JW's Raised In - Did you get bullied during you Grade School Years?

by BBOARD 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I rarely admitted I was a JW. I saluted the flag, etc. My parents did not tell the teacher, thank God. My family usually had a present or two around Xmas, so I had something new to show after Xmas bread. I was bullied in the 8th grade...but it wasn't because I was a JW. I was always very small for my age.

• DiscoSandy
    DiscoSandy

YES in grade school and on into high school. Reasons for being bullied were probably 50% being a J.W. and 50% being a geek (overweight with glasses and really bad haircuts!) After I was disfellowshipped, I started going to college and was surprised that NOBODY bullied me in that environment, and I was able to make LOTS of friends. It was like a huge burden was lifted off me and I could just be myself. I really felt like I was reborn in those years.

• wizardca
    wizardca

Loosie - Witness school? didnt know they had those....?

Not sure I was ever bullied, but I was teased b/c of glasses, no extra-curricular sports (it's bad association after all) and overweight. There was one time in junior high some kid tried to (never really sure why) and a friend of mine beat him up for going after me. Kinda entertaining. Mom always met with the teacher, School Brochure in hand. She was active at the elementary school and of course I was a good lil j-dub.

• Mary
    Mary

Yep, I was bullied for being a Witness. That's why I hated school from Grade 1 to Grade 12.

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

Yes I was, both by professors and fellow students, but by 7th grade I started to conceal as much as possible that I was a Witness. It definitely improved my relationship with others in school, although there were embarassing moments in which, while in service, I stumbled with guys who did not know I was a Witness. Although they would not make fun of me, I always felt kind of ashamed.

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

I never really got picked on in elementary school, thank goodness. In High school my witness friend and I got picked on a bit. We were both girls at a Tech school in typically boy shops. We would play football with some of the boys at lunch time. The girls would always say that we only played with the boys because that was the only way we could be touched by boys because we were witnesses and couldn't have boyfriends. Oh yeah, and they also called us lesbians. Lol. Like witness girls could even be lesbians! ha ha

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

Yes.. majorally in elemetary school.. and the worst part was not standing up to sing our national anthem.. and having to sit out of class for it.. standing in the hall while the rest of the class sang Oh Canada sucked majorally! Highschool was not so bad.. I was just the nice girl that was just there. After all that.. now I am a major patriot.. I value my votes.. attending cermonies such as Remberance Day..ect! I value so much more now than so many others do to attend such cermonies.. and feel emotionally attached to them.

LTF

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome. I loved your comments.

I didn't get bullied as I was fairly quiet and normal. There were a few JWs at school that were bullied, but they were mostly embarrassingly uncool.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

It's interesting that this plays right into the hands of the Org. when it comes to secondary education. The fear that you will ostracized by your classmates squelches any thoughts of furthering your education after high school. Until now, I had not realized that this happened to me, that I felt this way at 18.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Welcome....what great comments. Me? Not too badly. Did have to kick butt a couple of times in Jr High but I didn't start it. I was just excluded. I am very funny which deflected a lot of crap. People don't think of more ways to be mean or mad when you have them laughing. Bullies and Child Molesters are giant red flags for me. I think I could actually kill a child molester and not loose any sleep. Very sad the org. protects them. Elders make great bullies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit