JW's Raised In - Did you get bullied during you Grade School Years?

by BBOARD 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• BBOARD
    BBOARD

I sure did for a while. Due to the way I was raised a JW I constantly felt guilt for trying to act like the other guys and it made me stand out even worse. To this day, due to this, I nowdays become somewhat physically ill whenever I hear a brother give a talk where he says (many here have heard it in different forms) "if Jehovah was looking at you youths in the congregation during school could he tell the difference between you and a worldy person." Myself and most of the other JW guys during middle school and high school did not have the confidence or the "rough and ready to fight" type of body language so we tended to get picked on. I finally decided to "pretend" and send the message to the other guys in the locker room that I knew what I was doing my working out. By the end of my Senior Year I had pretty well defined muscles and got picked on a lot less ... but no one knew that I still didnt know how to defend myself.

To this day I cant throw a single punch ... but now am considering taking up some martial arts in secret so I can at least protect myself should a unfortunate situation arise.

and ... This week in my JW Land ... (I still attend most meetings only because all of my family and extended family are JW's - though I no longer believe any of it)

Questioning Motives (May or may not be harmless…)
    A bethel speaker is coming to my hall this Sunday - November 11, 2007 to give his “timely bible based talk” Which I think if I remember correctly is titled “How to avoid traps from the Devil.” Most in the hall are so overjoyed at the though of the upcoming spiritual food from a bethelite - but I am thinking kinda … why now?

Having a Dissonance Moment
    Just last week my mom was picking up my aunt from our Kingdom Hall (BTW it’s been 20 years – as old as I am – and she still has no car due to excessive pioneering and no college). Through the ride we pass by that mega church near Crenshaw. When “Bernice”, known by us and around the hall for being the balance of mean yet overly zealous, passed by it she said loudly “See if Christendom here would just get on the ball (which really means to start serving the WTBTS) and stop serving Satan we would have more of these huge buildings for ourselves to worship Jehovah in convenience since Woodland Hills got torn down and sold … but nooo.” I swear it took everything I had in me to not scream back “BUT WHY SHOULD THEY IF THEY DON’T WANT TO AND YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DON’T HAVE TO - AND GUESS WHAT THEY WOULD BE RIGHT NOT TO!” I restrained myself because I knew if I said anything remotely like this it would be “Game Over” between me and my family. In truth, trying to leave this org has taught me to be stronger instead of weaker. The literature always taught me that leaving the org will cause you to enter into “Satan’s system which will break you down.”

Thinking about WTS Doctrine
    The Society has a lengthy history of other doctrinal mistakes and medical blunders such as not allowing vaccinations and considering organ transplants in the not so distant past. These mandates were wrong when they first came off the presses and they were wrong many years later when finally reversed. To attribute these flip-flops to "the light getting brighter" is just not just irresponsible but dumb. If God was real – Jehovah would make sure to never change his mind like this. He is a "God of truth"... "Who cannot lie". Imperfect men lead of blindness in positions of oversight have made these doctrinal decisions, which have caused lives of well meaning people to be cut short without any justifiable reasons. There were no apologies made either. This poor historical record of mistakes only makes the current blood transfusion policy even more suspect. Blind trust in an organization that has a track record of mistakes and errors like this is both foolish and dangerous. Especially when we must force these policies on younger, inexperienced, helpless ones. To be forced into "practice sessions" with the little kids in my hall just so they can make a better stand simply does not sound right to me.

Just Noticed …The Irony!For the first time in five years I actually bothered to look at the name of the church of “Christendom” that was a block across from our KH and guess what … it was a Seventh Day Adventist! Maybe it was like a “sign” for me all along ... because as some know the JW's somewhat a breakoff from them.

Love Bombing New Potential Recruits AKA “The Desperate Vulture Syndrome”
    It is so sickening now to see how every Sunday when a new “interested person” comes to hear the talk the door greeter has to give out his canned “welcome and don’t stop coming”, the friends all rush over like zombies at the end to say “well, well, well, well, what didchathink?!”, and the occasionally interjected “this is the truth!” No wonder, and I am serious, there have been ABSOLUTELY NO new people come to our hall since 2005.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Welcome bborad to JWD!

No I didn't get bullied because even from kindergarten I never admitted that I was a JW. Even though the kids in school knew I was, I would always say "may parents are but I'm not". And I never acted like a JW so school was good for me and I had lots of friends. My parents never knew about my school friends because I knew I'd get the crap beat out of me for having non-JW friends. When I got older I would always get in trouble for not coming straight home or breaking curfew or not being where I said I was gonna be, damn I wish we had cell phones in the 70's would have saved me a lot of beatings.

Having those non-JW friendships was the best thing I did!

Sorry you got bullied

nj

• BrentR
    BrentR

I did all the way through elementary school and part of junior high school. If I had a nickle for every time I was called a commi for not saluting the flag. It's hard not to stick out like a turd in a punchbowl being JW kid in school. The fact my parents allowed that to happen for so long is mind boggling. There is no rational explaination for putting a child through that for so many years.

• R.F.
    R.F.

I never got bullied.

There were many that just couldn't grasp some of the views I was forced to have had, and that in turn led to me being constantly interrogated as to why I did or didn't do certain things. To top it off, my dad never really explained to me why on alot of things, like Christmas for example. I was just told to say it's against my religion. That in turn led to many children making fun, not of me, but of the religion. At the time, I took that as a direct insult of course, but that was expected since we were all taught that many wouldn't understand "true Christians".

R.F.

• loosie
    loosie

I got bullied all the time in grade school. The funny thing was I went to a witness school where all the kids were JW's, and they bullied me.

So much for loving your brother and sister.

• ninja
    ninja

for all the bullied.....i would be right there trading blows on your behalf....ninja

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

No, never was bullied for being a JW. Just got left out on a lot of things and kids looked at you like they felt sorry for you or that you were "wierd" for having so much that is against your religion that is just normal everyday stuff. It was hard to explain why we couldn't have sleep overs because they were worldly people. How does a child explain that??

I think missing out on so much in my childhood is one reason why my son is involved in so many extra curricular activities. I love to see him so happy and growing up "worldly"...

• flipper
    flipper

Good thread! Yeah, I kind of got picked on in junior high school as I was kinda short in heighth . But as I filled out and got taller, a little more muscle in high school they stopped messing with me ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• yknot
    yknot

OH YES

Between 2nd-12th grade there was constant problems from both peers and teachers. Every teacher had their lessons planned around some holiday or patriotic theme, so of course I ruined it. I learned how to argue separation of Church and State to the point that younger JWs didn't get much flack, just invoking my name brought a headache to the school officials.

That said, many JW kids followed the advice I was given by my 2nd grade teacher. Be a JW at home, just not at school.

Y

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yes, I did! It was awful. I would go home in bruises from being punched in the arms and kicked in the shins. I was pushed down in the gravel while running with a PE class and have an ugly scar on my knee. It ripped a big hole in my favorite pair of jeans. That was in 5th grade. A friend of mine said that all I have to do is celebrate X-mas and they would stop doing it. She was smart. That would have proven that I wasn't the odd one they thought I was. But I was odd. I couldn't eat the birthday cupcake. How stupid is that? I was targeted so many times with verbal and physical violence in 6 years of grade school that I was super super messed up.

Chenoa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit