God cannot break his own laws!

by LtCmd.Lore 16 Replies latest jw friends

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Whether or not he has actually done so is tangential to this topic.

My question is: Why does the WTS seem to think that god cannot break his own laws?

There was recently a CO at our hall, he was talking about religious stuff as they usually do.

But he said that the old saying: "With God, all things are possible." is not true, because there are several things he can't do. "He cannot lie, he cannot die, and he cannot break his own laws."

I mean, I can understand CHOOSING not to break your own laws, but being incapable of it?

That is extremely weird.

I don't know of any scripture to support this assertion.

They spend a lot of time trying desperately to prove that god doesn't break his own rules. However as far as I can tell, that's not a Biblical teaching anyway.

Thoughts?

Lore - W.W.S.D?

• erynw
    erynw

Well, he does break his own laws, that's proven. Not sure where it says he "can't".

(Your actual mileage may vary, deity may not be exactly as described or even exist, actions may be misrepresented, misattributed or lied about, obfuscating poetic language may be used in descriptions, words such as 'anything', 'proof', 'know', 'true' may be misused/redefined.)

• avengers
    avengers

Thou shalt not kill!

How many has he killed?

Andy

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.....Say`s the WBT$!..They claim to speak for God!.....The WBT$ lies on a daily basis!..Would God?...OUTLAW

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Reading one religious book may contradict that assertion. The Bible! Look at the earlier kinds of behaviors that seem to have pleased God and ones which condoned abandoning His commandments respecting peoples who knew nothing of Hebrew law. Consider the same kinds of things in modern day followers of this book. Much has changed! Some would consider it as proof that God changes His mind. Others that God breaks His own laws. Still others that God does not change His truth or His mind, just like the laws of science, and that maybe the whole collection of books which are the Bible do not belong together! My feeling has always been that Jesus nature is the nature of God! More so than any God of the OT. And my feeling also is that JWs over emphasize the nature of the OT God in instilling fear into their people when in fact their doctrines attempt to follow many of Jesus rulings which were born out of a love for righteousness and not a fear of rules. In effect, my experience was of attempting to live a reality in which my mind was diametrically opposed to my spirit. And so I now use my spirit to instruct myself as to its own direction due to its pain at having followed that of family and religious groups. It is the kindest I can be to myself - and to others!

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester

So, jesus is a cherry-picker, too? LOL. Maybe so is god.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I mean, I can understand CHOOSING not to break your own laws, but being incapable of it?

That is extremely weird.

I have thought about this one many times and I did ask a few believers about it. the answers I got were not very satisfying. I ask If god CAN NOT do evil that means he as no free will. The answer I got was it's not that he can't it's because he his so pure and just that he does not want to. An other answer I got was no mater what he does it's good because he his the decider of good and evil so whatever he decides is good, it's good.

One question I would love to ask a JW is if the 144000 are reserected incorruptible (can not sin) does that mean they lose there free will?

• DJK
    DJK

It sounds like a cop-out to me.

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

I've heard many times also that God cannot break his own laws. I would have to say that that seems to be a wrong statement. When a law is created it is with a group in mind to be subject to it. When God laid out the ten commandments (I'm not trying to start a separate thread on why whether or not we are still under them), they were addressed to the Jewish people. He had them in mind. He certainly didn't have himself in mind. When he created the laws of the universe such as gravity, he had material objects in mind, not himself. That is why he is not subject to gravity and decay, although everything in our material universe is. The idea that a lawgiver is necessarily subject to his own laws is not explicitly stated in the Bible, as far as I know.

Since all moral laws are really just a manifestation of God's love in how he would prefer men treat each other, we see that his principle is love. I do believe to an extent however, that it is sort of like the "How could God not have a beginning?" question.

This is just my opinion. But if I were to ask you, could you [insert the most disgusting action you could do to the most innocent victim imaginable]? You would certainly say "no", not because your body wasn't capable of performing it, but because consciously you would never allow it.

-my 2 cents

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

If you re-read my previous post on this thread you will see the shape of my heart. It is attempting to maintain a love for a God of love and those humans who have lived in some way in that image, after having experienced much pain at having fully committed my personal loyalties and love to family and organized faiths in which I came to the full realization that it was far from a reciprocal arrangement. In essence, if I really am made in the image of a God of love, my last drop of energy will endeavor to be expended with that in mind absent of all outside influences which have deliberated to undermine and destroy that very spirit which lives within me! In other words - it is between ME n IM period! And I would advise anyone else to do the same whether they conclude God exists or not!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit