elders. IS going to or throwing a birthday party a DFing offense?

by ?me? 16 Replies latest jw friends

• still_in74
    still_in74

I was told by an elder that it was not a disfellowshipping offence, that you just would not have any "privileges".

However, I would imagine that if one threw a party and invited others in the KH to it that could be construed as causing disunity. That would be different than just celebrating your own B-day or attending one.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

not an Elder, but I think there are three factors to consider here.

1. Are you willing to tell them how sorry you are if you get caught?

2. Are there any Elders who don't like you and would jump on the chance to df you?

3. Could the Elders use this as a way blackmailing you to come back to the hall with a threat of DF if you don't? (applies only if you have faded).

----

If you answer yes to either two or three then #1 is of no value. No matter how much you say you are "sorry" they will df because they either are after you to begin with or want to get something out of you.

You actually have the best chance if you are an active member and have no Elders that are holding a grudge. Put on an act in the JC and go from there.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Sorry... when I first read the title to this thread, I read too fast, and read it as...

"Is going to or throwing a DFing party an offense?"

I was going to reply... "What a wonderful idea! Throwing a DFing party!" (I wonder how many would attend?)

Regards,

Jim TX

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And I always thought that going to a birthday party was classified as celebrating it, and all the more so throwing the party. Obviously, you would be in for a visit from Brother Hounder if they found you throwing a birthday party, since they believe that throwing one is tantamount to chopping off someone's head and serving it to the person whose birthday is being celebrated.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius
    2. Are there any Elders who don't like you and would jump on the chance to df you?

or........... are there any elders who dont like someone related to you

ive seen that happen more times than i can count..........

they can use you to try and get back at someone they dont like, by slinging mud on your name which would translate to father mother sister brother....... whoever...... even friends.

extreme case i know but arent these socalled men of faith.......... appointed by holy spirit?

impossible..........

• grassyknoll07
    grassyknoll07

depends on the person and the situation. If you have been warned and "marked" and still show a brazen disrespectful attitude by having the party -- Yes, a JC should be formed for loose conduct. *** it-2 p. 265 Loose Conduct *** Nevertheless, some claiming to be servants of God and Christ turn from the way of light and display a brazen, defiant attitude toward divine law and authority

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

there is a 2001 WT QFR that states if an unbelieving spouse reuqts/demands your presence at a celebration/holiday gathering it is up to one's conscience wheter or not to attend- however not to partake in aything pagan. Of course, in practice this is not done. Simply printed to appear reasonable and less cultish to the general public.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit