Did you mind if a JW worked where you worked ?

by JH 25 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

If you had the choice, when you were an active good JW, would you have prefered to work with a JW in your work place or not to have any around ?

• prophecor
    prophecor

I would've felt a little self concious about working side by side with a witness. I didn't necessarilly live a double life, but I was not always your picture perfect JW. I would like to have had room to be myself.

• JH
    JH

I also felt that I needed space, and imagine not laughing at a funny worldly joke just because a brother is watching.....

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I was a director in an audit department and had a jw report to me. I never let her know my status. She was very smart and a hard worker. Her family came to the US from Cameroon. Evidently, she did not get the word on education because she was studying for the CPA. I believe she eventually passed all parts.

Last memorial, she gave me an invitation. I did not say anything other than thanking her.

• undercover
    undercover

There are several JWs where I work...all people that I was friends with when I was active.

When I first started my fade away from the KH and the religion, I started hanging out more and more with workmates. Rumors of "improper" behavior was making its way back to my JW co-workers. With the exception of one goody-goody JW who tried to give me a pep talk, the others seemed to turn a blind eye to my actions. It wasn't that they didn't want to get me in trouble, it was just another case of sticking their head in the sand so as to not have to take a position on anything.

Now that I've been inactive for some time, they tend to treat me as a person of the "world". They're pleasant enough, not rude or snotty, but there is a wall between us that wasn't there before.

Also since then, one of the other JWs has been DFd and we've become friendly again. I've been trying to let him know that I won't judge him based on a declaration from a church pulpit. And I've been trying to slowly show him that he is now in a better place having been released from the religious bonds. He's starting to see the religion for what it really was...a cult. It's fun to watch the reaction of the other JWs when they see us hanging out together.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

At one of my jobs I Do work with a JW . I was active when I started there, and she was a good friend ,and ex sister in law to me .

Everyone knows I am no longer an active witness and I have gone out with several people there for weekend activities . I also have openly brought birthday gifts ect . to work . She now doesn't speak to me ,which is noticed by others . Whenever I walk by she wrinkles her nose and acts offended . I just laugh and ignore her .

But it is stressful I just keep my feelings to myself . I took her kids on vacation with our kids and we helped her make a major move ,use to go to her house for dinner .

I don't really blame her I would act the same way if I was still a witness ,maybe.?

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

I in fact did have a jdub working where I worked, we talked alot but this particular jdub wasn't so died in the wool that they couldn't laugh at worldly jokes or even participate in eating some birthday cake when the occasion called for it. Did notice that i wasn't free to fully be me though and i'm sure they felt the same way. Ran into the dub at the DC and we both commented on how boring the talks were and how so obvious a lie was being promulgated by the Society in the Drama about timothy, and his supposed chance for higher education. But if i had my druthers, i would prefer working in an environment with no jdubs around.

Before I forget the dub mention to me one time "you know the society is always talking about how "worldy" people view us, and most of them haven't ever had even a smidgen of experience in talking or even seeing dubs in their neighborhoods." I made the comment that the dubs were legends and important only in their own minds and the dub laughed and heartily agreed.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If you had the choice, when you were an active good JW, would you have prefered to work with a JW in your work place or not to have any around ?

I never thought about that. When I was an active JW I was glad I had a job. 4 of the jobs I had as a young man were a result of witness connections. Thats kind of understandable because they were the only people I associated with for a time.

I have been out of the organization since 83. There is a fellow ,detention officer, where I work who others know as a JW. I deal and talk with him but never broach the religion subject. I smoke black and mild cigars from time to time and so does he. I dont talk like a sailor when dealing with the inmates but he does.

I have been out of the tower since 83 and I am in good standing. I get invited to family get togethers and they respect my position. I dont get invited to give public talks or go out in service, but they will take me out to dinner, celebrate my anniversaries and come watch my band play. So I dont want to rock the boat with the smoking issue.

• snowbird
    snowbird

An active JW does work in the same building as I. She's opinionated, combative, smug, and an all-around disagreeable person.

Everybody talks about her behind her back and makes fun of the JW's.

Go figure.

Sylvia

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I always wonder in my Medical law and ethics class if there are any jw's in there. The teacher is always bringing up ethic issues of blood transfussions about them lmfao

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit