What is with the JW hate towards the depressed?

by 5go 37 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

I am not so sure that they hate the depressed, or not at first anyhow. But this is a topic when belief hits reality. Like everyone has said, all their advice fails to work. Usually the blame is put back onto the one that is suffering (not doing enough, not enough faith, hope, ministry). But what I found is at these times they would show all the biblical references about prayer and the fact that god said that he would give you the "strength beyond normal" (I hate that scripture now) and when it didn’t work then the only conclusion was that it was the person who was suffering that was not putting in sufficient effort. God never fails right? That is when it starts to feel like they hate you. People then try to work out what it is that you are not doing right, because it can’t be the belief that is wrong.

I am glad to have read everyone else’s experience. I didn’t know that other have suffered the same. Thanks everyone.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Because it's not being theocratic and does not show good face to the organization, this is reason why for the stupid grin you see on JWS faces, particularly at the

kingdom halls, a good mind controlled grin to strangers is the theocratic way for all JWS, it's used too for self marketing . I remember many times that we should always smile

and greet people when going door to door and particularly any interested ones that you meet at the hall. Being depressed is simply being untheocratic and weakens the strength of the

society and so therefore it is frowned on.

• faundy
    faundy

One of the symptoms of depression is a lack of motivation. What suffers when you're not motivated? Field service and meeting attendance, of course. So obviously they're going to treat you with the 'you need a shepherding call because of your poor meeting attendance' rather than 'we want to come and see how you are and cheer you up without even opening a Bible.'

Here's what works: 1) People being understanding. 2) People saying the right things and knowing there's nothing they can do but support you through it. 3) People still realising you're a human being with feelings and emotions.

Here's what doesn't work: 1) Elders calling round to offer encouragement with scriptures. 2) People who think dragging you out in field service will make you feel tons better. 3) People who say depression is Satan's tool to infuse 'wrong' thought. (These are all true.)

One sister I went to see for professional counselling told an elder I was seeing her. Er- CONFIDENTIALITY ALERT!!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Wouldn't describe it as a hate. In my case, it was a hassle they didn't need. My 'friends' didn't want to know, and I lost most acquaintances because I wasn't a source of happiness and light all the time. The elders didn't have time for it.

Dunno, I don't think they stand out from the general population with regards to ignorance about depression though.

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

It's because they are not keeping up with Jehovah's chariot (organisation) and therefore unfit for purpose (field service/meetings)

Its sink or swim all the way to paradise.

• Jenlet
    Jenlet

Depressed people bring down the monthly averages.

• R.F.
    R.F.

Many good thoughts here.

I think that, as has been mentioned already, that the illusion of this being the happiest organization on earth is lost over the fact that so many are depressed. Thus, the depressed become viewed as a burden that is going against the very goal of the organization, which is to give off the appearance of being the world's happiest people.

R.F.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I just commented on this on another thread - to the effect that really depression never used to be mentioned - even though i'd say 50% of the elder's wives seemed to be suffering from it. Apparently its more dub acceptable now. But i think its because dubs are god's happy people so the depressed dont do well for their image.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

An organization led by the uneducated is hardly in a position to understand complex issues such as clinical depression. I went through a severe bout of depression a little over 10 years ago. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time. I went from running a successful business and doing ok to barely getting out of bed and staring at the walls in my office in a very short period of time. Injuring myself finally got the attention of the elders. One elders response, (I was leaked this later by an elder friend), was "why is HE so depressed? Did he max his credit card out?" Other than tossing me a few articles I was on my own. They don't have the education and training and so we gets pigeon holed into someone who's disgruntled and/or doing poorly in service.

• R.F.
    R.F.
    One elders response, (I was leaked this later by an elder friend), was "why is HE so depressed? Did he max his credit card out?" Other than tossing me a few articles I was on my own.

Such a typical elder response.

Right before I "left" the congregation, I was going through a bout of depression. The first question to come out of every elder's mouth that I talked to was......"did you do anything of a judicial nature that you need to tell us about?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit