Goodbye from James Free

by James Free 38 Replies latest jw friends

• James Free
    James Free

When I joined JWD I still felt the need for a 'support group' and JWD was full of similar people wanting to share their experience. Now the time has come for me to leave - I am now able to put 35 years of JW living completely out of my head.

Many factors have helped me, and JWD was an important part of that, and I will always be grateful to Simon for setting up this forum.

I would probably have stayed longer, but the forum is not what it was. Newbies ARE discouraged (OF COURSE they may still suffer from some JW indoctrination and may sometimes defend the beliefs they held for years - berating them does nothing to help them past it), and it is not unusual to read an intolerant reply to a poster.

I am sure this happened from time to time when I first joined, so why is it so much more noticeable now for me? Maybe in part because I am ready to move on. And maybe in part because the forum seems to have moved on into 'middle age' - The vitality, interesting life experiences, information from JW insiders, quality doctrinal discussions etc have given way to pulp - Just read the active thread topics to see that.

I always thought when the time came, I would not write a goodbye thread. They always seemed pointless, since by tomorrow James Free will be forgotten. But I hope that my comments on the current state of this board might persuade even a small number to realize that things need to change here before it's too late, and the 'support group' is no longer there for the next new ex-JW.

Richard James - Free at last.

• *summer*
    *summer*

sad to see you leave...

wishing you the very best...

*summer*

• zeroday
    zeroday

People come and go it is the nature of discussion boards. With a board like this anyone can find pretty much what suits them. I don't get your point about discouraging beginners we were all one at one time. I have never understood the point of "GOOD BYE" threads either unless it is a plea to be asked to stay...If a person has been here then leaves then leave end of story...

• bisous
    bisous

See ya, James.

• watson
    watson

Don't leave James!! If you go, you won't see the positive effects of your post.

• V
    V

Cheers, Richard

alt

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I am now able to put 35 years of JW living completely out of my head.

Most sincere congratulations on that huge accomplishment.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Don't leave James!! If you go, you won't see the positive effects of your post.

OH something tells me he will be checking for replys...those who start good bye threads always want to hear how bad they will be missed and being begged to stay...

• sf
    sf

Trust me, you don't want to leave just yet.

Plus, I've never felt that this board was for support, persay. There are specific forums and boards for that.

This forum is highly informative in how there are hundreds of people researching and sharing that research re: the corruption and fraud known as the WTBTS.

You are right in that it isn't what it used to be, it just isn't AS informative.

Yet it is still the number ONE forum with thousands of pages of pertinent info and 'study'.

I guess it is what YOU make of it and want it to be, for you. How this forum works for you most surely is not how it is working for others.

On the trust me part above, that's a choice too.

sKally

• Gregor
    Gregor

James Free, yet another poster who didn't get it. That doesn't make him a bad person or dumb or anything else, and I don't think he should make a dramatic departure. I have appreciated his contributions. He projected his vision of what the site should be and apparently wasn't flexible enough to go with it when the reality didn't fit.

For the record, IMHO, this site is still worth it's weight in gold to a lot of folks making the transition out of the JW cult. But it seems there is always some goodhearted soul who wants to come in and "tidy up".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit