Being prejudiced

by purplesofa 24 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Growing up, my mother was very prejudiced. Mostly against black people. She did not like them, she thought she was better than them, it was horrible to me as a child.

I used to think what if I was who I am, everything the same, but my skin was black? I had no choice on the matter of my skin color. And yet people would never know me cuz they could not look past my being black. I am impressed I came to those conclusions at such a young age!

Now, of course she did not like gay people either. But this was different for me, I thought gay people chose to be gay, so they were bad. It was not like black people that had no choice ........gay people chose to be gay.

It was not until I got to be an adult, away from my Mom's thinking, AND religions teachings, that I felt the same way about people being gay as I did about people being black.

What if I were gay and no one got to know me cuz all they saw was a gay person?

Funny, when me and my sis watched the Miss America contests,,,,,,,,,we always picked who we wanted to be. I always wanted to be the prettiest IF I could keep who I was inside!!!!

There are just things people have no control over changing.

People choose to be mean, callous, unmerciful, unforgiving. We don't choose our skin color, sexual preference, etc etc etc.

Lets not miss out on gems in life, whatever package they come in.

purps

• prophecor
    prophecor

Would be soooo nice to see each other as we all really are inside.

Humans first, last and always

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I know there has to be some lurkers out there that read and know the love we are talking about.

Would be soooo nice to see each other as we all really are inside.

They want to give and recieve it........it feels good, just wanted you to know.

purps

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

totally agree, prejudices are learned behaviors whether we learn them from mom and dad, peers, or overly pious people in kingdom halls, or whatever religion we came from. And believe me prejudice is alive and well even in the halls, its better hidden, and very covert, but its there nontheless.

I have found gay people, men and women, to be upright in alot of things, dress, behavior, education, the way they keep their property and how they treat people. I don't understand the blind hatred some people have for them without even knowing them and the kind of people they are inside.

Too true!

I know the jury is still out on wether people choose to be gay or not, I have no idea, but it does not matter, they are still just people and they need what we all need. Love and acceptance. I know people who hate those who shave their heads, get tatoos, smoke, are overweight, are underweight. It is all such crap. Why is it that so many look at and focus on what our differences are and not what our similarities are?

I remember a line from the pote Kalil Gibran - "Was the love of the mother of Judas any less for her son than that of Mary's love of Jesus?" I take this to mean we are all the same, we all want the best for our families, and we would all want world peace etc. Again why can't people work on those goals instaed of trying to make everyone else be just like us?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Hear, hear purplesofa!

My sister just came out as a lesbian. Although she was married for 3 yrs, it really wasn't a shock. In fact I had to tell her I knew because she was scared of my reaction. She said the same thing you are saying. She is still the same person, she is kind and giving. She cared for her husband alone during his last stages of cancer. She's a hard worker. She hurts, get happy, laughs and cries the same as always. She just happens to have a girlfriend. Only one aspect of her life is different and she will be judged by people for just that one area. But this isn't new to her, her husband was black, she is as white as snow. He was also our late father's age, about 25 yrs older than her.

I respect that she can be true to herself no matter what people say.

momz

• James Free
    James Free
    prejudices are learned behaviors

I totally agree. Thankfully they can be unlearned too.

• Magick
    Magick

i don't know anyone black. all i know is that i really wanted to marry a black man.

my mother has been baptized for over 60 years. she shouldn't have been a mother.

there were only a few words of advice that i can remember her giving.

one was never marry a man with big feet.

the other was never marry a black man.

i spent my entire teenage years looking down a brother's shoes.

• snowbird
    snowbird

the other was never marry a black man.

How ironic! My mother's admonition was to never bring a White boy to her house or she would wring our necks!

I'd seen her wring a chicken's neck and it wasn't pretty, so I gave heed to her words.

Sylvia

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Both my parents are racist, my dad moreso than my mom. In my late teens I was friendly with a sister my age that was black. She was a nice person and we had the same twisted sense of humor. I never really thought of her as a romantic interest though so I was a bit confused when my mother launched into one of her "talks".

Out of the blue she asks me if I would ever consider marrying someone that wasn't [pause] the same skin color as me. Well that hit me from left field, I said, why would I care what color they were? She back peddled and wanted me to know that she would be okay with it. At this point I'm really confused, I have no idea why she's telling me this. Sometimes my brothers would do something and we'd all get the same talk so I was trying to figure out if one of my brothers was getting married.

Then she looks rather wistfully and says she would be upset that the grandchildren wouldn't look like the family, but she would love them regardless. My jaw hit the floor. I didn't put two and two together until the next meeting when met my friend again.

My dad on the other hand is just an outright racist. He doesn't apologize for it or try to hide it. I worked with him in construction for a year and I am very, very surprised he wasn't beaten up for some of the comments he makes right to people's faces.

About the only good think I can say about it is that it provided me an excellent example of how not to be when I got older.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit