Christianity in a nutshell

by serotonin_wraith 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Let's see exactly what people are holding so firmly to, while all the time believing they aren't actually deluded.

Section taken from:

http://www.richarddawkins.net/article,1816,Are-the-New-Atheists-avoiding-the-real-arguments,Edmund-Standing-ButterfliesAndWheelscom

First, let's take a quick look at the basic biblical narrative:

There is an indescribably powerful and intelligent being called God who is in existence prior to the dawn of time. For whatever reason, he decides to create the universe and pays particular attention to planet Earth. Having created the universe, Earth and all the species on it (through 'creating' the Big Bang and 'guiding' evolution in the Williams style of interpretation), he decides to focus all his attention on a collection of tribal groupings in the Middle East, in particular the Israelites who are his 'chosen people' and who he obsesses over, while apparently ignoring the rest of the world's population. He lays down numerous often primitive and arbitrary moral and ceremonial laws, then gets involved in inner tribal politics and land disputes, inciting acts of brutality, war crimes, genocide, and rape along the way. Fast forward to the Middle East under Roman occupation and God decides it's time to put in an appearance. By mystical means he comes to earth in human form, being born of a virgin. He becomes incarnate as a Jewish male and wanders around what is today Israel-Palestine, imparting pithy social commentary (but never giving any systematic explanation of how such ideas might be made politically useful), engaging in faith healing (removing 'demons' from people), magic tricks (such as walking on water and raising a dead man), and ranting on and on about sin, eternal punishment for the majority of the world's population, and the impending end of the world. He gets himself crucified, in order that he can sacrifice himself to himself for our good. A few days later he walks out of his tomb and wanders round with some of his followers (noticeably not bothering to make himself known to anyone but those who already believed in him), before 'ascending' into 'Heaven', to wait for the time when he will return to raise every human who has ever lived in bodily form for judgement, then cast most of us into a pit of fire and take a select few into his 'kingdom' for eternity where they will live happily ever after.

These are the basic building blocks upon which all Christian theology is constructed. Williams and others can protest that of course they don't really see things in such a simplistic and manifestly implausible way, but this narrative underpins the Bible, the Church creeds, liturgies, and centuries of theological speculation.

It doesn't look so impressive when you break it down. But there it is, that's what Christians believe. And quite a few of them don't even believe in evolution or the big bang! Shall we all respect these beliefs? Nah, I don't think so. If you think we should, you should look over what they actually believe again until you can no longer read it with a straight face.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

I'm not a christian but I still respect those who are. And FYI, atheists also vary greatly in what they "believe", hence the ongoing debates regarding nature/nuture, selflessness/selfishness, etc. Would you get irritated with a christian who found what you believe laughable? At the end of the day, if being christian gives someone joy and happiness and fufillment, who is anyone to judge them for that?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Interesting summary by Dawkins.

It's easy to see why the Bible says you have to have FAITH to believe these things. Because on a logical level, it doesn't seem very probable.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

It wasn't from Dawkins, just on his site.

I'm not a christian but I still respect those who are.

Same here. I just don't respect the beliefs.

Would you get irritated with a christian who found what you believe laughable?

If I gave evidence to support what I believed, sure.

if being christian gives someone joy and happiness and fufillment, who is anyone to judge them for that?

Now change the word Christian for some other group.

"if being a member of the KKK gives someone joy and happiness and fufillment, who is anyone to judge them for that?"

"if being a nazi gives someone joy and happiness and fufillment, who is anyone to judge them for that?"

"if being a suicide bomber gives someone joy and happiness and fufillment, who is anyone to judge them for that?"

It's a different story then.

• Gopher
    Gopher

What a person chooses to believe, or not, is strictly their own choice.

However, Christianity by its nature seeks to proselytize. So then we see intrusion of religious belief into science (going way back to the days of Galileo, up till now with creationism theories) , education, and the political process (trying to squeeze by the constitutional separation of church and state).

When an unproven and unprovable set of beliefs affects public life that way, that's when an objection needs to be registered.

As far as Christians laughing at what atheists believe, that's quite common. I actually think many atheists would welcome a conversation or debate with believers, rather than being bothered by such scorn.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    It doesn't look so impressive when you break it down. But there it is, that's what Christians believe.

there WHAT is? You cut and paste an summary article and claim IT to be the belief of millions upon millons of people. I consider myself a Christian, but NOT because of what was written in that flimsy paragraph.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

So which parts of that do you not believe, Double Edge? Help me out here.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Whatever ...

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    So which parts of that do you not believe, Double Edge? Help me out here.

It's not a question of what parts are believed or not believed - its' simplistic tone leaves out the real 'power' behind the reason a person follows the example of One born 2,000 years ago.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Christianity in a smaller nutshell:

alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit