New arrangement for field service?

by Zico 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Zico
    Zico

I don't know if this is a Worldwide thing because I didn't go the meeting where the arrangement was announced, but it's being done in my Congregation anyway.

The arrangement is that they're assigning each pioneer to 1 member of the Congregation for 6 months. During those 6 months the member assigned to the pioneer is meant to make time to work with the pioneer as much as possible, so they can strengthen each other. The idea is meant to be that eventually each member of the Congregation will get a go. Goody!

I don't know how long it will take the pioneers in my Congregation to get round each member. Probably about 30 years since there's only 3 pioneers and one of them's off to Kosovo or something soon.

I would guess they will start with irregular ones, to 'assist' them then. Faders beware.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Been done here in the U.S. already, a long time ago. I was one of the first sisters in our hall to have a pioneer assigned to "encourage" me to get out in service more. Basically they assign someone to you if your hours, (you know the hourly requirement they don't have? wink, wink), are low. It is to get you out more and make the society look better on paper. Lilly

• Gopher
    Gopher

As Lil said, this was tried. It was done here in 1999.

It didn't really work. The pioneers wanted to stay in their routines, working among themselves at the times they wanted to go out.

They didn't want to have to work evenings or weekends with the dregs.

• Matty
    Matty

The Pioneer Assist Program is a loving provision from Jehovah. It was created to build up a congregation's spirituality and unity and zeal for the ministry. Apparently.

The basic deal is that the body of Elders meet together and discuss the congregations publishers and build up a list of all the ones in the congregation they personally see as "weak" in particular aspects of the ministry. It generally would mean ones that have very low hours, or ones who are irregular. Special emphasis is usually given to the teens in the congregation. I have never personally seen any elderly ones on this scheme. Anyway, they then match these "weak" ones up to exemplary pioneers within the congregation so that these ones can be assisted to reach out for greater privileges of service.

Remember the Body of Elders actually decide who amongst the brothers and sisters within their flock are picked, it certainly isn't a voluntary exercise. The Elders could make an announcement at the Service Meeting and say something like "The pioneers are always there to help the other publishers in the congregation, just approach one if you need assistance and they will be more than happy to help you in whatever aspect of the ministry you need that help in" No, they have their eyes on particular ones they see as needing that encouragement.

The first thing that the poor nominated publisher knows about being "in the scheme" is that they get an Elder and a Pioneer approach them before or after a meeting. The Elder says that they have been chosen to partake in the Pioneer Assist scheme, but they don't have to go through with it if they don't want to of course... All this while the Pioneer stares at the poor little publisher. No pressure there, of course.

The Kingdom Ministry says that you are encouraged to accept this help humbly and respectfully and in the spirit it is given. So, what if you refuse to accept this loving provision? What if you are shy and don't like going out on the ministry with people you don't know that well? Well, if you refuse you get labelled, that's what happens! You're card is marked by the Elders as one being "unwilling to take direction".

In the weeks that ensue the other brothers and sisters find out who are in the scheme, it's not difficult. It's a bit like when you find out when a brother and sister are dating, you see them together all the time. The spotlight is firmly on the chosen brother or sister, everybody can plainly see that this one is was thought of as a spiritual weakling by the Body of Elders, and basically needs grabbing by the scruff of the neck in order to go out on the ministry. You may think that's degrading and humiliating, but we are talking about a loving provision here, so everyone looks on and smiles and is very nice. However in their minds they are going "HAAA HAAA!" Just like Nelson in the Simpsons!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Gopher,

I thought the pioneers were like that only in my kh. I am so glad you made that point. It will not work because like you said, the pioneers like working only with each other in thier own routine. You know, doing those creative "pioneer" hours. The elders in my hall had to literally beg the pioneers to work with someone and after a few months the whole thing fizzled out. Lilly

• Clam
    Clam

Hiya Zico. That doesn't seem to fit right. 6 months per member, like you say will take years. I'd understood that Armageddon was so close you could smell it. Wasn't there a rumour about the time of the last tract that FS was stopping altogether?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

When I was approached with this offer of the "loving arrangement", the elder used my kids against me. He said he noticed it was hard for me to get out regularly "no doubt because you have two young children" and that the pioneer sister assigned to me will assist me with the children so I can enjoy the ministry more.

To tell you the truth I was just so numb and burned out being a mother with two young kids in a kh that HATED kids that I just said sure why not. It didn't last long anyway because the pioneer sister kept cancelling on me anyway. Lilly

• Zico
    Zico

Interesting. It won't work in my Congregation either. My Dad is an elder, and he said, and I quote 'It's a load of s**t'

Clam,

Whilst it's been said that the pioneers are meant to work with everyone, I'm sure it's only designed for the weak ones, they probably just don't want to say this to try to avoid making the selected look 'weak'. Which, it will do anyway, of course.

• freyd
    freyd

Is this a dusted off version of the old helper program?

• DJK
    DJK

An old phrase comes to mind..."The blind leading the blind".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit