When Your Parent Died

by freyd 32 Replies latest jw friends

• freyd
    freyd

Is there a part of you that died with them?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Is there a part of you that died with them?

For me ... "yes".... but for the most part, it was only temporary. The grieving took a full year until I felt like moving on with life... I had to start looking forward, but the overwhelming sadness was replaced by wonderful memories and a profound gratefulness in having great parents. Have you recently had one of your parents pass?

• zanex
    zanex

YES...a BIG part dies with them. I still dont have the "does it come back" part answered....

-Z-

• Mary
    Mary

Both my parents are still alive, but I'm trying to reconcile myself to the reality that one day, not too far from now, they won't be. And I know when that happens, I'm going to become enraged at the religion all over again. They promised us we'd never have to worry about watching our parents grow old and die and I believed that for many years.

• avishai
    avishai

Oh, heck yeah!!

My Dad died of cancer when I was 13. I still mourn the loss 24 yrs. later, it's REALLY hard!

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Yes. When my father died I felt like an orphan, both my parents were gone. It's like a big part of you is missing, never to return.

BB

• llbh
    llbh

For me no, but life changed along with my outlook. I lost both parents within 10 months if each other, I lost my brother 4 years before that.

My children do not fully understand when I hug them really tight. I go to their (my mum, dad and brother are in the same graveyard) grave about twice a year, just to spend time in my thoughts enjoy the memories and vow to enjoy life more.

For me nothing within me died, I just want to enjoy life.

regarda llbh

• restrangled
    restrangled

I watched my father die at age 64. There are no words to describe the 3 months previous to his death taking care of him.

He was an elder in younger years and turned "apostate" in later years....god, how I hate that stupid description of someone. There was no funeral,......my parents had retired 2 years earlier to another state so no one knew him 2000 miles away.

His friends back in the city he use to be in held a small vigil....but none of it makes any sense.

How do you write about a man's 64 years in a few sentences, .....it isn't possible. His influence on my life?...Its still sinking in 7 years after his death.

I never cried when he died, I was relieved for him.....I was relieved for me......I don't know how to put it into words, but I have cried many times since his death.

r.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    I never cried when he died, I was relieved for him.....I was relieved for me......I don't know how to put it into words, but I have cried many times since his death.

It's an experience you cannot put to words, r. I know exactly what you mean.

BB

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Yes. There are still circumstances around his that I am unable to talk about to this day, almost 13 yrs later. I actually find myself calling people when I have big news, ie. a new baby, and will sit there and think I know I am forgetting someone. But recently I have felt his presence around me, like he is literally sitting next to me. So I speak out loud and hope he hears me.

momzcrazy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit