My sisters wedding...

by zamora251978 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mary
    Mary
    Below is a copy of the e-mail my sister sent me. I had to make arrangements for my kids to be babysat somewhere else until after the wedding. There little hearts are broken. My seven year old says that the bible teaches love not hate.. Bear in mind my sister is not baptized nor her soon to be husband. They were told they cannot marry in the kingdom hall because of this. Now I guess they can only invite who the elder, brother L**** says can come. Apparently, this means I only have permission for the ceremony. I paid for the hall where they will actually have the ceremony. I'm so upset

Just a minute, what am I missing here? Your sister and future B-I-L can't get married at the Hall because they're not baptized, but the elders are still trying to tell them who they can and can't invite??!! Your sister should tell them to piss off and mind their own frigging business!! I am absolutely stunned at this and at your sister's willingness to obey what this elder has said to her! Are you df'd? Even so, it's none of his damn business if you show up. If it were me, I'd phone this elder directly and tell him to mind him own god damn business. I would then make sure I showed up at the ceremony with my kids and I'd attend the reception afterwards. Unbelievable.......

• Mary
    Mary
    I had gone to her engagment party with my fiance' and my children. That elder L like someone said Looks-down-his-nose told me that my prescence was not welcome and that I should remove myself.

This guy sounds like he's a few bricks short of a load and thinks he's either Rutherford or Hitler. If you want to scare the hell out of him, talk to a lawyer about this guy 'harassing' you. I have a feeling that Brother L is a typical bully: he just picks on those that he thinks he can control. Better yet, why don't you give me his telephone number? I'll make him an offer he can't refuse.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Don't do that - it's your sisters day, not yours. Be quiet, and loving, and calm. Be the person there who makes sense, who makes her happy, and isn't an idiot.

Just be happy for her.

It IS "her day", but does that give the bride a free pass to dump all over someone that some elder is attempting to railroad? IS it what the bride really wants----or is this another stupid made-up Watchtower rule? If the bride had been left alone to plan this wedding the way she really wanted....would this even BE a problem at all?

I feel sorry for the bride because she is being manipulated by WTS MEN that are already running every detail of her entire LIFE----although she is not even baptized. The groundwork is being laid for future shunning activity on anyone the WTS does not "approve" for whatever reason. It is a purely rotten and unloving cult.

• zamora251978
    zamora251978

I think my mother did some work on her. She said that she is doing whatever she thinks is right to be happy on her wedding day!!! She also told me that she wants to see our sister in the "new system of things" when she is resurrected. She asked me if I didn't want to see her? I told her I did not believe the way she does and that I never had. I told her I just went along with everything to make my mother happy. Anyway, she said that she loves me and that she always will. Whatever, I was so pissed off yesterday. Today I am actually relieved. I am getting married next year and my fiance' and I have a lot of planning to do. I know you guys don't know but my sister had a brain tumor. The gave her "red blood cells" during the surgery which let me know that she wanted a blood transfusion "in the event" well anyway she died because she aspirated vomit to her lungs. She had no control over half of her body. the rest of my family was really upset because the Dr. said the last thing they could do was give her a blood transfusion and wait. Needless to say none was given until I asked the doctor to show us any document with her handwriting showing otherwise. That was shown hours later and she passed away. Of course my non J-dub family was really upset and they said alot of stuff to my mom and others. Of course, I would have reacted the same. I was just a zombie during the whole thing. I finally decided to go to school get a job and leave my controlling husband and the organization. I did it all at the same time and I recieved counseling. Well I can say that I am really happy now except for the fact of me watching my sisters and my mother letting themselves be controlled. They are letting themselves be brained washed. I am glad I never let that get out-of-control on me at least as a parent. My kids are happy and now they look at my mother and sisters as people "who don't know any better" They are upset about the wedding but they also say they would never want to be controlled and taught how to hate. I think it upsets my mother that I have not gone back to the organization because of the fact that the Elder who spoke to me about my wicked ways reassured me that in less than a year I would be crawling back to the congregation asking for forgivness. That only in the organization would I find true happiness etc. And that my children would not respect me. In my opinion they act better then they did before. I am talking to my dad about the whole thing and I will ask him if he plans on attending my wedding because I know my mother and my sisters will not go. I will just be wondering if he

will be their to walk me down the aisle. If not I have a back up. Thank you guys for all your support. I have finally found a place to vent and share my feelings. I really need the support. I will keep you posted on the wedding, and on my wedding plans.

Lulu

• unique1
    unique1

As far as I can tell the elder has NO prescendence for this. The only reference I can find says that others may leave if a df'd person comes to the reception and therefore you may choose not to invite them but NOWHERE does it say Not To!!!

Weddings

ThatHonorJehovah

The following article on Christian weddings was originally prepared in Ethiopia to provide helpful guidance in the Amharic language for many in that land who have recently become Jehovah’s Witnesses. It deals with some local customs and practices that may be different from those where you live. You will likely find the contrast quite interesting. At the same time, the article presents balanced Biblical counsel that you will see is applicable even if wedding customs differ in your locale.

"CHRISTIAN Weddings That Bring Joy" was the title of a fine study article in TheWatchtower of April 15, 1984. The next article in that issue was entitled "Find Balanced Enjoyment at Wedding Feasts." (For anyone contemplating marriage, there is additional wise counsel in the books MakingYourFamilyLifeHappy, chapter 2, and YourYouth—GettingtheBestOutOfIt, chapters 19 and 20.) Many have become Jehovah’s Witnesses since those articles appeared, so we want to review some points that are particularly applicable to our area, as well as other suitable points that will help us to make weddings occasions that honor Jehovah, the Originator of marriage.

A question that might be considered first is, When should a wedding take place? Should the date be governed by the dates of the traditional local wedding season? Local belief is that any marriage concluded at any other time of the year would not be successful. This is a superstition without foundation, for many married couples who are happily and unitedly serving Jehovah did not marry during the traditional season. We do not believe in good or bad luck. (Isaiah 65:11; Colossians 2:8) We would not help unbelieving relatives to see the difference between truth and falsehood if we set a wedding date according to their superstitions. The fact is, Christians can get married in any month.

When a wedding talk is arranged after the necessary civil ceremony, it would be wise not to have a time gap of many days between the two events. If the couple would like to have a wedding talk in the Kingdom Hall, they should approach the congregation elders well ahead of time to request the use of the hall. The local elders will confirm that the arrangements for the ceremony would leave them with clean consciences. The time should be set so that there will be no conflict with any congregational activity. The brother chosen to give the wedding talk will meet beforehand with the prospective bridegroom and bride to offer helpful advice and to be sure that there are no moral or legal impediments to the marriage and that he is in accord with the plans for any social gathering to follow. The wedding talk should be about half an hour in length and given in a dignified manner, emphasizing the spiritual aspect. The wedding talk is definitely more important than any reception that may follow.

A Christian wedding is a good opportunity to show that we are "no part of the world." (John 17:14; James 1:27) Our orderliness should stand out. This would mean that we would be on time instead of making people wait, possibly interfering with congregational activities. This is especially something for the bride to appreciate, since worldly relatives may urge her to be late—as if to enhance her importance. By being punctual a mature Christian sister can demonstrate that spiritual qualities, like humility and consideration, are important to her! Also, when a photographer is invited to record the occasion, orderliness is important. We do well to require that the photographer come dressed in jacket, tie, and formal trousers and that he does not interfere with the talk when he takes pictures. No pictures should be taken during the prayer. Our orderliness will honor Jehovah and give a fine witness. There is no need to try to conform to social formalities that would eclipse the real meaning of the event.

A reception is not a requirement for a successful wedding, but there is no Scriptural objection to such a happy occasion. However, such a gathering for true Christians should be different from worldly receptions marked by extravagance, heavy drinking, overeating, wild music, suggestive dancing, and even fights. The Bible categorizes "revelries" with the works of the flesh. (Galatians 5:21) It is easier to have proper control when it is not a very large gathering. There is no need to erect a tent to satisfy popular customs. Should some decide to use a tent for reasons of space or weather, this is a personal matter.

Experience has shown that a good way to limit the number of guests is by using specific invitations in writing. It is wiser to invite individuals instead of whole congregations, and as orderly Christians, we should respect such limitations. Written invitations also help us to avoid the embarrassment of having a disfellowshipped person show up at the reception, for if that happened, many brothers and sisters might choose to leave. (1 Corinthians 5:9-11) If a couple invite unbelieving relatives or acquaintances, these will no doubt be limited in number, giving more importance to those "related to us in the faith." (Galatians 6:10) Some have chosen to invite worldly acquaintances or unbelieving relatives to the wedding talk rather than to the reception. Why? Well, there have been cases when worldly relatives created such an embarrassing situation at a wedding reception that many brothers and sisters felt that they could not remain. Some couples have arranged to have only a small dinner with close family members and Christian friends.

In accord with John 2:8, 9, it is practical to select a "director of the feast." The bridegroom will want to choose a trusted Christian who will see to it that orderliness and high standards are maintained. Where friends bring gifts, this should be done without "showy display." (1 John 2:16) Music can be happy without being tainted by questionable lyrics, excessive noise, or wild rhythm. Many have found it best to have an elder listen in advance to the music to be played. Dancing may bring pitfalls, as many traditional dances are derived from fertility dancing and feature inappropriate sensuality. The "cake and champagne moment" has sometimes been a signal for worldly people to cut loose. In fact, many Christian couples have decided not to have any alcohol at wedding receptions, thus avoiding problems.

Since we want to honor Jehovah, we will avoid a showy display to attract excessive attention to ourselves. Even secular publications have spoken against the popular spirit of being extravagant. How unwise it would be for a couple to go into debt because of a fancy wedding and then suffer deprivations for years in order to pay for the expenses of that one day! Of course, any dress worn on the occasion should be modest and well-arranged, befitting a person professing to reverence God. (1 Timothy 2:9, 10) The article "Christian Weddings Should Reflect Reasonableness" (TheWatchtower of January 15, 1969) made these interesting comments on apparel:

"One’s wedding is a special occasion, so attention is ordinarily given to looking joyful and attractive. Yet this does not mean that one must wear a certain type of gown or suit. One does well to consider local styles, expense and personal tastes. . . . Would it be reasonable, though, to buy such an expensive costume as to cause a financial burden for themselves or others? . . . Some brides have enjoyed using the gown of a dear friend or relative. Others have received great satisfaction from making their own bridal outfit, possibly in that way being able to have a garment that could be used on other occasions in the future. And it is perfectly proper for a couple to wed in their most attractive regular clothing . . . Others who might be in position to have an elaborate wedding may personally desire to have a ‘quiet wedding’ because of the criticalness of the times."

Similarly, the wedding party (the friends of the bridegroom and the female companions of the bride) does not need to be large. They too would not want to draw undue attention to themselves by their dress and actions. While a disfellowshipped person could be allowed to attend the talk at the Kingdom Hall, TheWatchtower of April 15, 1984, said: "It would be unfitting to have in the wedding party people who are disfellowshipped or whose scandalous life-style grossly conflicts with Bible principles."

Though Jesus attended a wedding, we cannot imagine that he would approve of the popular custom of having a cortege of cars circulate through town with much noise; police have even fined drivers for honking in a wedding procession. (See Matthew 22:21.) In all of this, rather than copying the showy display or typical actions of the people of the nations, Christians manifest the wisdom that is with the modest one.—Proverbs 11:2.

But what about attending weddings of neighbors, worldly fellow workers, or distant relatives and acquaintances? Each Christian must personally decide on this. (Since she isn't a christian according to the JW's I don't see how this entire article applies to her at all)It is good to bear in mind that our time is precious, since we need time for our ministry, personal study, and other family and congregational pursuits. (Ephesians 5:15, 16) On weekends, we have meetings and field service that we do not want to miss. (Hebrews 10:24, 25) The timing of many weddings conflicts with assemblies or special service efforts linked to the Lord’s Evening Meal. We should not permit ourselves to become distracted from making the same special efforts that our brothers around the world are making to attend the Lord’s Evening Meal. Before coming to a knowledge of the truth, we spent much time with worldly people, perhaps in circumstances that dishonored God. (1 Peter 4:3, 4) Now our priorities are different. It is always possible to wish a worldly couple well by sending a card or dropping in for a brief visit on another day. Some have used such occasions to give a witness, sharing some scriptures that are fitting for newlyweds.

A wedding where the spiritual aspects dominate over worldly ways will truly honor Jehovah. By making sure that they keep separate from the world with its superstitions and excesses, by not letting it interfere with regular theocratic activities, and by manifesting modesty instead of a showy display, Christians will enjoy the occasion. Moreover, they will be able to look back at the event with a good conscience and fond memories. With a display of wisdom and reasonableness, may all our Christian weddings give a witness to honesthearted observers.

• Fleur
    Fleur
    She also told me that she wants to see our sister in the "new system of things" when she is resurrected. She asked me if I didn't want to see her?

AHHHHHHH!!!!! Can I just scream and bang my head against the wall now?

How many of us did the JW get/keep with the resurrection garbage???

I got baptized within 3 months of a CO talk saying that if you wanted to see your loved ones in the new system you had to be baptized. I would have marched into hell itself as a child to see my grandfather again. I got baptized instead-same difference in the end.

The only reason my child has ever at any points shown any interest in what her father was trying to teach her was the idea of seeing her own grandfather again.

They're holding your sister (the bride) hostage over the thought she will get to see your sister who passed away again (I'm sorry for your loss. . .even if it was years ago has to be so tough to lose a sibling). I remember that feeling it's not a good one.

If they didn't have the resurrection and they didn't have shunning- all KH's would be a ghost town with nothing but tumbleweed in attendance on Sunday.

This is the stuff that gets to me.

My new advice on this, and this is JMHO- but if it were me, I'd just skip the whole wedding entirely. You do not need to go to be looked down on or to feel bad about yourself.

I do not regret choosing not to go to my beloved grandmother's memorial service because the JW family had made such a point of telling me if I did I'd be shunned very obviously and very publicly. They knew that woman was my heart. They didn't care.

If your sister really wanted you at the wedding- they'd elope, and have you as their witness. She's making her choice to have the bigger wedding with everyone there but you. That is her choice. Call her on it.

Tell her she can't have it both ways. Either you're invited to it all- or you just don't go.

Stand up for yourself- believe me it'll feel a lot better afterward knowing that you didn't just take whatever they were willing to offer you- and that you're taking care of yourself above all.

hugs,

essie

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I just had my wedding and I know how it is. My cousin who is unbaptized was told he couldnt' go to my wedding. Then I had no idea who was going to walk me down the aisle until 15 minutes before the wedding my mother showed up and said she wanted to do it.

I want to shake some sense into your sister! This makes me so ill! It amazes me how anyone can let others control them like that. And what's worse is that I used to be like her !!

I

• zamora251978
    zamora251978

Yep, I have to talk to my dad and see if he is going to walk me down the aisle. If not I am getting my uncle as a back up.

• dust
    dust
    Yep, I have to talk to my dad and see if he is going to walk me down the aisle. If not I am getting my uncle as a back up.

My wife walked alone, and it was beautiful. Not a single dry eye in the church.

• carla
    carla

My kids are happy and now they look at my mother and sisters as people "who don't know any better" They are upset about the wedding but they also say they would never want to be controlled and taught how to hate.

'and taught how to hate", wow, I love that! You should be proud of your kids to see it for what it is.

Sorry about all the rest. I wonder what will happen when one of my girls gets married? Will their own dad be able to walk them down? doubtful if he will. But I sure will!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit