Did the Watchtower screw up your life ?

by JH 32 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

6 months ago 10.

Now 5.

They are responsible for all those feelings of being left out at school and not being normal which you desperately want to be when you are a child. They took away my desire for an education and a career. They took away the opportunity for 'experience' with the opposite sex. But most of all they've taken away my best friends of the last 36 years who I love dearly and you don't replace those friendships ever. You may find some more but these take time and I still want the old friends back. They've taken away my husband's mother and brother and his wife, a grandparent and uncle/aunty of our two little boys.

But, I know I have many things to be grateful for - the mind control hasn't totally worked on my mum and dad and they are still showing unconditional love to us all. I have a wonderful husband who helped me to 'see the light', two amazing sons who have their whole life ahead of them free of the restrictions of dogma and we have great new friends in our life.

I wouldn't trade freedom for anything.

One day it will be 0.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Having been "born" into it, I'd have to say a good 7 or 8, some days 10. I look at it like a loaf of bread. Someone put poppyseeds in the mix at birth. I now know I'm allergic to poppy seeds. How can you remove all the poppyseeds from a loaf of bread, and still have a loaf of bread?

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

YES and NO It did some emotional damage, which I am still dealing with, but it taught me some big lessons about being human. And, I appreciate things so much more than I did before I became a JW. Things like relaxing in front of the tube on a Thursday night watching my favorite show "LOST." or my Sunday mornings sitting out in the garden and having a nice breakfast with my hubby. I appreciate knowing people who don't judge me on how I dress, or what I read or what movies I like to watch--if fact it's not even an issue. I also appreciate my husband, who put up with the JW insanity for all those years and still excepts me for who I am. Before I became a JW i wasn't going to have kids, but I decided when I was in there it would be ok to have one (for sort of convoluted reasons) But nonetheless I had my beautiful daughter who was well worth the 20 years of life I spent in the Org. I think I was screwed up before I became a witness and that is why I joined up, so it has all been a process. So the WT woke me up to many truths in life, many of which were the opposite of WT teachings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit