What is with the JW hate towards the depressed?

by 5go 37 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

There was an article on depression a couple years ago in the Awake that addressed it quite well, actually. It encouraged people who have depression to seek medical help, as it is no more shameful than having a cold. They also had examples of people whose elders made it worse by saying they were lacking. The society doesn't encourage elders to hate depressed people, I think what it really is is a lot of elders simply don't understand it. I was telling a NURSE about it at my last doctor's visit and she didn't even understand.

Most people think that clinical depression is the same as regular depression, which is not true. They think that because regular depression happens for a reason, then clinical depression must happen for a reason, too. It can, but not always. Most of the time, clinical depression happens when someone feels down, worthless, and unloved for and extended period of time (at least 2 weeks) and for no conceivable reason. The reason they feel that way is a chemical imbalance in the brain's seratonin levels. It can be affected by the amount of daylight one experiences or the season as well.

The Awake article directly stated that feeling depressed is not due to being spiritually weak, and advised those with the symptoms to seek medical treatment.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

After reading more posts on the thread, my own personal statements come out of the 70's ideology out of the JWS, which not might be accurate due to not being recent.

But nevertheless I think that most people will know what I was talking about.

• Aleman
    Aleman

I think most of the people here are right, however it also depends on what the person is depressed of. If it has to do with break-ups, car problems, self-image, or other little things then they figure you will soon get over it.

But, if it has to do with a dead son, father, mother, near death experiance, or other major traumatic situations, they will be there with you. Sometimes, the whole congragation will show up and try to help in anything they can.

When my wife had a miscarrige (I hope I spelled this right) the whole cong. went to our house and helped clean, cook, study, and pay most of our bills. They were great!

-Aleman

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

When my wife had a miscarrige (I hope I spelled this right) the whole cong. went to our house and helped clean, cook, study, and pay most of our bills. They were great!

That's really wonderful.

Glad to hear it.

There are many kind Jehovah's Witnesses.

Of course you realize that there are also many kind non-Witnesses?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I believe the Tower has done a lot to try and address the problem of depression within its own ranks (Is there an underlying reason?)

g04 1/8 p. 13 How Others Can Help *

Discerning Christians, therefore, avoid implying that depressed people are responsible for their own suffering. Such remarks would be no more helpful than those offered by Job’s false comforters. (Job 8:1-6) The fact is that in many cases depression will not improve unless it is treated medically. This is especially so when a person is severely depressed, perhaps even suicidal. In such cases, professional attention is essential. Still, there is much that fellow Christians can do to be supportive. Of course, patience is required......

The problem is usually that your local elders are often as thick as two planks when it comes identifying it and reacting in the right way...When I was fading our local P/O (a man whose idea of education was to read the "Aid" book) said to me bluntly "Lets face it , yer depressed arn't yer" ...It is a good job that I was not.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Because if you would just follow the advice in the Watchtower magazine you would not be depressed.

People that are depressed are just to lazy to take Jehovah's advice. They deserve it.

• slmdf
    slmdf

Hi there!

I used to get in so many fights with my fellow elders about this. And I used to raise HELL at the CO/Elders meetings during his visit. The CO's and DO's are way worse (unempathetic) than the elders. They have NO toleration for depression or any mental or emotional illness. It's so sad.

I agree with flipper that they don't understand, but I think sspo hit it right on the head, "They just don't know what to do with them." You see, it takes time and nurturing (along with many other things) to help someone who is depressed (typically). If JDubs take time to nurture someone who can't be quickly cured, then they are taking time away from other "precious" things such as the ministry and they are setting a bad example for meeting attendance. This was definitely true of me with my ex, who is depressed all the time. Here I am, an elder, and my own wife doesn't come to the meetings. It's really a conundrum for them. They just don't know what to do. They don't care to learn how to help. Nor are they interested in investing the time to truly, empathetically help.

Just my $.02.

• Room 215
    Room 215

JWs, or at least the leadership, are very uneasy about the subject, because it gives the lie to their boast that ``JWs are the happiest people on earth." Quite to the contrary, the unremitting drumbeat of ``do more" and denigrating any sense of self worth or personal self-fulfillment and achievement has resulted in an unhealthy emotional environment within their ``spiritual paradise." Nervous breakdowns and even suicides among them are far more frequent than they would ever care to admit to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit