Dare you have an opinion here?

by James Free 37 Replies latest jw friends

• James Free
    James Free

I have noticed that if someone has an opinion that does not go with the flow on this forum they often get insulted and shot down in flames. I thought this was a DISCUSSION forum, but I am sadly dismayed to read so much intolerance of another's opinion. If you appear to support the JW's in any way, even though people like me may disagree with you, you are entitled to your opinion.

I think there would be less lurkers and more contributors if we all remembered that.

Am I wrong?

• oompa
    oompa

Yes you are wrong you Moron!!! Now get the crap out of here and go back to your little congregation!!! lol....oompa

• oompa
    oompa

Actually James, it is hard for a lot of poster to hold back at times. There is still a lot being held inside I think. I have several times defended JW things when it needed to be and reminded posters to keep it real.....that JW's are weird enough without have to exagerate or misrepresent things. It would probably be a good idea to hold back a bit with some newbies......oompa

• Satanus
    Satanus

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion. It's people who have differing opinions that often challenge those opinions. That's when facts, if they are available, have to be brought in to back up opinions. Generally, opinions that cannot be supported do not do well. The internet is a pretty good place to find facts on practically any subject. It all ends up to being a growing experience.

S

• James Free
    James Free
    There is still a lot being held inside I think.

That's a good point. But it's no excuse either. Many of us have been hurt by the JW religion and some may still be inside looking for a way out. Some others may still be blinded by the faith - they need our patience and understanding. No?

• penny2
    penny2

Phew, oompa, I'm glad you added that second post.

I must have missed the intolerance, but I agree - everyone is entitled to their opinion. After all, most of us were JWs in the past.

• oompa
    oompa

Penny posted:

Phew, oompa, I'm glad you added that second post.

I must have missed the intolerance,

...............................................................That was as good as I could insult and shoot down james....it's early

and James....are some trying to actually "provoke" with their post? Yes, it may be more interesting, but could be construed as unkind or rude. Once you have been here awhile, a little banter would be ok it seems........oompa

• *summer*
    *summer*

I have to agree with you, James.

This being said, I also have to agree with oompa. Some people here have been through a lifetime of brainwashing, control, and abuse. They have good days and bad days. This forum sometimes become a "venting" place. And "venting" is part of healing.

My thin skin is slowly getting thicker:-) I try to always keep in mind that this is indeed a forum. People are allowed to have their own opinion, just as I am allowed to have mine. The moderators do a great jobs. Nothing is perfect. But this forum is a fine place altogether:-)

God bless~

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

NO

just kidding.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing so long as it's done respectfully. Opinions are fine too, but if you are debating someone who has no backup in their argument then they will appear foolish if they have stated their opinion. Thats not anyones fault but the individuals. Whoever that might be, including myself at times. I think we all can see a good argument that surpasses our own once in a while. I have learned that it really is a good idea to wait at times and see what is being said.

I'm not here to win anything. Only to learn and vent a bit. If someone is being disrespectrful for no dicernable reason then I would say they ought to get whats coming to them. If you let people walk over you it sends out a strong message that you are a punching bag. I only come across it once in a while but I have had to show in the past that I won't have my dignity stepped on. Sometimes you can make an incorrect character judgement but all you have to work with is what you know. I once thought a couple of folks on here were jerks. Sometimes, thats just a persons style. I only get upset if they cross the line. The other category is those that wish to make a name for themselves by taking out a biggie. Thats just plain bad motives.

Anyways with these parameters, I do fine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit