Quick Q re: "This Generation"

by Sirona 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Breakthrough!

I spoke to my JW mum about the new Watchtower study magazine and how in the first issue there is a change in "light" regarding the anointed.

She was floored and totally accepted that if they started to accept new anointed ones (non-replacements) that it *could* indicate that the society are extending the time once again regarding the coming of armageddon. The idea is that if they accept new anointed ones, then they could be fairly young, hence they could still be around for a lot more years!

Anyway - My question before I go further with her on this, is please could someone clarify the exact "generation" teaching. I know there was new light but I'm not sure of the exact take they have.

This generation - they now say that it does NOT mean that the people alive in 1914 will be alive at the end?

Sirona

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

No, since 1995 they have been claiming that people (generation) that have seen the signs that started in 1914 will not go away. Do not ask me to explain that but obviously it can be everybody.

• Sirona
    Sirona

So someone born in 1970, who has seen the composite "signs" is part of the scriptural "generation"?

?

Sirona

• ringo5
  • AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

As far as I understand it...

The Generation teaching(pre 1995) was that SOME of the generation that were (of an age of understanding, then changed to just alive) in 1914 would make it through Armageddon.

Then (post 1995), the Generation became simply a term for "a bunch of people", referring to a "wicked" group.

Now (as of the Annual Meeting 2007), the Generation is due to become "The Anointed".

So you now have the situation where the anointed form "the generation" that will ENTIRELY pass away before Armageddon. This is daft really, as when Jesus said "this generation will be no means pass away", he was speaking to people that weren't anointed (the anointing didn't take place until Pentecost). With the "new light" shining out of the May 1st 2007 Questions From Readers, the "anointed" rules were relaxed to allow pretty much anyone that feels that it applies to them to be able to consider themselves anointed WITHOUT BEING CHALLENGED by the congregation. Hopefully I've got a handle on it... but I didn't see that in the new Jan 15th 2008 Watchtower - I only saw clarification of the 1935 change. Can someone point me in the direction of the change if it was there please. Thanks AO
  • AlphaOmega
  • Sirona
    Sirona

Wow thanks for those links.

I now understand the following:

* The JWs said that the calling of the anointed had been over in 1935 and any new ones called were replacements for anointed ones who fell away

* They NOW say that the number (144000) was not sealed in 1935 and that new ones could be called to be anointed (not as replacements)

The result of this is that they will prolong the years left before Armageddon. Anointed Ones will be alive for many years to come, since some younger people could now be called to fill Jehovah's requirement of 144000.

What I still don't fully understand is the actual "generation" idea. It has been said that the generation could now mean "the anointed". Are there any references to that in the literature of the JWs?

Thanks!

Sirona

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Wow thanks for those links.

I now understand the following:

* The JWs said that the calling of the anointed had been over in 1935 and any new ones called were replacements for anointed ones who fell away

* They NOW say that the number (144000) was not sealed in 1935 and that new ones could be called to be anointed (not as replacements)

The result of this is that they will prolong the years left before Armageddon. Anointed Ones will be alive for many years to come, since some younger people could now be called to fill Jehovah's requirement of 144000.

What I still don't fully understand is the actual "generation" idea. It has been said that the generation could now mean "the anointed". Are there any references to that in the literature of the JWs?

Thanks!

Sirona

Not yet... as far as I know it is only verbal at the moment. Apparantly it was anounced at a shareholders meeting. We will have to watch and wait. A poster on here dug out some old references that show that the concept of the "generation = anointed" was taught in the old Watchtowers before being dropped. I'll see if I can find those posts. AO

• Sirona
    Sirona

What is today's teaching on the Generation?

Thanks a lot

SIrona

• AlphaOmega

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit