Dating a Disfellowshipped Chick

by SonoftheTrinity 23 Replies latest social relationships

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

Hi everybody. I'm this Orthodox Christian dating a disfellowshipped JW chick. My priest says there's hope because she's been disfellowshipped and to give it 6 months. One minute says she wants to become a citizen, the next minute I tell her that if she does that as an American I would expect her to salute the flag and especially vote if she naturalizes, and then she talks about going back to her own country!!

When I first met her she said she was a Christian, and it turns out she was a JW.

Now she's going to start telling people she's an American and she is indifferent to politics. I'm in love with her but the patriot in me loathes her.

As long as I am a Christian the Trinity is my God, and as long as I am an American, the Constitution is my King. I'm vocal about these things, always have been. Can it work?

• Satanus
    Satanus

no

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Sounds like these are huge differences. Unless you can BOTH compromise I see no hope. Compromise is vital in marriage. If you do continue with her, I suggest you research the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Just to let you know, I was raised a Witness and have been married for 15yrs.

momzcrazy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Can it work?

No. The problem is this:

I would expect her to ....

You are taking over where the Watchtower left off. They told her what to do
    and how to think. Now you will do it for her. She got disfellowshipped and
    sounds like she's not going back. Eventually, she will tire of you telling her
    what to do and how to think, also.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

You need to find someone who agrees with you, not someone who will do what you say.

Last thing she needs coming out of a controlling cult is a controlling life partner; you'd both be miserable.

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

OK, I'm not that patriotic...just guilty because my sister served in Iraq and I didn't even though I'm the one who should have served since I speak Arabic, and because I'm an Orthodox Christian I have a double reason to be politically active in getting America out of the Middle East because all our dealings with the Israelis and the Oil Sheiks are why they hate us and they take it out on Christians and their ancient Churches. I'm voting for Ron Paul in the Primaries in the Hopes that the Warmongers have no one to vote for in the general election.

I'm hoping that I can educate her about Church history, but like most Protestants all she wants to do is talk about a Great Apostasy of which she knows nothing about and of which she is afraid to really study critically. I converted to the Oriental Orthodox Faith, having come to the conclusion that the great apostasy happened at Chalcedon, when European Christianity went the way of heresy and conquest and Afro-Asiatic Christianity went another. I believe even more strongly in the divinity of Christ than do Catholics or Protestants, which makes me especially hostile to the neo-Arian teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses. JWs don't believe in the Trinity and they don't salute the flag, so how are they different from the Jews or the Muslims? By the way I love to make some Kitfo (Ethiopian Style Steak Tartare) as well as Raw Kibbeh (Raw beef with Wheat Bulghur), and bring some to an Apostafest with her, even though she's a vegan.

There's about a snowballs chance in hell that she's going to marry me in an Orthodox Church, and a snowballs chance in hell that I'll set foot in a Kingdom Hall, but we are in love with each other.

She talks about Jehovah's Kingdom and I say we call him "Igziabiher" which is the Ethiopian form of Jehovah, not close enough for her. I have a lot of Rasta buddies and I love Reggae so I say "Jah" when I say grace with her kids.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you are for real (I promised Flipper I wouldn't point them out anymore)
    then you are full of hate and are very arrogant. You throw many things out
    there for us to argue with you about, and you state your opinions like they are the
    only right way to think. I will not address a single issue you have raised.

I did answer your initial question. No. I will add that it won't work out for you
    and anybody except a total doormatt. I met one yesterday, but she was married
    already. I am sure another will come by.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Son,

If you love her, I wouldn't refer to her as a 'chick'. She is a young woman. I don't think anyone has asked WHY she was DF'd. If it was for some sexual indescretion or some other infraction then she is probably still screwed up in her head about the "Truth" as JWs call it. If she was disfellowshipped because she decided it was a load of crap then you have a good chance of her coming around to a compatable frame of mind with you. Be patient.

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

Thanks for the advice,

She comes from a patriarchal culture and the fact that I respect her opinions to a greater degree than her other boyfriends is probably why we're still together. I have a love of argument...or should I say debate, that runs in the family. She comes from a communal culture where debate isn't as appreciated. I'm not meaning to be controlling but shouldn't a new citizen give at least the minimum, their vote, JW or not?

I was brought up to believe that the people that didn't vote were what was wrong with this country, especially if they were naturalized and didn't vote. Being nice and respecting the laws isn't enough, getting your hands dirty by voting and marching in protests for whatever you believe in is how you keep your country free. I know people who come from other countries often have an even more cynical view of politics.

I try to engage her about these things and she won't debate me! Why don't JWs debate, without debate, there would be no civilization!!!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

OnTheWayOut seems to have good instincts for trolls.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit