What's the big deal with Jesus' "sacrifice"?

by bluesapphire 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• destructo-girl
    destructo-girl

BlakeSeeley - I liked your answer to the topic, it was very nicely written, it's lovely that you've come away from the JWs and kept your Christian faith. I certainly don't want to bash people who have Christian faith, if anything I'm a little jealous, I'd have liked to have kept my faith. I was proud to be a Christian.

I'm sorry to hear that some people may find this thread offensive, because as a newbie and someone who's been lurking a long time I'm finding this thread inspirational. Truly.

Thank you for your reply Bluesapphire, and thank you Gopher, what you said was very wise :

"Sometimes people on one side of the question get a little upset with those on the other side. In the end though, we're all happy to be away from the influence of the Watchtower, and to each find our course in life, wherever it may take us."

Wish I knew how to do quotes properly *sigh*

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I don't want to edit my comments. It would take too much time to go back and read and guess which comments offended someone. I didn't mean to offend.

However, I want to state that when I was a newbie we had Kent Steinhaug, Norm, and my favorite hottie, JanH, all atheists and all more blunt and vocal and "offensive" if you will, than I could ever be.

I remember being hurt and offended by their boldness so many times. I didn't want to see what they were saying. I was too busy being hurt and offended. In reality, everything they said made cognitive sense. I just didn't want to have anyone take away my faith. I needed it at that time.

But I would never have dreamed to come on here and cry like a baby and tell them to stop voicing their opinion. It would have been rude of me and I wouldn't even have dared had I thought of it.

I must say I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. But I'm also sorry you are so easily offended. Maybe you might consider growing up. We all have to. We've all been newbies at one time or another. It's a tough world. But the more you grow, the better life becomes. I sincerely hope you take this the right way. If a topic offends you, you have the choice not to participate available to you. Or you can argue your point. Aren't Christians supposed to be able to argue their point anyway?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hi Avishai, you asked for takers.

I found this article which dismantles the supposed Mithras/Christ relationship:

http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/mithra.html

Here is another one:

http://christopherbutler.wordpress.com/2006/10/07/jesus-is-not-a-mithras-redux/

Cheers
    Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Let us proclaim the mystery of faith:
    Dying you destroyed our death.
    Rising you restored our life,
    Lord Jesus, come in Glory.

Cheers,

Burn.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Just a tool to enforce the idea that people are sinful and need to be saved. In order to be saved, you must obey men who say how to obey god by following and reading a book written by men. The men who wrote the Bible say God exists. How do we know God exists? The Bible says so. Who wrote the Bible? God did. How do you know? Because Paul, a man, said so.

• sandy
    sandy

Hi Blue! How are you?

I've thought about this many times even as a young dub. I always wondered why Jehovah God himself didn't come to earth and sacrifice himself. Why did he send his son to be tortured and killed? He could have left Jesus in charge while he came down to earth to do the whole sacrificial death thing. Really he wouldn't have needed to leave anyone in charge b/c it seems like he doesn't do much for us down here anyways. LOL Am I gonna go to hell for that last comment? Seriously If I were God I'd have done it myself not put my child through it.

For those who may be feeling pity for me I do believe in God or higher power but the bible makes no sense to me anymore. I don't think that is the place to find God.

• Chap
    Chap

Hi,

I've been meaning to write down what I believe and why for my own personal reference for a while but haven't gotten around to it. bluesapphire's question gives me motivation to finally do it so thanks for asking. I find it tedious to write and it will take a bit to put my thoughts down in a way so others can understand them easily. So if you are interested, check back in a couple of days. I have never been a part of the JW organization and it saddens me to read on this site what many of you have gone through. I hope to be able to let you see through my eyes.

Chap

• Chap
    Chap

I've been thinking about this the last few days and I think that no matter what I write, it will bring up more questions. Since most of you have a grasp of what the Bible says, I will try to offer an explanation as simple as I can make it without Biblical references. I think most of you will be able to figure out where the references are.

We were created in God's image. We know that a good image can be nothing more and nothing less than a slave to its source. God is good. God created us to reflect himself. When God said, “it was very good”, he meant simply that his creation was in agreement with himself. God rules through the medium of his word.

When Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil by the word of the serpent, mankind no longer reflected God's image, died, and became the slaves of Satan. Did Jesus deny Satan's authority to give to him the kingdoms of the world? Mankind under the authority of God would not have known evil because nothing would have been in disagreement with God. I believe that if no one disobeyed the words of God, the least of the people in the world that reflected God's image would have been better off than the so called greatest in this world.

If no one had perfectly reflected the image of God, there would had been no escape of the sentence of God. Jesus as a man perfectly reflected the image of God by doing all that God the Father commanded him. It was God the Father's purpose for Jesus to be the sacrifice for those who desire to be reconciled to God. This sacrifice could not have been made by a person that did not perfectly reflect God's image because the debt owed for only himself is too great to be paid.

This is a simple explanation and I could go more in depth if anyone is interested.

Chap

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit