Amazing backflip at the sunday meeting - Nostradamus and 2012

by stay young and beautiful 32 Replies latest jw friends

• stay young and beautiful
    stay young and beautiful

Hi everyone,

Been lurking for many a year now. My life works in seasons and I find myself doing at one time of the year something which I did at the same time the last year, and so on. It's at around this time that I begin to focus on my old JW life. Been gone now for five years, but I still get to hear the nonsense that they come out with.

On sundays meeting, the flock were told that Nostradamus earmarked 2012 as the end of the world (so did the Mayans, but they didn't mention that) - but Nostradamus is no longer considered to be a false prophet, but rather, the speaker said 'he may well be right, but what he didn't know was the time or the hour!'

Isn't this an amazing backflip. Didn't they use to slag these people off?

• badboy
    badboy

ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Welcome to our forum, SYAB !!!

Interesting post. So now a speaker goes and cites some interpretation of Nostradamus as proof the end is near?

They ARE getting really desperate!

I know that sometimes when visiting speakers give statements out of line with WT Society teachings, sometimes the local elders will pull them aside and tell them so. I wonder if that speaker got an earful for that, because I have never heard the Society quote Nostradamus as a reliable source!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

thats not a backflip...

and its not jw doctrine..

its just a factual statement - he might be right - and he doesn't know the day or the hour

just guesswork - like the rest

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Wow! Seriously?? I know they didn't mention anything about the Mayans....but I find it disturbing that both their calendar and Nostradamus pointed to 2012 as the end of the world....

The Mayan calendar hadn't been discovered in Nostradamus' time right??

stay young and beautiful

Yes, most of it is guesswork. Of course, it is always just 'eager brother and sisters' who get 'carried away' and they are always the ones who make the mistakes. Just like in '75. Brilliant controlling tactics, but where did they learn it from?

• JeffT
    JeffT

I am astounded that a JW would quote Nostradamus. What's next: Edgar Casey? J.Z.Knight? I suspect this guy is going to be counseled about what he says on the platform.

stay young and beautiful

I am not sure about when the Mayan calender was discovered, but of course those in the know wouldn't need to excavate anything to find out something which is common knowledge to them anyway. Not that I am saying 2012 will be the end of the world...

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    it is always just 'eager brother and sisters' who get 'carried away'

not to mention eager ex brothers and sisters

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

December 22nd 2012 - the world is colonized by alien creatures - I know because I always followed The X Files...

BTW . I have noticed some strange things said in Public Talks lately. Is it because the outlines are so old that they try to spice them up a bit? Are the current crop of speakers so crass that they say stupid things?

At least they will only be 30 mins soon..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit