In Need of Advice

by Lo-ru-hamah 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

I have a friend that has just been diagnosed with stage four uterine cancer. I would love to get her a gift but I am unsure what I could do, send or say that would be helpful. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Sheri

• eclipse
    eclipse

Best gift you can give her is be there for her.

If you had cancer, what you like from your friends?

• erynw
    erynw

The best thing you can give her right now is an ear and a shoulder. Material things are not important. Let her know it's ok for her to just cry, scream, or be quiet. She is not necessarily looking for advice or an answer to what she's verbalizing.

Just be there. My heart goes out to your friend and to you.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember one older lady friend who was dying but still wakeful who loved to play cards. We played cribbage into the wee hours of the night. She could not sleep and did not want to die alone.

Does she love chocolate and can still enjoy it.

Some pretty bed throw or slippers.

But your time and love is best.

Blondie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Depending on the personal taste of the patient....maybe a very pretty and lacy/frilly bedjacket or some pearl-toned nailpolish would brighten her days spent in bed.

hugs,

Annie

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Quality personal time is good. Maybe some nice soothing aromatherapy essential oils, or even a massage, but clear that with her Dr. first. Does she have family she hasn't seen in a long time? Help her travel to see them, briefly. A day trip to a park or nearby natural place of beauty, or an art museum, or what ever her interest would be.

• golf2
    golf2

Companionship and show your thoughtfulness. My wife got very exhausted when to many people stopped in and wanted to talk to her. On one occasion she requested that everyone leave the room except me. I did very little talking while she was on her death-bed.

Thoughtfulness.

Golf

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

My grandma loved crossword puzzles. So when the cancer started eating her bones and she was bedridden, we would sit together and do puzzles. But mostly she enjoyed her visitors. Toward the end we played alot of Big Band 40's music for her.

My brother-in-law really enjoyed old black and white movies, so the TV was always on.

Having seen first hand though, the best thing they got were visitors. Even if they fell asleep they would want to be awakened to see them. So I would say to visit her and love her. Put lotion on her hands and feet and give her a mini massage. Or maybe take her a pretty flower. But just be there for her. It's gonna get rough.

momz

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Your time and compassion is all she probably wants. Just be there for her

nj

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

Thank you all for your kind advice. It is nice to know how to help.

Sheri

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit