elders. IS going to or throwing a birthday party a DFing offense?

by ?me? 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ?me?
    ?me?

as i recall reading in the flock book (maybe i overlooked it). it is not actually a DFing offense. or is it? it may be "looked down upon" but can you be df'ed? how about if you insisted on celebrating a local holiday , say Thanksgiving? given the Jw logic on b-days ( bad events occured to paul, day of death is better than birth, etc) have you ever dfed someone for celebrating a Birthday? just wondering after the recent post concerning a fader me

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It is not a d/f offense (sorry but dont have any references). However, it seems that you can be d/f for it, depending on how the elders in the cong feel about it. Elders can d/f you for a variety of broad reasons. One is Loose Conduct, which the WTS claims includes being disrespectful to elders. So if they warn you not to go to a birthday party as it could stumble someone you are in lining yourself up to be d/f for disrespect of elders.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

I was involved in a case where a sister (she had not been at meetings for a while) arranged a birthday party for her non witness daughter.

It went judicial, but she was not disfellowshipped.

officially it is viewed as being part of babylon the great because it is one of there "false" teachings.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Going to a birthday party can be viewed as rejecting healthful teachings, and can
    be applied as ignoring counsel. That is not on a list of DF offenses, unless they
    stretch and say it is 'interfaith.'

It gets worse, though. It can be applied to disassociation by a callous body of
    elders. That means removal without a judicial committee. Some here will state
    that cannot be done, but it can. Especially if they know the participant is not
    leading a JW life. There is really no recourse but to write an appeal which could
    be ignored, or to go back to the hall and act as if you did not DA yourself.

The publishers would be puzzled at YOUR actions to fit in after an announcement
    was made.

• freyd
    freyd

The elders can turn it into anything their twisted logic would care to. I don't know if there are any published df'g offenses per se. It's just whether the boe wants an excuse to do it. Then being elders, they are told that their sins can be overlooked so that they can remain elders. It's like all the other crazy and stupid things that go on in this world. There doesn't have to be a good reason, only a reason. Like a person once told me, "I never do anything without a reason and it only has to make sense to me."

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>Some here will state that cannot be done, but it can.

For all their cries of "Unity", the truth is that anything can happen. Any given JC on any given day can DF anybody for anything. There's no such thing as "but.. but.. that's not what the rulebook says!"

A person can always appeal, but if your goal in asking the question is to decide if you're going to draw fire, the answer will always be "maybe/probably".

Dave

• freyd
    freyd

They don't have unity. What they have is uniformity.

• blondie
    blondie

It depends on the elder body. I have heard of people being df'd for marrying a non-jw and that was never a dfing offense anywhere I have lived. It is not listed in the elder's manual or in the publications as a dfing offense. Did you know you can be df'd if you stay overnight unchaperoned with a member of the opposite sex (or a known homosexual/lesbian)...they assume fornication too place even though there are not 2 witnesses. Of course, if the same thing happens during the day, no action can take place because we all know that sex only happens at night (tongue in cheek). There are written and unwritten rules in every cult. It is the unwritten ones that control the rank and file the most because they are mostly unknown and always changing.

Love, Blondie

• freyd
    freyd

And because it depends upon the boe, that's the reason no elder can be trusted. And for that matter nobody in the organization can either.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Have some fun and take all the same reasons given by the Society why birthdays are bad and apply them to nude bathing. Have your research ready to inquire if any elder has ever taken a bath if they ask about your personal behaviors.

Start your research with Bathsheba.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit