Why all the Testing?

by zack 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• zack
    zack

The Bible is full of stories about God needing to test people, either as individuals or as a group, the most notorious being the testing

of Adam and Eve.

Why does an omnipotent and omniscient being need to "test" his creation? Are we like products in a factory? Is this part of a quality assurance program?

Why take the Hebrews out of Egypt only to scourge them three days later?

Why have twelve spies report to the people about the promised land and then punish the people because they sided with the report of 10 of their brethren versus

two of their brethren?

And of course I can go on. Maybe I am just coming to see what a crock of unbeleivable shit it all is.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Why are you testing us whether we agree with you or not?

abr

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

That was one of the things that got me thinking. Why the need for testing? Especially when we're told we won't be tested beyond our ability?

If each test is within our ability, then frankly there are no tests. Rather, we can only and always just "do the best we can", and that is judged as "good enough".

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

VE:

If each test is within our ability, then frankly there are no tests

dammmmnn...thats profound...i LIKE it... I will have to remember it...

Snakes ()

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yah, adam and eve were perfect products of a perfect god, his crowning achievement. Or, were they? Apparently not, since they failed their first quality test. But still, the bible says that they were perfect. Conundrums, conundrums.

S

• oompa
    oompa

I am still really a newbie.......I really don't know what to believe anymore

• BIG D
    BIG D

and god said it was good, then why the test, you said all was good, now you have to entice them to disbehave, my kids are great, but if i say do not eat the candy, and put it in front of them, guess whatTHEY ARE GONNA EAT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i do not punish them and all there children for 1000's of years, that is cruel, god of love ; where;

big d

• Uncertain
    Uncertain

On the days when I am not absolutely sure about this complicated system of Christianity (not JW stuff), I consider this. I wonder if we are God's beta version? Seriously, I know that he is (oops, He) is inerrant and all that stuff but when I think of how quickly he acted when just two people screwed up, I wonder if we weren't the first try on a planet of this size and shape.

Jesus wouldn't support calling down severe punishment on a whole species because of the behavior of only two, would he? Maybe we are somewhere on his learning curve. After all, if His inerrant self had to flood the whole place for a do-over, it makes me wonder.

• BIG D
    BIG D

HEY UNCERTAIN,

if we are made in his image, that must give us, some of his thinking capacity, and since we think about these senarios, he has absolute power, i agree, what keeps us from being planet#45????????or should i say experiment # 45

big d

• Dagney
    Dagney

I know. I struggled with this whole testing thing myself at the start of my journey. It doesn't make sense.

What really doesn't make sense is the "FDS", "little flock," can live their short little life (Test #1) and immediately be granted eternal/immortal life (just think of Jaracz, Rutherford et al) upon their death, in a twinkling of an eye.

Now the "other sheep," (poor suckers), have to live their short little life (Test #1), some under their direct rule, die, wait to be resurrected, pass Test #2 during the 1,000 years, and if they fail, eternal destruction.

Where is the thorough testing of these wonderful judges who are supposed to be deciding life and death of the poor little other sheep. (Again, think of Jaracz and Rutherford.) What's with all the testing of other sheep just so they can live happy dappy with their own pet lion in their own Swiss chalet in the mountains in "The Paradise?"

Doesn't make sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit