretted making man. Double standard or what? LOL Now thats one to wrap your head around...the angels in heaven, were jealous of fleshly passion and wanted in on the action. Guess heaven isn't all its cracked up to be right?

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

Sometimes I'm driving down the road and I miss my turn, or don't see a sign, etc... and I think to myself, "I really regret that I hadn't seen that turn, it would have saved me thirty minutes of driving around (like this last Friday afternoon)." In that case, it is due to my own ignorance that I feel regret. I feel regret because of myself. When God created man, he created him "very good". But he could not really be in God's likeness if he chose no longer to be like Him. Was it for the better? Not for him. Very regrettable.

If you were helping a person recovering from drug abuse and you set him up so that he had everything he needed to for a recovery and he chose to reject the treatment and get all the other people you had tried to help in the past hooked again, that is a very regrettable thing. You now regret even taking him in to try to help, because in fact it has caused more damage, no fault of your own.

As far as God regretting the angels actions at that time, the fact that it doesn't mention it explicitly doesn't mean that its not true. We see from their later role that they are to help the seed of Abraham, which is truly helping in the restoration of mankind. They(the angels that fell) not only didn't help, they got all the other recovering junkies hooked again (not literally, but they made it worse). God didn't have the Bible written to tell the angels how he felt about their actions, he had it written for men to know. He may have just told the angels to their face for all we know, or he may not have.

As far as the different method for destruction, didn't that part you referenced about regret over destruction have to do with the fact that animals had been destroyed by the flood, and that in the future he would not allow them to suffer the same fate for the sake of man? This, not stating that man was no longer to be punished for his wicked works.

• freeme
    freeme

@threadcreator:

i think you missunderstood the jw concept. its not that god cannot break his own "laws", because the laws are human laws not god laws. there are no laws for gods in the bible. what he cant break are his own principles! the biggest example is righteousness. the idea is that god cannot be unrighteous, because he dont want to, hes perfect (so he always does want he wants) and he doesnt change.

its more of a promise to man, but an inability of god. and since this promise comes from a perfect god there is no chance it will fail.

thats the mind concept.

edit:

its like when a man says "i wont ever kill my children!". he wont do that, he loves them - he doesnt want any harm to them. so in his whole lifetime he "cannot" kill his children, because he loves them. noone would even think of the possibility. but that doesnt mean that he would be practically unable to do so...

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

This web site shows how many of his laws he did in fact break it's worth a look, it has some relevance to the thread topic http://www.evilbible.com/ Click the Link

• freeme
    freeme

Interesting thread Lt.

One scriptural story pops to mind, in the god cannot break his own rules/make mistakes category, right away.

Noah and the ark. The biblical account, said that god regretted making man, hence the flood. So, god who is perfect, and cannot break his own rules, gave mankind a chance at redemption after Adam and Eve screwed up, then took a hissy fit, with the people of Noah's day, regretted making them, and poof, wiped them all out, then he says, he'll never destroy all living things again, oh wait, yeah, armageddon, he'll just destroy all the wicked people, same thing, different method perhaps? Isn't that sort of like bending the rules?

And I always found it funny that the bible never says god regretted making the angels after they came down to earth and bonked the local chicks, yet he regretted making man. Double standard or what? LOL Now thats one to wrap your head around...the angels in heaven, were jealous of fleshly passion and wanted in on the action. Guess heaven isn't all its cracked up to be right?

hahaha! youre great sweetstuff :-D seriously these are some nice views. to this day i never wondered about Genesis 8:21-22 before. but yes, he told that there wont be a destruction because of mankind again. but im sure the witnesses answer to that is that he meant he wont destroy ALL animals again. in armageddon its "only" nearly all humankind. the view of god regretting making man when the angels did wrong in first place is new to me. thank you! the whole thing with the nephelim i never believed fully. is heaven such a boring place that GENDERLESS angels want to be HUMANS and OF COURSE MALES! it seems like not even one angel wanted to be a woman. women dont enjoy sex you know? its the same curiousity like god smelling burned flesh of sacrficed animals and actually "liking" it... thats what the bibles tells us... in most cases the bible story makes MUCH sense, when you think of it as an ancient religious book written by humans including their human views and ideas of the world. and nearly makes no sense at all when you label it with the god sticker. the same fits creation/evolution. that humans have the genetic blueprint for a tail in their genom isnt proof against creation, but it makes much sense from a evolutionary viewpoint. im not a evolutionist btw. im pretty much undecided. still a jw, still (below average) active, still cant see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    As far as the different method for destruction, didn't that part you referenced about regret over destruction have to do with the fact that animals had been destroyed by the flood, and that in the future he would not allow them to suffer the same fate for the sake of man? This, not stating that man was no longer to be punished for his wicked works.

Wow, the animals get more love than us humans, that kind of bites the big one don't it?

• Farkel
    Farkel

Anti-Christ,

You said:

:I ask If god CAN NOT do evil that means he as no free will.

First, what is actually evil and who determines it must be defined.

: The answer I got was it's not that he can't it's because he his so pure and just that he does not want to.

The problem with that answer is that it implies that God did not define what was evil, and his "purity" is that he obeys and is subject to a concept of "good" that it outside Himself.

The is the view that believes that God did not create the Divine Command Theory of Ethics.

: An other answer I got was no mater what he does it's good because he his the decider of good and evil so whatever he decides is good, it's good.

This is the view that God DID create the Divine Command Theory of Ethics.

Here's something I wrote on the Divine Command Theory of Ethics, good and evil, right and wrong:

What's Right about "Right?"

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/4252/1.ashx

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit