Being prejudiced

by purplesofa 24 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

Thank goodnes on the parenting angle that's one bullet i dodged. My mom always wanted me to marry a black girl, she wanted biracial grandkids as she thinks biracial folks are beautiful. I guess there's still time....I dunno what life would be like if I only liked blondes w/ blue eyes, or tall women, or short women or skinny women. Being that limited would'nt be any fun....

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

when i was a kid..1st or 2nd grade..the black kids used to pick on me alot...so I hated them....but when the white kids started...i didnt know what to think..so i started hating everyone and withdrawing from social circles...damn...thats when it really started...

now i am not prejudice against race.. i am prejudice against stupidity..of which no race has a lock.

snowbird:

Blacks and Whites automatically come to mind.

now if you are in south florida...there is a lot of racial tension between Latino races....cubans, haitans, mexicans, dominicans, etc...light skinned latino, black skin latino...its ridiculous,,,,and its part of the reason my nonJW (white) step dad is moving to south alabama...LOL..he is not prejudice..not much i dont think,,,,

Snakes ()

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was the only white person working in a dept. This one person did not like me. It caused problems. As long as I was what she percieved as "subserviant" to her, all was ok. When I got to know my job and did not need her is when the problems started.

Anyway, I couldnt figure out the animosity. I talked to my co-worker, and she said she does not like you because you are white, plain and simple. She does not want a white person working in that department. She has run off every white person that is hired there.

This was so totally foreign to me.

But, honestly, I had to accept it. I think she was coming around at the same time I quit. She saw me as a hard worker, I had the same struggles as her, my life was not handed to me on a silver platter. In reality, I probably had things alot rougher than she ever imagined.

Maybe given time together we could have worked on prejudiced thinking.

Thats why I repeat over and over how important it is to get to know people as individuals. Which is more of a challenge when the other person is not.

As far as America being the melting pot of the world, although i have not been to Europe, but to me, at least London, there seems to be a great diversity and acceptance there. America seems still very primitive. But right now I may only be in my small little conservative, bible belt community and not see full on America as it really is.

Our issues here are black/white issues. I mean Little Rock was the center of de-segregation in the schools. We have cites they call "White Flight" cities, and there are mostly all white people there. Blacks are not accepted there, it's unspoken, but it roars from the inhabitants.

The KKK demonstrates on the courtroom steps every year there.

Anyway,

purps

edited to add: Possibly the difference in the Races is that some blacks feel the history of being forced to be here and other races wanted to be here.

• Casper
    Casper

UGH.... I despise racism...!! I can remember being about 6 years old and hearing my
    Grandmother go on and on about Black people. I knew what she was talking about at
    even that young age, having been born in Chicago...there were some black people in
    my world.

She sickened me... I know, I know I was very young...but it just touched a major nerve
    in me that never went away... She even named her dog the -N- word.

In my life I have and have had some very good friends of several different racial groups...
    I really don't see the problem. People are people to me.

The lack of racism in the JW's was one of the things that drew me to it...but alas...that
    turned out to be a joke also.

Cas

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Cas

The lack of racism in the JW's was one of the things that drew me to it...but alas...that
    turned out to be a joke also.

true

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit