What's the big deal with Jesus' "sacrifice"?

by bluesapphire 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BlakeSeeley
    BlakeSeeley

Gosh, this place is not a JW discussion board, it’s more of a SMASH RELIGIOUS BELIEF board.

The JWs were right about one thing…Look at all the antireligious smackdown on all these threads…JWs said those who would leave their organization would be negative and lacking peace, and viola! I have been here one day looking to see if me, an exJW can find some support and peace outside the Watchtower.

You folks need to change the name of this place. I thought it was a JW discussion board, mainly for those who left the Watchtower.

And if being atheist makes me post like you guys, tearing down religious beliefs like the Trinity or belief in Jesus or the Bible, or whatever…and I am sure none of you would like it if someone said the same things about your stand as atheists…I don’t want to be a part of this anymore.

I’ve been attacked and had my posts read incorrectly, and challenged on every other word…you guys are still Witnesses…you act like they do regarding other people’s beliefs…you just have different philosophies to fill in the gap.

I’m not recommending this board to any exJWs.

I have nothing against atheists or Christians…or even JWs for that matter, even though I believe their religion to be wrong…in fact my atheist and Christian and other friends are a lot more kind and respectful of others than I’ve seen here.

Somebody let me know how to disconnect myself from this place…I want to remove my account, but don’t know how. Send the directions to [email protected] . Yeah, I'm sure I'll get a lot of hateful emails along with it...but at least it will prove my point...Sheesh!

Blake S. Hunter

Corpus Christi, TX

• proplog2
    proplog2

Jesus' message was one of anti-selfishness - Love. The best teacher is someone who is an example of his teaching. How do you set the example in showing love? You show yourself willing to die.

He allowed himself to get into a situation where he could stand before a representative of the greatest empire on earth at that time.

John 18:33-38 (NIV)

33Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"

34"Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?"

35"Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?"

36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

37"You are a king, then!" said Pilate.
    Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

38"What is truth?" Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said, "I find no basis for a charge against him.

Jesus showed that he was not afraid of the Romans. He was not afraid of the Jews. He took his stand against evil earthly governments. His kingdom is not of this world. His kingdom is extraterrestial.

How pathetic that JW's are the only ones of those who claim to follow Jesus that declare loyalty to the Kingdom of the Sky. JW's would rather be killed or imprisoned than to lift up a sword against another human.

Jesus' willingness to die for the kingdom of the heavens was a major paradigm shift. Only JW's really get it. They are united in their stand for the kingdom.

All the ransom, sacrifice, and other temple metaphors was mainly to engage the attention of the Jews. The real "truth" was his willingness to die for the kingdom.

• marmot
    marmot

In reply to Blake Seeley, it's not so much smashing other's beliefs (I respect everyone's decisions, even my parents to stay in the Organization) and I'm an atheist myself. The negativity you see happening is a reaction to other religious-minded posters trying to convince others that their beliefs are the truth, ironically.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

You folks need to change the name of this place. I thought it was a JW discussion board, mainly for those who left the Watchtower.

And if being atheist makes me post like you guys, tearing down religious beliefs like the Trinity or belief in Jesus or the Bible, or whatever…and I am sure none of you would like it if someone said the same things about your stand as atheists…I don’t want to be a part of this anymore.

I’ve been attacked and had my posts read incorrectly, and challenged on every other word…you guys are still Witnesses…you act like they do regarding other people’s beliefs…you just have different philosophies to fill in the gap.

I’m not recommending this board to any exJWs.

As you say, this is a discussion board. People post their thoughts, and other people reply. Since people often need to make sense of their new understanding of life and everything after leaving the JWs, it's natural that they will ask questions here to see if others have had the same questions, and if they have an answer or have come to the same conclusions.

Are atheists here "tearing down religious beliefs"? If so, it's only because they are able to. That sounds harsh perhaps, but what I mean is - if an atheist asserts that some religious teaching is incorrect or doesn't make sense, I would think it would be the "job" of those who believe in it to defend that position (because they are the ones postulating the belief). And indeed - sometimes the atheist or agnostic have a lack of understanding of the issue, or have misunderstood something, and so a believer is able to correct it. Oftentimes that doesn't happen though, and believers feel they are attacked simply because someone questions certain things. I guess the problem is that 'faith' as such is often not a valid end argument to an atheist, because it's so intangible, and can be applied to anything as a last resort out of an argument. For instance, if I say I believe the theory of evolution is correct, and you ask me for proof, and I would answer "I have faith in it - it all comes down to faith - I can't explain it." I highly doubt you would be content with that reply. If anything, it would not be enough to make you believe in evolution.

However - I acknowledge that atheists and agnostics here - me included - may come across as harsh, rude, angry, and attacking. Perhaps we should be more careful. However - part of the reason our posts are viewed that way, is the elevated, respected and protected status faith has in society. Atheists have no qualms about asking tough questions about God since they don't believe he exists, but to one who does believe in God, it may feel like - or even worse than - the atheist had verbally attacked their mother or father. "*gasp* He said something bad about God!!" or "*gasp* He said something bad about the Bible!". Yes - one of the first things I did as part of getting out of the JWs, was to ask questions "out of the box" - to dare to question the veracity of the Bible, God and everything else. I think anyone's faith should be able to stand the test of critical thinking and open and honest research. My faith didn't. The "problem" with that was that the Bible and the biblical God was part of that faith.

Is it wrong to ask honest questions about God and the Bible and want answers? Children, who have yet to understand how deep the faith of their parents or other adults go, may ask innocent (to them) questions about God. But what if the question is "inappropriate", for the very reason that the child is so open to new ideas and lack the automatic reverence of faith that grown-ups have? Should we smack the child, or think about the question and research for an answer?

Coming here after I had decided to leave the JWs though, I should expect others to have reached different conclusions than I had, and indeed they have (but to be honest, when I first started posting here I thought most ex-JWs would be atheist or agnostic because of their post-JW research). If I then ask questions about the Bible, or the biblical God, or things of that nature, it's not in an attempt to trample on other people's beliefs, but to see if they can answer it in a rational way - questions that I may have previously tried to find answers to for myself.

But I'll admit that asking critical questions about faith related things may automatically be seen as attacks, and I'll see if I can be more careful from now on. I'll also admit that sometimes we atheists and agnostics forget just how deep the feelings go for a believer, and we may post quip and flippant remarks to each other, without really thinking that it hurts a believer reading it. However - I wish the person who believes in it would then examine the thoughts behind the flippant remarks, and reassure him/herself of what they believe, or even better, explain why the remark is incorrect. Anyone should be prepared to defend their beliefs (1 Peter 3:15).

But again - perhaps I need to "calm down" a little; live and let live. I'll try. I'm not done with my own 'research' or 'search' yet; who knows where I'll be in a few years. I won't be dogmatic either way. But I will continue to question. Perhaps I should be satisfied with finding answers for myself, and let others find their own answers. But that kinda cuts me off from the community in a way, and the joy of finding out something new and sharing it with others. Perhaps we should have a "non-believer's" ex-JW site. But then we'd be living in our separate "bubbles", and I believe one can't really learn anything in such a bubble.

[edited] I should add that I enjoyed your reply to my "tower of Babel" thread, and that I wish you would stay. [/edited]

• the_end_of_eternity
    the_end_of_eternity

I am just starting to realize that I really do not get it indeed.....

what is so special on the sarcrifice,. because:

• which person would not give his life to save a few others.
    • So even more which person would not give his life to safe the whole world.
    • So even more which person would not go into coma for three days to save the whole world.

never got what the big deal is . . .

end of eternity

• BlakeSeeley
    BlakeSeeley

I appreciate the comments, and perhaps it is because I haven’t been exposed to anything like this since I left the Witnesses in 1998. It could be overreaction.

I have friends who are gay, pagan, Protestant, atheist, agnostic, Catholic, straight, bi, Republican…etc., and while we talk about what’s important to us and our views it’s nothing like this. I haven’t had any exJW friends and I guess I just expected you guys to fit my personal views of what you would be like.

While I honestly haven’t experienced anything like this since I was among JWs in a Kingdom Hall, maybe it’s because at least we all learned one thing from being a JW, and that is to be upfront with our discussion of beliefs…and that IS healthy now that I think about it.

But it has been an incredible shock that I just didn’t expect. Upon leaving the Witnesses I immediately got counseling, reunited with family and friends (I was the only JW in my family), eased into a life with a support and religious system, and haven’t looked back or even felt a need to.

I guess I was naïve in thinking others were just the same. But maybe it's the equivalent to being a baby and getting my butt wiped for me as I crapped out all the bad JW stuff out of me, and perhaps others are at a different place with far different issues than me.

I belong to other boards…some international ones…and there is nothing like the feeling I got from being here. No offense, but it was like falling into barracuda-infested waters on this board. It was the attitudes that people were anti-this and anti-that in the same spirit I remembered from the Kingdom Hall …I was so disturbed that it took hours to finally calm down and go to sleep. This isn’t like the real world at all, and it’s very slanted on this board with a strong anti-religious tone (and you probably are too close to what’s happening to see it)…and hey, it’s not my board, it can be that or whatever, but it’s not advertised that that’s what it is.

But I’ve seen wise and kind responses from my own "flying off the handle," and that takes maturity that is still rare anywhere I go. Thank you. So I am going to take some time away and think about it. Maybe I shouldn’t be here. And if not, at least I won’t let my preconceived expectations lead to passing any judgment on you guys. But if I can readjust my attitude and can go for a swim with you folks…hey what doesn’t kill us only makes us stronger.

• BlakeSeeley
    BlakeSeeley

Oh, and by the way, to give my “two-cent” answer to the TOPIC …

First are you asking because you want to know? Or have you already made up your mind and just want to announce to everyone else that you find it “silly,” not really interested in possibly learning something that, if believed, would radically change your life (if a person wants to be proven it, that's what it will do whether they accept it or deny it)? There isn’t a reason to give an answer to someone who just wants to debate. Debating declares a winner based on who gives the “best” answer, or who is the most talented speaker/writer.

To give a precise answer requires an apology, an ancient form of reasoning that comes to a conclusion based on the examination of evidence.

In debate people try to convince others of their belief or viewpoint.

In apology, the apologist attempts to show others that the reason for the Christian belief is sound. It is a defense of the reasonableness of a doctrine, but as a science it doesn’t attempt to convince or change the belief of the listener or audience. That action is called an “appeal.”

To attempt to answer with an apology: The whole thing is about declaring one’s belief in God as life giver via a ritualistic act.

If you believe in God the way the Jews, Muslims, and Christians do (not saying you should), then you acknowledge God as the source of life. Sacrifice is the ritual where one makes a public declaration to this belief and/or shows God that they believe this…. as a person who believes in his country may show this by sacrificing his time and life as a civilian to serve far from friends and family, even put his life on the line to demonstrate and defend his belief.

Because the JWs don’t believe in the Incarnation (the doctrine that one of the persons of the Trinity became a human being), the idea of Jesus giving his life on behalf of mankind does sound “silly,” as you put it. If you add the “missing ingredient” of the Trinity to the picture, then you will see what the majority of Christians are all worked up about, namely (won’t go into the Trinity here…good reason for other thread, but this is just to show how Witness view clouds the meaning of Christ’s sacrifice):

1. God wants to share his actual life, his divinity with human beings, not just keep them from dying. The Mosaic Law shows that people have to be practically God to live up to it and get life from its precepts, so God becomes human…God becomes like us so we don’t have to try to be like God through the Mosaic Law.

2. Since ritual sacrifice is an act of worship of humans to show their belief that God gives life, God Incarnate gives up his life to act in the opposite way of Adam. Adam committed not an act of sacrifice but an act of thievery with disregard to God being the source of life…in Christian theology this made death the lot Adam passed on to his descendants. Jesus sacrifice IS an act of sacrifice…and if the opposite act brought death, the reasoning is that the act of sacrifice brings life.

3. Sacrifice is antithetical in regards to life, so God uses a series of antithetical symbols and acts to show that he is the origin of life by producing life from symbols of “nothingness”: a woman gives birth to a child without being impregnated by a man, her poor son is actually the richest person in the universe, the Savior of the World is a laughingstock and is excommunicated by his own religion and executed as a criminal, the Tree of Life spoken about in Genesis turns out to be dead wood upon which this “Savior” is hung, this God of life dies, and Jesus is buried in a tomb carved out of the literal “stone the builders rejected," the rock believed unfit to construct the new temple of Herod and tossed aside (you can actually see it if you take the tour in Jerusalem). To prove God can do anything, even bring life from death or nothing (as well as to see if people will trust him by at least attempting to exercise faith in these things), God makes this life possible by destroying his own.

This is how their reasoning works. I am sure it leaves a lot of new questions (like Trinity, etc.) at bay…the point is that the whole sacrifice thing was one of the factors that lead to the Church’s belief in the divinity of Jesus, and this understanding lead to the sacrifice doctrine to make more sense.

Whether someone believes in it takes more than an explanation like this because belief requires more data with harder facts and their testing in order to go “out on a limb” and accept it. But this allows you to see the basic line of reasoning.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Have you already made up YOUR mind? Im open minded. I know I dont know everything about everything. Thats why I asked the question. Because the whole thing is lacking in adequate evidence, substance, just plain fathomable reason... Maybe you are the one who is afraid to accept the fact that without faith, this teaching could never make sense to have come from a "loving father".

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Your comments may be offensive to some posters and lurkers, bluesapphire.

Would you please consider modifying them?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

The JWs were right about one thing…Look at all the antireligious smackdown on all these threads…JWs said those who would leave their organization would be negative and lacking peace, and viola! I have been here one day looking to see if me, an exJW can find some support and peace outside the Watchtower.

That's funny! I felt the same way when I was in the organization! No peace! Do more! Have your babies in field service! Crawl to the kingdom hall! I don't care what they say anymore! It's all a mind game to keep you under their control.

xjw.jpg picture by Milkshakesrtasti I like being out!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit